Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any new EQ8 Reports?

nmoushon

I found OAG very good for my RCT and suspect subtle mirror movements were the problem - but lower FLs as you says should be fine with a firm guide scope particularly if you use a refractor- weaker stars have been bad for me even if round!- Tony.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guide stars in the OAG (C9.25) look awful.. like an out of focus quarter Moon. Yet amazingly Maxim/ACP seems happy avoiding the brightish ones & picks the faintest ones I would not go for if setting up manually.

I'm about to order my new mount it's still a bit of a dead heat between the EQ8 and the CEM60. Last chance to pass on anything that you may feel useful from your experience. Any final thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Darren

------------------------------------------------

Twitter: @SalAstroSoc @Astronut1639 www.salfordastro.org.uk

Nexstar 8 GPS ADM MDS Rings & Counter Weights, Skywatcher ST80 & Synguider, Canon EOS 1000d,

Dew Heaters & 4 Channel Controller, Orbit Wedge, Observatory and not enough clear nights

I'm about to order my new mount it's still a bit of a dead heat between the EQ8 and the CEM60. Last chance to pass on anything that you may feel useful from your experience. Any final thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Darren

Nexstar 8 GPS ADM MDS Rings & Counter Weights, Skywatcher ST80 & Synguider, Canon EOS 1000d,

Dew Heaters & 4 Channel Controller, Orbit Wedge, Observatory and not enough clear nights

I guess load capacity & weight would be the main one. So depends how you want to use it & if you are having to lug it around or be Obsy based.

One other thing I was reminded of last night. I park in a horizontal position to clear the roof.  Thats my Ascom defined park position. With the EQ8 & EQMod, sometimes for a reason I'm not yet sure of, it thinks it's in the normal park position and starts to slew the wrong way. Annoying to say the least when running it remotely automated!  I used to have to go out, plug the hand set in and auto home it. Then it was happy.  Now EQ8Tools is available I can do it remotely so not as big a deal.  However, if this happens while you're not checking it/ asleep you loose the evenings capture. ACP for instance will eventually abort with a lost scope. The danger here is that the mount may end up in a position where it's not safe to close the roof. Of course there should be a way to alert you of this. I have sensors/scripts to make sure it doesn't close on the scope but if it rains before getting a chance to rectify the problem it won't be pleasant!

I used to get this problem quite a lot but since re-doing all the observatory low voltage power and wiring it hasn't done it.  Not that it's had much testing, mind you, no clear sky :(

Well I've had mt EQ8 or over a year now and have not really been able to use it in fully due to other priorities.

The imaging I have done the mount has performed flawlessly, however the imaging has been short focal length

Coupling the mount with EQMod has been a learning curve for me but also an eye opener, EQmod hasgreatly enhanced my enjoyment of using the mount, and I can understand why everyone recommends EQMod.

Ive just loaded the mount with my newtonian. My plan is to image some galaxies before the twilight kicks in up here. At the moment the scope is set up for some planetary imaging with a 5x telvue giving a fl around 5000mm ish, after parking the scope the other night and returning to it the following evening, I selected Jupiter as my target again and was happy to see Jupiter sitting in the centre of the small chip FOV.

I have still got some testing of the mount loaded and at a longer focal lenght but im fairly sure its going to perform well.

I've had mine for a year I guess, it has been great, small amount of backlash in both axis but it does not bother me.

I'm portable and its heavy but I manage just fine.

I like the fact that I can mount all my ancillaries on the head...focus controller, USB hub.

I just plug in a USB extension and power cables...mins to set up.

Ray

No problems like that here :smiley:

Interesting Gina, I don't know what triggers it. It's done it with 3 different computer setups, the Hitec EQdir I use with my HEQ5 & the ftdi cable I made up & use now. For some reason EQMod seems to loose sync with it's position on start up. Maybe it's a USB thing but I've replaced all the cables, Hubs (powered non powered) over the last few months. I've checked the power off & on load. The only thing I've not tried is feeding from a real battery supply, maybe I'll try it with the Tracer 22ah I use for the portable setup.. It's currently supplied via a 30amp bench supply.

One other thing I forgot to report before. When I was setting up ACP & Maxim I was playing around with the guiding calibration. When I was testing out guiding with ACP & then just guiding with Maxim to see what differences there were, I forgot to connect Maxim to the ACP telescope. ( Normally you use ascom guiding in Maxim with ACP & dont connect maxim to a telescope). So in fact it was running un guided!

