NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1'st light - SW 130-PDS :D

tingting44

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Martin - nice photos there!

Would you be kind enough to list the equipment you are using ?  (mount, camera etc - the scope you have already listed) :)   - is it a goto setup at all ?

I am researching like mad about astrophotography, and whereby I understand that top end mounts, ED Refractors, guide scopes etc etc are the best, I am intereseted in seeing how much one can achieve with much less expensive equipment. I think producing a really decent image from such equipment is not only a great challenge, but would also give massive satisfaction.

Many thanks!

Clear skies my friend!  :)

Hi Martin - nice photos there!

Would you be kind enough to list the equipment you are using ?  (mount, camera etc - the scope you have already listed) :)   - is it a goto setup at all ?

I am researching like mad about astrophotography, and whereby I understand that top end mounts, ED Refractors, guide scopes etc etc are the best, I am intereseted in seeing how much one can achieve with much less expensive equipment. I think producing a really decent image from such equipment is not only a great challenge, but would also give massive satisfaction.

Many thanks!

Clear skies my friend!  :)

Hi there Vortex :) Thanks for your kind comments

the gear i have is the EQ5 mount with dual motors (but ive never connected the DEC motor) the telescope is the SW 130-PDS,  the camera i am using is the Canon 7D DSLR for widefield/solar/lunar, for planetary shots i use the SPC900 planetary webcam, im not goto i just got rid of my AZ GOTO mount and could not be happier with the EQ5.

hope this helps buddy and any more question please do not hesitate to ask :)

all the best

Martin

edit, next step for me will be guiding, but that wont be any time soon as i want to know my current setup in and out before even thinking of diving into guiding,

what kind of gear are you looking at getting and are you more interested in deep space of planetary imaging? if you have not all ready get the book "making every photon count" its one hell of a book!

Hi Martin,

Awesome - thank you very much.

I am currently deciding on upgrading my mount and am still undecided on Goto system as the aim of the game really is good tracking - I can use my Iphone app to locate roughly where I need to point my scope and then fine tune exactly whre my scope needs to be after that - so goto really not an essential. 

I have been look at the EQ5 - I think it is a good price for what you get and a good 300 quid cheaper than the HEQ5 - can't run to that yet - would rather spend on other things.

I think the EQ5 would last me a few years and serve me well as I could pop better OTA's on there in the future.

Many thanks!

V -  :)

Hi Martin,

I am currently deciding on upgrading my mount and am still undecided on Goto system as the aim of the game really is good tracking - I can use my Iphone app to locate roughly where I need to point my scope and then fine tune exactly whre my scope needs to be after that - so goto really not an essential. 

I have been look at the EQ5 - I think it is a good price for what you get and a good 300 quid cheaper than the HEQ5 - can't run to that yet - would rather spend on other things.

I think the EQ5 would last me a few years and serve me well as I could pop better OTA's on there in the future.

Many thanks!

V -  :)

No trouble :)

yes i was deciding what mount to upgrade to from my AZ mount for a while, i started off looking at the EQ2, then the EQ3-2 and i settled on the EQ5 with dual motor mounts as i got a good price for it from oily on here :D im in the same thinking as you, it will last me 2 or 3 years with learning etc before i will probably get my last ever mount in the NEQ6 or HEQ5.... its a cracking mount tho and im loving learning the ins and outs of it :D

Hi Martin,

Many thanks!

V - :)

Just make sure that you can control your mount with EQMOD!!

Thanks Steve i cant wait to get more practice in with it :D and especially deep space when i get the coma corrector, and guiding at a later date :D

Yes the images are very good well done. I will be interested to see how you get on with DSO as I was considering the same scope for imaging with CC to use on a HEQ5 pro. I have a 200 GSO as well so the coma corrector will work there as well. Investigating whether to use a finder and guider to a lappy or possibly synguider with finder and no laptop. I like the idea of not carting tons of gear to a dark site! Watching this with interest.

Yes the images are very good well done. I will be interested to see how you get on with DSO as I was considering the same scope for imaging with CC to use on a HEQ5 pro. I have a 200 GSO as well so the coma corrector will work there as well. Investigating whether to use a finder and guider to a lappy or possibly synguider with finder and no laptop. I like the idea of not carting tons of gear to a dark site! Watching this with interest.

thanks mate, you have me thinking about the synguider route now lol i REALLY do like the idea of not having to have a laptop (would need to buy one) to guide :) would u simply connect the synguider to a finder scope and waa laa your be guiding? i would need to mod my EQ5 motor mount handset to have a st-4 port and that would be it wouldnt it?

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/133187-guiding-conversion-project-for-200p-and-eq5/

Not entirely sure as info seems a bit scarce. Modern Astronomy do an adapter to connect to a finderscope and I am pretty sure I read somewhere that someone connected a Synguider to a 9x50. There is this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/78286-synguider-through-finderguider-problems/ has some info but seems inconclusive to me. The Synguider connects to the ST4 port on the mount and powers from external battery pack or a leisure battery. The thing I was thinking of was Synguider to one of my 9x50 finders on the 130 PDS. Not sure if anyone here has actually tried this set up but it might save some cash and be an easier start into AP. My issue is I do not know enough about AP so might very well be on the wrong track here   :eek:

If you guide without a laptop, your imaging is limited by your camera's battery power.

From someone who's bitten his fist: don't do it... Replacing the camera battery in the dark changes focus and rotation... U'll hate yourself for it!!!

Not entirely sure as info seems a bit scarce. Modern Astronomy do an adapter to connect to a finderscope and I am pretty sure I read somewhere that someone connected a Synguider to a 9x50. There is this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/78286-synguider-through-finderguider-problems/ has some info but seems inconclusive to me. The Synguider connects to the ST4 port on the mount and powers from external battery pack or a leisure battery. The thing I was thinking of was Synguider to one of my 9x50 finders on the 130 PDS. Not sure if anyone here has actually tried this set up but it might save some cash and be an easier start into AP. My issue is I do not know enough about AP so might very well be on the wrong track here   :eek:

been informed its not a good idea to guide with a finder, best to use the synguider with the st80 telescope, which are both for sale in the classies here....mhhhh....lol

If you guide without a laptop, your imaging is limited by your camera's battery power.

From someone who's bitten his fist: don't do it... Replacing the camera battery in the dark changes focus and rotation... U'll hate yourself for it!!!

lol..... :huh:

loving those images mate! especially mars, looks amazing to see the redness! cant wait to a dark sky spot with u and check out your new toys :)

thanks dan!!! cant wait to get out with ya either!! been too long hasnt it,. last time was the meteor shower last year wasnt it?

thanks dan!!! cant wait to get out with ya either!! been too long hasnt it,. last time was the meteor shower last year wasnt it?

I think it was mate! ah no we did go to that other spot a while ago but it was proper foggy do you remember that?

Thanks Russe will take a look

I think it was mate! ah no we did go to that other spot a while ago but it was proper foggy do you remember that?

ah yeah i remember now lol was not very good for stargazing but that fog was epic! lol down near totton that was wasnt it

ah nice! loving your Venus :D thats epic, ive not even viewed Venus yet :( only with the naked eye, its such a tease at the moment for the last week Venus has been teasing me, ive had such a lovely view of it from work at about 6am-7am with the naked eye, just wish i was at home to capture it :( even got up at 6am sunday morning but it was cloudy :(

edit, glowingturnip you have some real! nice pics on your flickr, lovely :)

Archived