Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheshire question..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not what I wanted to know Daniel. However, I can use your picture to ask the question more clearly.

I use the screws on the secondary to get the secondary centered in the focuser tube.

What I end up is picture No. 1 - from left to right.

Then from there...how to achieve picture 2? If I use the 3 screws again, I'll go offset again...

I'm almost certain there's a subtle thing I'm missing...

I have the secondary and the primary aligned correctly, but not 100% centered in the focuser. This is my puzzle... :)

Yeah, I'm starting to regret buying it...it's sooo passive!!

In time you'll find you will learn to love it once it becomes clear how to use it, and if you do the tool will love you back  :smiley:

Ignore the laser for now and respect what the new tool tells you ( assuming it is all is all snug and well aligned in the focuser. For secondary adjustment like centring the laser  is no good anyway .... IMHO.  I say that without ever having used a laser but watch the astro shed on youtube and it will become clear.  The only thing I would use the basic single beam single collimators for ( if I had one ) would be to align the primary, and avoid walking to and fro making adjustments, very handy for that.

What you bought is good stuff  :smiley:

Hi,

Twist the secondary, loosen off the centre screw twist the stalk (not the mirror) and retighten.  Loosen it so the stalk flops about a little otherwise it may damage the adjustment screws or the stalk.

Cheers

Ross

The secondary is perfectly circle-shape.

Did you not fit a new focuser to that scope and is it square when you fitted it?  This may be part of the issue ?.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding. Check out these diagrams

http://www.propermotion.com/jwreed/ATM/Collimate/Chesire.htm

The secondary is aligned with the primary - more or less - but still not aligned under the focuser. Probably the focuser needs aligning...!!

Use the Phillips screw in the centre of the secondary holder to move it up and down the tube

I loosened that to rotate the secondary...didn't know it was for changing vertical position!!

Sorry, Dan. Just habit of calling people with their full name!

If you've fitted a new focuser you need to square it to the tube Emad. If you don't start with this you'll be going round in circles.

I'm not sure what it means square to the tube? It's fitted perfectly well...don't know!!

One thing though...under the stars everything is pin sharp, however in-focus and out-focus reveals that the lower edge of the circle is somehow chipped, which is exactly what I see in the sight tube. A very small part of the secondary is outside the visible area of the focuser tube.

I'm not sure what it means square to the tube? It's fitted perfectly well...don't know!!

One thing though...under the stars everything is pin sharp, however in-focus and out-focus reveals that the lower edge of the circle is somehow chipped, which is exactly what I see in the sight tube. A very small part of the secondary is outside the visible area of the focuser tube.

the focuser has to be squarely aligned with the optical path, you need to find the centre of the tube opposite the focuser,(circumfrance wise) then measure the depth from the front of the tube to the centre of your draw tube, ten align using a laser that you havnt got :smiley:

the focuser has to be squarely aligned with the optical path, you need to find the centre of the tube opposite the focuser,(circumfrance wise) then measure the depth from the front of the tube to the centre of your draw tube, ten align using a laser that you havnt got :smiley:

You can use the cross hairs on the site tube mike ;)

A very small part of the secondary is outside the visible area of the focuser tube.

Which part of the secondary is outside the visible area of focuser tube?  I'm presuming that it's going to be the right hand edge as you look at it through the peep hole.

Archived