Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Herschel Wedge advice

Pig

Congrats, Shaun :)

The Baader is very nice too but to me it is bigger than it looks in the photos. I use my 1.25 Lunt on my ED80 and usually the Baader on a chunky F9 100mm. The Lunt 1.25 is tiny in comparison to the Baader and has a much shorter light path :)

These 1.25 wedges are fantastic for the money :smiley:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been white light solar observing for many years. Last year I bought the 1.25mm Lunt H.W. and together with the Continuum filter provides the best visual image I have ever seen. I also use binoviewers with my 4" Astro Tech and the 3D effect is mind blowing.

Enjoy the Herschel Wedge you won't regret the purchase and for £167 that is brilliant.

Well once again guys I would like to thank you for all your help and advice.  As ever, it is very much appreciated :smiley:

I will send the hat around at a later date to help pay for it all :shocked: ( Stu :grin: )

Thanks Steve, a tad late though :smiley:

I just ordered the Lunt 1.25, they did me the bundled version for £167, you get the filter ND03 and the polarising filter included so not a bad deal in the end.

Sounds like a great bundle ...... no doubt you will have many hours of excellent views through it.  I was lucky and found a Baader Cool Ceramic 2" in mint condition for 1/2 new price.

I especially like that the ceramic tile doubles as a finderscope: 

DSC_3836_zpscbaf7d38.jpg

I can see on the DHL tracking web page it is out for delivery.. woohooo

I am pacing up and down the living room waiting for the door to knock :smiley:

Sun's out here Shaun, any chance of a first light today?

Stu

I panicked a bit when I first looked through as I couldn't achieve focus and I immediately thought not enough back focus, as per the articles I have read.

Damn I thought, more money is needed for an extension. Typical !!!!!

But the panic turned to elation as I realised I had started too far back with the focuser, my heart started beating faster as I turned the focuser inward and in true Pronto style form nowhere ...bammmmm ... sharp smoky bacon crisp flavoured focus was achieved, suddenly I had forgotten all about my agonising sore throat and chesty cough :smiley: Brilliant

I worked my way down from the 17.3 Delos all the way to the 6 -3mm Nagler,  what a cracking view, l have never seen so many Sunspots. Their surrounding detail is nothing short of stunning. I am so impressed.