I thought the graph looked a bit out but the test subs came out with round stars.... so that was with an OAG that wasn't actually talking to the mount with the C925!!

Edit: Forgot to say that was on 300s subs

Interesting Gina, I don't know what triggers it. It's done it with 3 different computer setups, the Hitec EQdir I use with my HEQ5 & the ftdi cable I made up & use now. For some reason EQMod seems to loose sync with it's position on start up. Maybe it's a USB thing but I've replaced all the cables, Hubs (powered non powered) over the last few months. I've checked the power off & on load. The only thing I've not tried is feeding from a real battery supply, maybe I'll try it with the Tracer 22ah I use for the portable setup.. It's currently supplied via a 30amp bench supply.

One other thing I forgot to report before. When I was setting up ACP & Maxim I was playing around with the guiding calibration. When I was testing out guiding with ACP & then just guiding with Maxim to see what differences there were, I forgot to connect Maxim to the ACP telescope. ( Normally you use ascom guiding in Maxim with ACP & dont connect maxim to a telescope). So in fact it was running un guided!

I thought the graph looked a bit out but the test subs came out with round stars.... so that was with an OAG that wasn't actually talking to the mount with the C925!!

Edit: Forgot to say that was on 300s subs

Just out of interest have you tried the same with a Prolific USB connection instead of the FTDI. I have had no luck even connecting with FTDI USB to my EQ8 mount. Only Prolific work at all. I have tried both 3.3v and 5v versions of FTDI. It may be a version difference between mount production.

Derek

Just out of interest have you tried the same with a Prolific USB connection instead of the FTDI. I have had no luck even connecting with FTDI USB to my EQ8 mount. Only Prolific work at all. I have tried both 3.3v and 5v versions of FTDI. It may be a version difference between mount production.

Derek

Thank-you for mentioning that, HitecAstro EQDIR adaptors use Prolific but EQDIR adapters with FTDI chipsets should work equally as well with the EQ8.

There are essentially two main manufacturers of chipsets used in EQDIR adapters: Prolific & FTDI. Prolific is by far the largest and most major brands use them but the FTDI chipset is every bit as good. It really doesn't matter which one is used (some users of the Windows 8 operating system might need to download and install a Windows-8 driver for Prolific - easily done). 

Please don't pay any attention to vendors saying one brand of EQDIR adapter is better than another simply because it uses Prolific or FTDI. Manufacturing quality will most likely determine if an EQDIR adapter is effective or not, that is what they should focus on. 

HTH, 

Steve

I have 2 HitecAstro adapters (the older style) that I've used on the 5,6 & 8. I Made up my own FTDI based 5v adapters for use with my mounts because I wanted the chipset incorporated into the plug as a single lead.

They have all performed the same for me ie. the observation I made in my earlier post has happened running under Win 7 using the Prolific & FTDI chipset. I now run the EQ8 on a Win 8 system with the FTDI 5v. I'm sceptical that on the odd occasion I experience this it is caused by either chipset to be honest. Much more likely to be a symptom of something else going on unique to my own setup/environment.

My personal preference is to use an FTDI chipset because it retains the same com port. Meaning you dont have to keep checking in device manager to see which one windaes has allocated to it every time you plug it in. Other than that.. once in use you cant tell the difference.

Thank-you for mentioning that (HitecAstro EQDIR adaptors use Prolific) but EQDIR adapters with FTDI chipsets should also work okay with the EQ8.

There are essentially two main manufacturers of chipsets used in EQDIR adapters: Prolific & FTDI. Prolific is by far the largest and most major brands use them but the FTDI chipset is every bit as good. It really doesn't matter which one is used (some users of the Windows 8 operating system might need to download and install a Windows-8 driver for Prolific - easily done). 

Please don't pay any attention to vendors saying one brand of EQDIR adapter is better than another simply because it uses Prolific or FTDI. Manufacturing quality will most likely determine if an EQDIR adapter is effective or not, that is what they should focus on. 

HTH, 

Steve

Hi Steve,

I would like to agree with you but cannot. I have several genuine FTDI leads, none of which will work with the EQ8 mount that I have. I did contact FTDI several months ago and got no where at all. They seemed to be interested at first then nothing came of it.

