Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Herschel Wedge advice

Pig

Hiya all,

I am considering buying a Baader 2" Herschel wedge for my Pronto instead of buying a dedicated solar scope.

From what I have read around the internet this sounds quite a viable option. However,  I would like to hear from anyone that has used one first hand.

Thank you

Shaun

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you need the 2" Shaun, that is only needed for larger scopes. I use a 1.25" Lunt wedge in my TV76 which is much cheaper and gives wonderful results. Amazing detail visible. You can buy a bundle which includes the required filters for quite a reasonable price. They come with the ND3.0 pre installed then you also need a top polarising filter or continuum.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Lunt-1.25--White-Light-Solar-Herschel-Wedge.html

Cheers,

Stu

I don't think you need the 2" Shaun, that is only needed for larger scopes. I use a 1.25" Lunt wedge in my TV76 which is much cheaper and gives wonderful results. Amazing detail visible. You can buy a bundle which includes the required filters for quite a reasonable price. They come with the ND3.0 pre installed then you also need a top polarising filter or continuum.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Lunt-1.25--White-Light-Solar-Herschel-Wedge.html

Cheers,

Stu

That does look very appealing Stu thank you.

What would you consider a "top polarising filter" ?

I bought mine as a full kit, but I think it is just a normal polarising filter which you fit to the eyepiece. This allows you to tube the brightness by turning the ep.

This link has one listed at the bottom.

http://www.lunt-solarsystems.eu/index.php?id=22&L=1&tx_commerce_pi1%5Brelated%5D=759&tx_commerce_pi1%5BshowUid%5D=817&tx_commerce_pi1%5BcatUid%5D=18&cHash=7cd317b57017ef032aa60c939ba5eba6

You can also use a Baader continuum filter but that turns the image bright green :-)

Stu

Yes, 2" would be very good I'm sure. I only suggested the 1.25" as it is normally much cheaper and my understanding is that it is basically all you need for a smaller scope. A good 2" certainly won't be worse than the 1.25!

Stu

Good point Peter. Shaun, I assume you know you don't see filaments/prominences etc with the wedge, just white light. For me though, the PST and Herschel Wedge are perfect partners. Whilst you can see the sunspots with the PST, there is so much more detail visible in the active regions with the wedge. That's why I use them side by side quite frequently.

sy4aqemy.jpg

Stu

Did you go for the 2" Shaun?

Stu

I didn't in the end Stu, I am going to get a new 1.25" I understand the Baader has back focus problems with a Pronto.  

Have you heard of this make ? I am a bit confused about the "additional required filters"  at the bottom of the page (I thought the ND3 was built in)

http://www.astroshop.eu/solar-prisms/apm-1-25-solar-prism-herschel-wedge/p,18916

It looks like the same one ie Lunt, that I have. It is cheaper because it doesn't have the ND3.0 pre- installed, you need to buy it separately. Why don't you get the one I linked to from Telescopehouse which has the ND3.0 installed? Price seems good, you would just need a polarising filter to put onto the eyepiece.

Will have a check where I bought from and send a link if it is better.

Stu

Hi Shaun. I did get mine from APM. At the time they were doing a bundle for 199 euros which included the ND3.0 pre-installed and a top polarizing filter so it was a good deal. I can't see the same deal available now, the TH one seems reasonable, but the ones at 149 euros definitely don't have the ND3.0 fitted which you will need.

Hope that helps?

Stu

Thanks Steve, a tad late though :smiley:

I just ordered the Lunt 1.25, they did me the bundled version for £167, you get the filter ND03 and the polarising filter included so not a bad deal in the end.

I am not sure Stu,

I only have a set of Deloi and a couple of Naglers.so its a case of trial & error, the scope is f6.8

If the barrel lengths are too long I will try a couple of TV Plossl :smiley:

I didn't get on with the !0mm BGO I had so I try to stay clear of limited eye relief Orthos.

Sounds like a plan. The simpler eyepiece designs tend to work well on the sun. 11 or 15mm TV Plossl or 12.5mm Hutech would be good. I've used a 10mm Delos with it too and that still worked very well.

Stu

Archived