Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Daft question or not.

simmo39

How do you stitch together more than one image file to increase the amount of frames available?  I want to do a little experiment with my set up on Orion. I know my Set up is not realy good enough to get a great image (SW127 and neximage 5 ) but I thought if I can stitch together as many 15 to 20 sec files i may get something. If nothing else Ill learn how to combine image files!

Thanks

I'm assuming that you mean 'stacking'-  the process whereby you combine many images together taking the best of each one to make a single image with more detail? If this is your intention, you need to download a free program called Deep Sky Stacker (DSS) which will do this for you.

Alternatively, if you meant stitching your small images together to make a larger image (a mosaic) you need to down load the free program Microsoft ICE.

Me again, Not sure if that deepskystack is what i need or im doing something wrong. I have got 4, 500 frame video shots of a subject, In deepstack can I put them togeter to make a single 2000 frame video file before I use registax.?  I know what the best answer will be, get a better mount and camera. lol

Me again, Not sure if that deepskystack is what i need or im doing something wrong. I have got 4, 500 frame video shots of a subject, In deepstack can I put them togeter to make a single 2000 frame video file before I use registax.? I know what the best answer will be, get a better mount and camera. lol

What you could do is: put all four 500 frame videos into registax (one after another). The four resulting images (without any processing, wavelets and stuff) go into DSS for stacking. Should work. But, the trouble is that in a video you are trying to stack sub-second exposures. Can't see that you'll see an awful lot in a single frame...

You could take single exposures with your cam - as long as you can - take about 50x10s or 100x - put all of them into DSS - should work.

use PIPP to add a bunch of separate video files together - load them all up on the first tab, and use join mode.  On the quality tab, set it to keep say only the 20% best frames otherwise your resulting file will be huge, then run it, it'll give you one avi of all your best frames that you can then run through Registax.

Webcams are better for planets really though (and then you can have PIPP centre and crop each frame for you too), not sure how well a DSO will turn out

https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/

use pipp and just open all 4 videos at the same time and at the bottom of pipp you just tick the box join mode then work your way through the tabs at the top ignore animation options at the top and in processing options tab untic crop if it is selected you can.its a great program for video astronomy

Brill, Thanks for all the tips and advice. I have managed to join the video in PIPP. I also got deepsky to work too but find that a bit complex for my simple brain. Hopefully will get something to show for all my mithering. once again thanks.

Ah yes, totally forgot about PIPP. Excellent program, esp since the new surface.

Still, I wonder about your exposure time being sufficient enough to actually reveal detail. I'd go for several short single exposures.

Ah yes, totally forgot about PIPP. Excellent program, esp since the new surface.

Still, I wonder about your exposure time being sufficient enough to actually reveal detail. I'd go for several short single exposures.

Well if I get chance this week i will see what happens, Im not expecting anything will come of it but it will nag me if I dont at least give it a try. I just thought Orion being brighter than most DSOs would be a good experiment.

Same as above but, there's no silly Qs I would imagine if the same Qs was asked a thousand times ,people would still give an answer to it as if it was the first time ;)

Pat

I wish people would stop saying there's no such thing as a silly question admittedly this isn't one but I have asked plenty

Archived