I bought the USB FTDI  leads from several different sources because I was not sure at first if some had been Chinese copies, FTDI was at one point bricking  the Chinese imports in their software, this has since been stopped. I bought two leads  from CPC/Farnell and two from RS Components. None worked. I was at first worried if I had a faulty mount. So I made up  another lead from a Prolific chip and that one worked first time. I also re-terminated an old original Hi Tec lead which also worked with out any problems.

One point though, is that EQMOD refuses to identify the COM Port  for the EQ8 with either Prolific  lead.  When I used my NEQ6 it always identified the Com Port without problem every time.

Regards,

Derek

I have 2 HitecAstro adapters (the older style) that I've used on the 5,6 & 8. I Made up my own FTDI based 5v adapters for use with my mounts because I wanted the chipset incorporated into the plug as a single lead.

They have all performed the same for me ie. the observation I made in my earlier post has happened running under Win 7 using the Prolific & FTDI chipset. I now run the EQ8 on a Win 8 system with the FTDI 5v. I'm sceptical that on the odd occasion I experience this it is caused by either chipset to be honest. Much more likely to be a symptom of something else going on unique to my own setup/environment.

My personal preference is to use an FTDI chipset because it retains the same com port. Meaning you dont have to keep checking in device manager to see which one windaes has allocated to it every time you plug it in. Other than that.. once in use you cant tell the difference.

Hi,

I am beginning to wonder if it is something to do with Windows 7, as that is the operating system I use. (I absolutely hate Win 8).

Derek

That is a convenient feature of FTDI. 

Hi Steve,

I would like to agree with you but cannot. I have several genuine FTDI leads, none of which will work with the EQ8 mount that I have. I did contact FTDI several months ago and got no where at all. They seemed to be interested at first then nothing came of it.

HitecAstro's EQDIR adapters use Prolific so perhaps I ought not to fight FTDI's corner :wink: but FTDI are a good chipset and should work equally as well as Prolific. Best discuss the problem with your supplier. 

One point though, is that EQMOD refuses to identify the COM Port  for the EQ8 with either Prolific  lead.  When I used my NEQ6 it always identified the Com Port without problem every time.

Regards,

Derek

I don't know why, it shouldn't make a difference using an EQ8 or NEQ6. I am not the most IT literate and it has been a long time since I used a PC but can you not find the Com port through Window's device manager? 

Steve 

That is a convenient feature of FTDI. 

HitecAstro's EQDIR adapters use Prolific so perhaps I ought not to fight FTDI's corner :wink: but FTDI are a good chipset and should work equally as well as Prolific. Best discuss the problem with your supplier. 

I don't know why, it shouldn't make a difference using an EQ8 or NEQ6. I am not the most IT literate and it has been a long time since I used a PC but can you not find the Com port through Window's device manager? 

Steve 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not a programmer. I have long  forgotten all I ever learned about Pascal and Basic years ago. I have been using and building computers since the 80's. I do use Device manager to select the Com Port manually, it is the only way to get connection to the EQ8 mount. The mount then works perfectly every time. It is just the EQTOOL BOX, EQMOD etc that wont see the COM Port. Once specified  everything works. I have tried both 5 volt and 3.3 volt versions of genuine FTDI leads. None work with my mount at all. Not even when specified in Device manager. I spent several days trying to find a cure with no luck.

I would have preferred to use FTDI specifically because of the COM Port retention facility. It worked really well with my previous NEQ6 mount, and EQMOD found the COM PORT every time then.

Until the problem is found I will now use Prolific. FTDI shot themselves in the foot with their BRICKING of foreign imports.

EQMOD's inability to see the COM Port is another problem. That one I suspect is up to Chris Shillito to figure out. I am not the only one who has that problem wit EQMOD.

I am in NO way attempting to put down Chris and EQMOD. He and IT are the best thing since sliced bread for all of us using NEQ/EQ mounts. It is a great program!

Regards,

Derek

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren,

I can not comment on the EQ8, so my comments are purely on the CEM60.  I like this mount a lot for it's portability, but I am kind of still struggling with the autoguiding.  PHD2 is doing it's job, but the traces I am getting look no where near as good as some of the PHD traces I am seeing here :(.  Also, last time I was out using PHD2, although it was autoguiding on a star, the images I was getting for just 5 minute exposures were not great :(.  It is very likely that this is down to something I am still doing wrong with my set-up, but the RA guiding looked pretty my perfect, and it was the DEC which was all over the place (if I had been badly polar aligned, I would have thought it would have been the other way round :confused:).  Honestly, if I had my own observatory, I would get a pier and buy the EQ8, but as this is not an option for me, I would still do what I have done by buying the CEM60, as there is no chance I would want to move the EQ8 around like I do with the CEM60. 