What is that monster of a spot doing in the top right ?  its huge and its going to kill us all   :shocked:  a daisy ring of about another 30 directly opposite in the bottom left and a few more dotted in the middle.

~~~~~ 0

I have just had a Condor moment =======

My only disappointment is that I never bought one before today :laugh:  I must get a dedicated solar scope.

Nice one Shaun, I knew you wouldn't be disappointed :-). The detail really is amazing isn't it? I should give higher mags a go really, I tend to stick to my 12.5mm ortho.

Shame I can't get out there myself, I believe an X class flare has just gone off in the limb giving a lovely prom.

Stu

Very impressed Stu,  I am pleased you mentioned the website.

The sun is trying to break out again here, I can see some blue sky in the distance.

My focal length is only 480mm thus the 6 - 3mm zoom ranges from 80 - 160  X mag

Sounds like a great bundle ...... no doubt you will have many hours of excellent views through it.  I was lucky and found a Baader Cool Ceramic 2" in mint condition for 1/2 new price.

I especially like that the ceramic tile doubles as a finderscope: 

Yes Matt great find, I read about the tile nice little idea :smiley:

Post some pics of your scope all set up Shaun !!!

Two of my favourite and rewarding targets these days are old Sol and Luna, I can spend hours studying either of them.  

I'm on the lookout for a Solarmax 40 etalon and bf for my spare FS60CB.  The recently visible active regions have been a joy to behold.

Just got a CSV tube for my Tak to allow use of the Baader with binoviewers as well .........

I use the intes 1.25" wedge so no fixed be filter... I image and need to run with less attenuation when I add barlows. As mentioned the views with a wedge smoke pretty much everything else... Some people claim that wedges are not safe, so they remain a bit of a niche unit... Our gain and others loss...

Enjoy, welcome to wedge-land!

Peter

Post some pics of your scope all set up Shaun !!!

Two of my favourite and rewarding targets these days are old Sol and Luna, I can spend hours studying either of them.  

I'm on the lookout for a Solarmax 40 etalon and bf for my spare FS60CB.  The recently visible active regions have been a joy to behold.

Just got a CSV tube for my Tak to allow use of the Baader with binoviewers as well .........

Hiya Matt,

I love both the Sun & the Moon and never seem to tire observing them

I will post some pics of the set up tomorrow. I am a tad tired at the moment due to a very harrowing day :smiley:

I use the intes 1.25" wedge so no fixed be filter... I image and need to run with less attenuation when I add barlows. As mentioned the views with a wedge smoke pretty much everything else... Some people claim that wedges are not safe, so they remain a bit of a niche unit... Our gain and others loss...

Enjoy, welcome to wedge-land!

Peter

Thank you for the welcome Peter :laugh: I am very impressed with the performance of the wedge.

I think if they were dangerous any concerns would have been very clearly voiced by now. Extra care always has to be taken where eyesight is concerned.

... Some people claim that wedges are not safe, so they remain a bit of a niche unit... Our gain and others loss...

I think the wedge is far safer than a objective cap solar film filter ....... if the front mounted filter is damaged or dislodged during viewing it's bye bye eyesight !!!  If a wedge is dislodged during use you just get unfocused light through the scope pointed at your waist.....  I know which I would rather....

A couple of images as requested :laugh:

post-27910-0-98703300-1393647132.jpg

The image above shows the polarising filter is screwed into the bottom of the eyepiece as normal

You then rotate the eyepiece in the barrel holder of the wedge to achieve the best possible image and tighten the thumb set screw to hold the eyepiece in place :smiley:  simples

The wedge comes delivered in a fairly robust aluminium case

post-27910-0-31437400-1393647264_thumb.j

Smart looking bit of kit, Shaun. Does it already have the ND 3.0 filter in place?

Other than the Herschel Wedge, the variable polariser, and ND 3.0, I feel white light viewing through the wedge demands the additional use of filters. A red filter can help pick up contrast on sunspot regions. A light blue filter can help with contrast on faculae areas. A light blue and light yellow filter together make for a nice combination through which the Sun’s whiite light features are all clearly observable in a greenish tone. A light green filter in itself produces very much the same effect. But I've found the best filter to use with the Wedge is a Continuum.

By analogy, to my eyes going from Baader's Solar film to a Wedge on the 4" f/10 achromat is a bit like going from a standard supplied plossl to buying into one of Tele Vue's expensive wonders and the step up from a green filter to the Continuum is like going from a decent mid-range eyepiece to something like a Delos. There is a subtle but clear improvement in terms of contrast, sharpness, tonal shade, clarity and detail.

I feel it's worth playing around with the combinations of cheap colour filters and eyepieces and it isn't necessary to buy straight away the Continuum. I waited until I felt I would be competent enough to be able to discern any difference if there was going to be any and in the meantime simply waited until one cropped up secondhand.

Looking forward to your light reports and sketches :grin:

Qualia,

The Nd3 filter is built in and might even be fixed in position.

The Solar light has to pass through the Continuum before the ND3 but I am not sure how to set this up, whereas the polarising filter goes after the ND3 ( screw into the eyepiece)

I don't think you use both the Polarising filter and the Continuum at the same time I will also have to find this out.

I am not sure if it is prudent to place any filters in front of the ND3 as the heat from the Sun may be too much ( this may also be the case for the Continuum so I need advice prior to use)

If you want to see any sketches from me please make sure you book a couple of sessions with a therapist in advance :grin:  :grin: I truly am the worlds worst drawer.

Qualia,

The Nd3 filter is built in and might even be fixed in position.

The Solar light has to pass through the Continuum before the ND3 but I am not sure how to set this up, whereas the polarising filter goes after the ND3 ( screw into the eyepiece)

I don't think you use both the Polarising filter and the Continuum at the same time I will also have to find this out.

I am not sure if it is prudent to place any filters in front of the ND3 as the heat from the Sun may be too much ( this may also be the case for the Continuum so I need advice prior to use)

If you want to see any sketches from me please make sure you book a couple of sessions with a therapist in advance :grin::grin: I truly am the worlds worst drawer.

Shaun, the continuum filter needs to go after the ND3.0 and can be used instead of the polarizing filter.

You can use both at once or in any combination with coloured filters. My understanding is that as long as you have either the continuum or polarizing filter on the eyepiece barrel, then that is what you need to be safe. You can then additionally add coloured filters by screwing them into the thread on the continuum or polarizing filter, effectively stacking them.

I think the ND3.0 can be removed but there is no reason to. I was happy that mine was pre installed so I didn't need to worry about it.

Cheers,

Stu

I know it's no help Shaun, but having now observed with a Lunt 60, I have to say it beats any white light observing I've done hands down - very hard to avoid the temptation I must say :evil:.

I am sure I will be buying a solar scope in the very near future Jonathan :smiley:  I am still undecided as to which is best out of the Coronado & Lunt

I understand white light and Ha have their own attributes and it is useful to combine the 2 if you can afford it.  :laugh:

I have always preferred Solar & Lunar viewing, mainly due to their proximity to us.

Shaun, the continuum filter needs to go after the ND3.0 and can be used instead of the polarizing filter.

You can use both at once or in any combination with coloured filters. My understanding is that as long as you have either the continuum or polarizing filter on the eyepiece barrel, then that is what you need to be safe. You can then additionally add coloured filters by screwing them into the thread on the continuum or polarizing filter, effectively stacking them.

I think the ND3.0 can be removed but there is no reason to. I was happy that mine was pre installed so I didn't need to worry about it.

Cheers,

Stu

Thank you Stu ...again :laugh:  If I was a woman I would wed you :grin:

Shaun I am glad that Stu advised you to place the continuum filter onto the eyepiece screw thread and NOT before the ND3 filter. Shaun your Lunt HW looks the same as mine and I believe that the ND3 is not removable.

If you have chance try and view the Sun through binoviewers - it will blow you away with the 3D effect.

I agree with Jonathan about Ha scopes but I place my PST and 4" frac (with Herschel Wedge) side by side on a SkyTee mount so have the best of both worlds.

Enjoy the HW Shaun.

Archived