NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

digital setting circles for dob

hi guys im after some help been looking inti dsc for a dob argo nevis looks good, emailed the usa supplier and said they can do the complete set up encoders, brackets cables and argo controller including delivery was around £750, read on here about the nexus system and use your phone as the display, anyone use this or no of something equivalent . thanks guys. oh yea the reason for this is i have been spoilt with goto so star hopping is going to be a nightmare, cheers

Yes I use the nexus, i think its brilliant. You can get it direct from Astro devices. Nexus 190 usd encoders 80usd each cables 25 usd. 35 usd delivery. You'll need to work out how to fix it to the dob yourself.

Yes I use the nexus, i think its brilliant. You can get it direct from Astro devices. Nexus 190 usd encoders 80usd each cables 25 usd. 35 usd delivery. You'll need to work out how to fix it to the dob yourself.

Sorry, got that wrong, the nexus unit is 220 USD

Maybe try a printed az circle on the base and a wixey for the alt... Cheapo but effective

cheap like you say, but i was after making it basically a push to system, thanks though

I really don't know much about it Mike but I notice that Sumerian use StellarCat and DeepSkyParts , maybe they are the Euro equivalent of ArgoNavis? Could be worth sending them an email anyway. :)

worth a go mike thanks

thanks scoot, funny i was reading your right up before and it sounds great, was it easy to do ?. am i right in thinking you have a 00 dob as well

thanks dave i remmember seeing this a while ago, but im after something with a small hand held device like a smartphone, very clever though, cheers

I use my iPad but you can use a phone. It connects with wifi so no wires to get in the way.

This is a screen shot. The blue circles in the middle represent where the scope is currently pointing. As I move the scope the circles move with it, you just line it up with your target and push the scope until the circles are over your target. The single blue circles are items I've set up in an observing list. You can create your own or use the set ones.

post-20507-0-70021400-1386450811_thumb.j

I use my iPad but you can use a phone. It connects with wifi so no wires to get in the way.

This is a screen shot. The blue circles in the middle represent where the scope is currently pointing. As I move the scope the circles move with it, you just line it up with your target and push the scope until the circles are over your target. The single blue circles are items I've set up in an observing list. You can create your own or use the set ones.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

thats brilliant, a lot cheaper than arvo nagis as well, and you get to use your phone, thank you so much

• 2 years later...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Richard, there is nothing like seeing a slice of the real  pie and you Sir have served it up.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Balok

Maybe try a printed az circle on the base and a wixey for the alt... Cheapo but effective

I can thoroughly recommend this, did this to my 10" dob a few months ago and not looked back. All done for less than £50 and most of that was the digi inclinometer. Instructions can be found in the July 2015 Sky at Night magazine (page 74).

Am sure you know to use screen on minimum and a screen filter app...

...it is soo easy lose hard won dark adaptation using smart devices.  Also, makes all the travelling to dark skies a waste of time...

Sky Commander is an old skool dsc and works very well.

Paul

P.S.  I would describe myself as a full on 'star hopper' but am very tempted by the dark side.

Archived