FTDI shot themselves in the foot with their BRICKING of foreign imports.

I had no idea what 'bricking' was. Our IT wizard patiently explained what it meant then suggested perhaps I ought not to be posting in a discussion involving IT... :biggrin:

I'll go spend some time with the Dob-mob, it's safer there. 

Steve

Hi Darren,

I can not comment on the EQ8, so my comments are purely on the CEM60.  I like this mount a lot for it's portability, but I am kind of still struggling with the autoguiding.  PHD2 is doing it's job, but the traces I am getting look no where near as good as some of the PHD traces I am seeing here :(.  Also, last time I was out using PHD2, although it was autoguiding on a star, the images I was getting for just 5 minute exposures were not great :(.  It is very likely that this is down to something I am still doing wrong with my set-up, but the RA guiding looked pretty my perfect, and it was the DEC which was all over the place (if I had been badly polar aligned, I would have thought it would have been the other way round :confused:).  Honestly, if I had my own observatory, I would get a pier and buy the EQ8, but as this is not an option for me, I would still do what I have done by buying the CEM60, as there is no chance I would want to move the EQ8 around like I do with the CEM60. 

Hi Dave,

I do not have the CEM60. By all accounts it is a really good mount. It's load capacity is possibly its only problem. The EQ8 has an enormous capacity but at the cost of being extremely heavy to lug about. When I go to a star party I need a large car to carry all in. If I remember correctly the weight of all equipment comes to around 250 kg. That includes scope,  boxes, wires, chargers, spares  and batteries etc.,

I am getting older and sometimes wonder what will happen in a few years time. I may have to downgrade to a lower mass setup.

I have used PHD for a couple of years now but cannot get away with PHD2. I just can't seem to get the setting set up correctly. Most likely my own fault. So possibly look at your settings again.

Regards,

Derek

Until the problem is found I will now use Prolific. FTDI shot themselves in the foot with their BRICKING of foreign imports.

AFAIK, they didn't "brick foreign imports". They changed their drivers to detect chipsets that had used counterfeited chips and then they changed the ID inside the chip. FTDI have had their chips comprehensively ripped off by the Chinese chip copiers. This is also one of the reasons why some earlier chips have no Windows 8 drivers available...it was one of the few ways that they have of protecting their IP.

I'm not saying that their approach was correct, but they were not affecting kosher chips, only cloned chips.

AFAIK, they didn't "brick foreign imports". They changed their drivers to detect chipsets that had used counterfeited chips and then they changed the ID inside the chip. FTDI have had their chips comprehensively ripped off by the Chinese chip copiers. This is also one of the reasons why some earlier chips have no Windows 8 drivers available...it was one of the few ways that they have of protecting their IP.

I'm not saying that their approach was correct, but they were not affecting kosher chips, only cloned chips.

Yes, sorry I should have been more specific, it was Chinese copies I believe. But FTDI recognised their mistake when there was a bit of an outcry about it. They later stopped and admitted it and windows automatic update stopped the offending driver being downloaded. ( 2.12.00 WHQL If I remember) I now use 2.10.00 without problems for control of my Kendrick dew heater.

Derek

Derek I sourced my FTDI products from Farnell. I wonder if there's an incompatibility with your system's chipset, have you tried other 'puters? I actually went out of my way to avoid Win 8 but had weird problems trying to get everything running with Win 7 so I moved onto Win 8 end of last year! To be honest I would much prefer Unix.. or MacOS.. ok.. maybe Linux ;) But I'm too long in the tooth to reinvent the wheel!

Of course, we are lucky that EQMod works with the EQ8 as it was developed long before it was produced. I expect Synta has thrown a few extra's into the mix that we will have no hope of gaining function of as the dll is closed source. Chris seems to be the last man standing and I am in awe at his continuing dedication & support for this.  Chris and EQMod are the best salesforce Synta have got! I really hope they realise that, because I would not own all 3 of their mounts for imaging if it were not for EQMod!

There's no way I would lug an EQ8 around as a portable setup! I got the HEQ5 because the EQ6 was starting to do my back in!

That's probably where the CEM60 wins if the payload is enough.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the EQ8 or the NEQ6 as portable mounts.  Just about "luggable" over short distances is as far as I would go.  But then again I'm not a fit young man or athletic woman. 

Archived