Horizon on Mars tonight

Davey-T

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i'd like to see a permanent lunar base set-up, which can be used as a test-bed for any Mars mission technology, before we take the steps to the red planet. Could be used to test remote/robot base building, landers, rovers etc... More achievable and might spark international cooperation like the ISS which could continue for any future human Mars exploration. But then again I doubt NASA will listen to me.

Absolutely, I think this is far more important than a one-off trip to Mars just to say that we've done it. A base on the moon would be a perfect test-bed for how to survive in space for extended periods, coping in a low gravity environment, growing your own food, creating your own water, generating your own power, producing your own oxygen maybe. And if anything goes wrong, help is nearby. I'd say this is more ambitious and of more use in terms of advancing space exploration than throwing everything into going to Mars once.

A moon base would be a perfectly sensible start really, certainly in preference to trying to do it on Mars without ever having tried it before.

But then, when pollyticks are involved their is no such thing as common sense, it flies out the window and deep into outer space!

Just watched it on I-player. Excellent programme. Seems like there are possible answers to most problems (except maybe getting back!). International cooperation may be the way to go, so the biggest problem could be political rather than technical.

Personally I am sure that it will be achieved, but very doubtful in my lifetime!

Archived