NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

making an eq-5 mount/tripod ready for imaging

Before you buy anything else, make sure you have a copy of this.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Others will tell you that the EQ5 isn't quite good enough for imaging and to be fair it's not as stable as the bigger (more expensive) mounts. I've been using one with a 150p for imaging and it works quite well, the problems will come when you decide to upgrade to a heavier scope. The EQ5 won't really be stable enough for anything bigger.
I'd also advise getting the goto version if you can afford it. I bought the dual drive upgrade and it's only really good for about 30 secs, the drives are pretty low quality and powered by batteries - so after two or so months of using them , I've bought the goto upgrade (powered by mains , better quality and hopefully slightly longer exposures)

Before you do anything or buy anything - read the book , it'll save you loads in the long run :)

Hi you will need a polarscope too that will get you started with unguided subs there is a mod you can do to the handset that opens up the world of guided AP im sure someone will post details,

Alan

My EQ5 was shipped to me with a polar scope fitted :)

Thanks for the info, just to clarify for unguided imaging all I will need is the eq-5, daul motor drives and the polar scope. For guided the eq-5 pro synscan GOTO system 

That is correct you may even find that unguided is all you ever need it depends how fast your scope is and the level of light polution you have.

Alan

Thanks for the info, just to clarify for unguided imaging all I will need is the eq-5, daul motor drives and the polar scope. For guided the eq-5 pro synscan GOTO system 

No , the goto version of the mount is still classed as unguided.

Guided means using another camera (and possibly a guide scope as well) to track a nearby star (near to the target that you are imaging) and using one of the various computer programmes out there to drive your mount via the goto.

No , the goto version of the mount is still classed as unguided.

Guided means using another camera (and possibly a guide scope as well) to track a nearby star (near to the target that you are imaging) and using one of the various computer programmes out there to drive your mount via the goto.

Ah right OK, thank you for that. 

Hi

I'm looking into getting a skywatcher explorer 150p-ds and a eq-5 mount which I want to use for imaging. What do I need to make the standard eq-5 suitable? I know I need motors but what else?

Thanks

Jake 

Hi,

First is first, you can get the book and read it and it will guide you through to some extent. If u r serious about imaging first thing is to learn to get the polar alignment correct. If u r going to use the polar scope the first thing to do is to get the axis of the polar scope in line with the RA axis of the mount. The chances of this being coeerct out of the box is very slim, there are all sorts of tutorials on the  net to guide u through this and it is best done at daytime, once this is done then the next stage is to parctice polar aligning. There are information the net for all this so it is up to you how far you want to push it. EQ5 can image and image very well but the PA and balance have to be spot on. I would advise against using a 150PDS on an EQ5 for imaging, 130PDS is a better choice as it is not so bulky, the weight is not so important but the bulk that acts like a sail in any breeze makes a difference. Unguided and with good PA and balance you can go up to 90~120s unguided , any longer then you need guiding but if you r new to all this then I would advise caution and a lot of reading, serious AP is a difficult and expensive hobby.

A.G

The link Alexxx posted is how I converted my EQ5.  I found it worked well enough to get me started in imaging and with the converted finder scope I could guide for 10 minutes quite happily as long as the wind was not blowing too badly.  I did swap out the Webcam for a QHY5 fairly quickly because I had trouble finding guide stars at times, although no matter your route that is something you would end up doing.  I still use the modified finder today as I find with the 200P or 130PDS it is more than adequate for my needs.

Cheers

Ross

The GOTO handset provides with the opportunity to connect your handset to a computer and this connect a second scope with a second camera for guiding via PHD. Someone has done a mod of an EQ5 for an ST4 guideport, but I wouldn't have a clue. This only adds the benefit of using a standalone guidecam setup w/o a computer.

The issue you are going to have is that as soon as you open the dual axis motor handset and start soldering wires to it so it can be used as a makeshift goto scope you will loose the warranty on the handset,  which is fine if your are happy with this.

However imaging with a scope is basically a bottomless pit, and will swallow your money if you want to do this seriously.  To get nice detail of faint nebula you need to guide, and that means using a second scope and a camera (you could try manual guiding, but that could be quite tiresome given that some imaging sessions could last for hours and hours on end).  The absolute minimal way to guide is to use what is called a finderguider.  This is where a web cam or better still a QHY5 camera is connected to the finderscope.  But here lies one issue.  The finder on the 150DS is a 6x30 and is not suitable for such a modification, so that would mean buying the larger 9x50 finder, webcam adapter and Phillips spc900 webcam (which are getting harder and harder to obtain now).  The alternative small guidscope is likely to set you back £170 (http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-deluxe-mini-50mm-guide-scope-with-helical-focuser-13022.htm), but anything bigger and you are really going to push the weight limit of the EQ5, especially when you add the weight of something like an dSLR camera.

But lets get down to the nitty gritty of imaging.  The idea is to use a camera through the main scope to capture pictures of astronomical objects.  A lot of these objects are so faint that you have to expose for hours at a time.  In reality you take lots of medium length exposure (3min - 10 min) whilst the scope is trained on the target.  The normal entry into imaging of dso's is with the digital SLR camera, so to get long exposures with these you will need some form of shutter release, either manual, or better still via an interface connected to a PC and set via software.  This should not be a problem as we've already hinted that a PC is required if we are going to use a guidescope and camera.  Which then brings us back to the mount as this will need to receive the guiding signals and thus track the target.

Buy the EQ5 pro goto rather than wast your cash on the dual axis controller.  This will have better motors (steppers rather than DC) and has all the electronics to enable easy connection to the PC for guiding and control.  -

So your requirements for setting up an imaging rig:

150PDS on a goto EQ5 - £724 ( http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-150pds-eq5-pro-goto-telescope.html )

9 x 50 finder - approx £80

Webcam adapter - approx £30

Phillips SPC900 - approx £40

QHY5 camera - (preferable over the webcam) - £180

T-ring - approx £25

EQdirect cable - £45

Software:

EQMOD - free

Backyard E0S or APT - £15

PHD - Free

CdC - Free

So for an entry set up you could be looking at around £1100 (excluding dslr)

Without guiding you will be limited to around 30s - 60s max per exposure.

Here's my set up:

heq5.jpg

Ignoring the observatory, the scope and equipment is upwards of £1600 (excl computer equipment) - and I class myself as a real beginner when it comes to imaging, but I'm starting to get decent results

Hope this help

Archived