NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1'st light - SW 130-PDS :D

tingting44

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhh sounds SWEET! really cant wait to check Venus off my 2014 checklist :)

your right you dont seem to see many Venus shots compared to the Jupiter/saturn and mars images, do you know what wavelength you need to image in to get better detail for Venus then?

according to Damian Peach in Lessons from the Masters (and who am I to argue) - Violet or UV filters for bringing out dark and bright swirls (cameras have poor sensitivity in these wavelengths apprntly), deep IR (above 750mm) or even 1 micron IR filters to reveal night side thermal glow when it's in crescent :shocked: 

and you all thought my profile pic was just an over-exposed moon shot, didn't u

according to Damian Peach in Lessons from the Masters (and who am I to argue) - Violet or UV filters for bringing out dark and bright swirls (cameras have poor sensitivity in these wavelengths apprntly), deep IR (above 750mm) or even 1 micron IR filters to reveal night side thermal glow when it's in crescent :shocked:

and you all thought my profile pic was just an over-exposed moon shot, didn't u

awsome thanks for that info mate, lol @ your over-exposed comment :) seriously great capture tho, when did you capture it?

took it on the 6th Dec, so before xmas, was an early evening object then, about 2 hours after sunset.  

sent you a pm re sun pics btw

Nice one :)

thanks for the pm buddy

false color

12753970915_b5cc245a26_c.jpg
i just need to learn how to invert the false color now?
edit, off to bed now, got work at 2am :( catch u all tomorrow, have a nice evening
Martin

Hiya Martin,

Not read the whole thread but I just got a 150pds two or so weeks ago. I'm a complete newbie for astronomy and I thought they included the wrong eyepiece (specs said a 25mm 1 1/4 one), they included the 28mm 2" one you got. I sent it back and got it replaced with a 25mm one though the one I sent back was much more substantial. I think my reasoning was that I wanted to build up a set of 1 1/4" eyepieces and it would be too much of a pain swapping over all the time!

Had the scope out twice and got my first pics. I attach three, moon, orion and jupiter. No doubt they will improve in time but I'm pleased with it so far!

It's great fun. Tim.  

post-35654-0-14558500-1393346059_thumb.j

post-35654-0-28376200-1393346066_thumb.j

post-35654-0-66715200-1393346068_thumb.j

not bad at all tim for just starting out! im sure you will go far! :)  right im off to bed! 1am start in the morning :( it sucks! 

had a tiny play, not as long as i wanted but hey ho :(

inverted white light

12772568275_ec82482a55_c.jpg
inverted, then false color
12772962445_c75f7a1325_c.jpg
night all, catch you tomorrow :)
Martin

Good to see youve got it up and running. Once you get a B-mask (if you dont already have one), focusing will be a lot better.

As mentioned previously, guiding is your next step - no need to complicate things with EQMOD, just get a guide camera with an onboard ST4 port (QHY5) and use PHD. Next step up after that will be field correction... thats where the fun begins! Might be better to hold off getting any corrector until ive completed further testing the two correctors I use, but the primary concern is making any corrector sit squarely in the focuser. If you have the tools/skills, I would suggest that you drill and tap a third thumbscrew hole - so if your camera is heavy it wont flap about so much.

Have tested both correctors again tonight, and the MkIII Baader won - with the help of a homegrown threaded M54-T2 focuser adapter. The MkIII is now happily mounted internally and provides a much more secure connection for the FW and camera than the TS version does.

After a bit of tinkering with the focus point, I managed to grab this single 3min sub (no calibration) before it started raining. Loads of noise, but the field is looking good:

post-5513-0-39459500-1393370659_thumb.jp

not bad at all tim for just starting out! im sure you will go far! :)  right im off to bed! 1am start in the morning :( it sucks! 

had a tiny play, not as long as i wanted but hey ho :(

inverted white light

12772568275_ec82482a55_c.jpg

Sun Stack - 22-2-14 {inverted white light} by tingting44, on Flickr

inverted, then false color

12772962445_c75f7a1325_c.jpg

Sun Stack - 22-2-14 {inverted false color} by tingting44, on Flickr

night all, catch you tomorrow :)

Martin

That inverted black sun is seriously cool. I really love that pic and now want a solar filter!

Can't get over how awesome it looks!

Did you stack video as you would the moon?

Good to see youve got it up and running. Once you get a B-mask (if you dont already have one), focusing will be a lot better.

As mentioned previously, guiding is your next step - no need to complicate things with EQMOD, just get a guide camera with an onboard ST4 port (QHY5) and use PHD. Next step up after that will be field correction... thats where the fun begins! Might be better to hold off getting any corrector until ive completed further testing the two correctors I use, but the primary concern is making any corrector sit squarely in the focuser. If you have the tools/skills, I would suggest that you drill and tap a third thumbscrew hole - so if your camera is heavy it wont flap about so much.

Thanks mate, yeah i got a B mask, how would you use it during the day tho? you need a pin point of light for it to work dont you? ahh not so simply for me simply getting a camera with an ST4 port, my EQ5 does not come with any guiding ports, if i wanted an ST4 port id need to mod my dual motor handset and solder an ST4 port into it, but looking forward to it, my new focuser on the 130pds seems rock solid so far :)

Have tested both correctors again tonight, and the MkIII Baader won - with the help of a homegrown threaded M54-T2 focuser adapter. The MkIII is now happily mounted internally and provides a much more secure connection for the FW and camera than the TS version does.

After a bit of tinkering with the focus point, I managed to grab this single 3min sub (no calibration) before it started raining. Loads of noise, but the field is looking good:

attachicon.gifcapture.jpg

Thats awsome mate!!! such detail from 3 mins!! awsome

That inverted black sun is seriously cool. I really love that pic and now want a solar filter!

Can't get over how awesome it looks!

Did you stack video as you would the moon?

hey astrorabbit, ahh thanks for your kind words buddy, i too was well impressed after processing :)

no, did not capture this via video, i took x100 shots at 1/5000th with my Canon 7D DSLR @ ISO100 via my SW-130PDS, after running them through PIPP and Reg6 i was left with about 40 subs that were good for the final stack :) 

is that what black holes look like ?  ;-)   could see that as a heavy metal album cover.

Confused how you've still got limb darkening on the inverted colourised version though, because the black sun now has limb lightening. 

Great effect though

haha :D

this was my work flow how to get the sun black, i wrote it down as i WILL forget lol

image/adjustments/invert - do it before colourising, then image/adjustments/selective color/choose black and put it to 0, then image/new adjustment layer/colorize/hue @ 32 and own taste to saturation

thanks for looking :)

Martin

A pinpoint of light for daytime use? Im pretty sure some people use ball bearings for that (placed far enough away), though I doubt that will still be far enough for correct focus. Having said that, ive never had my scopes out in the daytime!

Archived