Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 Flocking questions...

emadmoussa

When I flocked my lightbridge I stripped everything down which made the process much easier.

On the main tubes I used the joint which runs down the middle as a starter and then peeled and stuck from there. This gave a neat job as the joun is actually a folded join meaning the flock could be tucked under it a little to start and then I finished with a 1 or 2 inch overlap.

on the lightbridge the end rings werent very tight fitting anyway so I took the flocking to the very end and the rings fitted back fine .... although the skywatcher may be different.

for holes and to tirim any edges I used a craft knife and the only bit I didnt do was the last 3 inches of the main tube as the cell seemed a tight fit so ileft that bit clear.

I managed to do the tube with a single sheet as I got some a 2m length of 90cm wide flocking from vinyl depot whci is an online store and only cost me about £20.

All in all it was pretty easy but with smaller tubes it may be more difficult due to it being more confined as my tube is 18inches across.

cheers,

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit I was helped by my wife on both the 10" newts I flocked.  We sat either side of the dining table with the tube between us on a couple of soft cushions (to stop the scope rocking) so we could see each other through the aperture.  I had pre-cut the strips to both the correct length and width.  Width is quite important for different diameter of scope as you want the strip to be manageable on the curve.  I too started at the seam but laid the first strip over the middle of it.

I tested taking out the spider and everything else as I noticed it wasn't aligned perfectly. And frankly it was easy enough and my collimation is even better now.

Sounds like it was definitely worth it then Imad. :smiley:

Ok, all done now. Except  will have to find another washer for one of the focuser screws. I think my daughter, who gave me nightmares while flocking, took it somewhere...arrgh!! From all night, she decided it was OK staying up till midnight!!

Anyway, it was easy enough. However, I don't think I'll be doing the primary any time soon. Most of the reflections I get are from around the secondary and focuser and that's done now :) A bit of cleaning and collimation tomorrow and I'm good to go.Booyah!!

With the two other scopes I had I flocked the interior of the tubes but not the metal rims. Secondarys received a coat or two of blackboard paint. Primary mirrors washed gently and put into a box to protect from dust.

Gave the velour a blinking good vacuum before reassembly & collimation

It's a great excuse to give the telescope a good service and add any mods - such as drilling holes for additional finders....

Nice one , but dont be surprised if you realise the washer got stuck to the sticky backed side of the material !

Out of interest how long did it take ?

It I were on my own not chasing my little one  I would say under 2 hours.

No, the washer was in a cup that my daughter took somewhere and i managed to find the missing  parts except the washer. Not a big deal though.

OK, job done!!

Surprisingly, collimation took less than 5 minutes to get done. In fact, by centering the secondary correctly to  collimation was 90% accurate.

I can instantaneously see difference is preventing stray light in comparison with the primary section.Notice that in the photos.

Star test tonight!!

post-27451-0-64547600-1392478687_thumb.j

post-27451-0-82678200-1392478692_thumb.j

post-27451-0-63092000-1392478697_thumb.j

post-27451-0-66636600-1392478707_thumb.j

I examined the primary section last night..and frankly, it's not the fear of breaking things the put me off, but rather the hassle of reaching all the bits on the inside of the tube. So, the bottom line, can't be bothered at least for the time being. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived