Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any new EQ8 Reports?

nmoushon

Personally, I wouldn't consider the EQ8 or the NEQ6 as portable mounts.  Just about "luggable" over short distances is as far as I would go.  But then again I'm not a fit young man or athletic woman. 

I think it has been 25 years since I was call a fit young man, and even then I think I misheard the fit part  :p

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I wouldn't consider the EQ8 or the NEQ6 as portable mounts.  Just about "luggable" over short distances is as far as I would go.  But then again I'm not a fit young man or athletic woman. 

Well I am not a fit young man either! :p

As time goes on it all gets more and more difficult.... Ow me back!  Ow me whatever!!!.

I don't see how the detection of com port by the PC could be affected by the mount which only connects to the serial side.

It's not really a problem, specially if using FTDI as it won't change. You can see the port in Device mangler.

Interesting that my 5 & 6 will return a port scan but the 8 doesn't. Even using the same EQDir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I wouldn't consider the EQ8 or the NEQ6 as portable mounts. Just about "luggable" over short distances is as far as I would go. But then again I'm not a fit young man or athletic woman.

Fitness is in the eye of the beholder Gina. Don't put yerself down [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek I sourced my FTDI products from Farnell. I wonder if there's an incompatibility with your system's chipset, have you tried other 'puters? I actually went out of my way to avoid Win 8 but had weird problems trying to get everything running with Win 7 so I moved onto Win 8 end of last year! To be honest I would much prefer Unix.. or MacOS.. ok.. maybe Linux ;) But I'm too long in the tooth to reinvent the wheel!

Of course, we are lucky that EQMod works with the EQ8 as it was developed long before it was produced. I expect Synta has thrown a few extra's into the mix that we will have no hope of gaining function of as the dll is closed source. Chris seems to be the last man standing and I am in awe at his continuing dedication & support for this.  Chris and EQMod are the best salesforce Synta have got! I really hope they realise that, because I would not own all 3 of their mounts for imaging if it were not for EQMod!

There's no way I would lug an EQ8 around as a portable setup! I got the HEQ5 because the EQ6 was starting to do my back in!

That's probably where the CEM60 wins if the payload is enough.

Hi again,

Yes it was either Farnell or CPC,( pretty sure Farnell), for the first leads. Then RS as I got more and more frustrated. In the end I was buying determined to solve it. NO Luck at all, just wasted money. Neither 3.3 or 5 volt leads worked.

I tried on three computers all running Win 7. All two Ultimate x64 and one ordinary 32 bit version.

As I said called up FTDI and spoke to a couple of their Tecs. Downloaded software to test as advised then got palmed off, when it did not sort out the problem.

I would still use their stuff if it worked as it has COM retention, very handy. If Prolific does that then it will be a no brainer.

Derek

I don't see how the detection of com port by the PC could be affected by the mount which only connects to the serial side.

Hi Gina,

The computer can see the COM Port. EQMOD cannot detect it, when attached to the EQ8. No idea why!!

Derek

I've often wondered why my eq8 and eqmod will not find the com port....I'm not alone obviously.

It doesn't matter too much, it never fails to connect, I have my hub permanently attached to the head with my eqdirect cable permanently connected and plugged in...... With the eq8 homing tool, I never need to unplug it from the head now.....win win.

Ray

• 1 year later...

As an update for anyone who is contemplating this mount and is reading this post I have been running this mount for the past two years successfully with an ED80 and a 1300mm FL Newt and easily achieve 30 min subs guiding with a Lodestar X2 and OAG.. Is the mount without issues -  No,  but any there are can be relatively easily easovercome. Yes there is some backlash which can be easily overcome with careful balancing. At its price point it represents fantastic value for the money and I am certainly very happy with my purchase. 

Would you compare a Ford Mondeo to a Ferrari -  No which is why I  don't understand why people compare the EQ8 to a Paramount or 10 Micron,  AP or other high end mount its not a fair comparison. 

Archived