Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any new EQ8 Reports?

nmoushon

GOTO accuracy means next to nothing for me. I Unpark and then slew to a star near my target. A laser pointer mounted on the imaging scope gets the star on the FoV of the camera. Synch on the star in CdC and then slew to target. The mount will stay on the target until Im finished.

I really must learn about AstroTortilla sometime.

Not wanting to take the thread off topic but I think it's well worth saying that plate solving with Astrotortilla (I tried Elbrus first but couldn't get it to run) made a big difference in getting on target & imaging without any fuss. I love the way you just have to unpark, feed it a sub from your previous session & off it goes, aligns you up ready to carry on exactly where you left off... so cool. As I explore more of Maxim's features I'll probably have to switch to Pinpoint to be able to script more automation. But.. only if I cant integrate AT into the workflow, it's probably easier to get going & it does what it says on the tin.. give it a try.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not wanting to take the thread off topic but I think it's well worth saying that plate solving with Astrotortilla (I tried Elbrus first but couldn't get it to run) made a big difference in getting on target & imaging without any fuss. I love the way you just have to unpark, feed it a sub from your previous session & off it goes, aligns you up ready to carry on exactly where you left off... so cool. As I explore more of Maxim's features I'll probably have to switch to Pinpoint to be able to script more automation. But.. only if I cant integrate AT into the workflow, it's probably easier to get going & it does what it says on the tin.. give it a try.

No worries...this thread was never really on topic to begin with lol. But I dont mind I'm still learning new stuff so no harm.

I'm in no rush to buy a mount so I still have plenty of time to wait for more reviews on the EQ8 to come out. Like I've said before the AP900 is very enticing because of its build quality and performance record. The EQ8 is inticing because of its price and the past performance record of its counterparts like the HEQ5 and EQ6. It might have some pretty big hiccups right now but in a year or so maybe they get work out maybe not. Only time can tell. They only hit the US market about 2 weeks ago and there are already signs of people ordering them. Much smaller numbers than over in Europe but the US has so many premium mount options to begin with that this new gun at half the price is causing quite a fuss. But people have stated that it could prove itself but thats will only happen with field experience. So again time will tell.

I think it's the same one or two mounts discussed across multiple forums :wink:

I don't know how much longer I'll be able to say this but Olly's mount is still the only EQ8 returned in the UK (not just at FLO but across all UK dealers). So from our POV the EQ8 has had a very successful launch. 

Much of the negativity centred around only one or two mounts is the natural resistance experienced when any new product threatens the status quo. It will pass and things will settle quietly into their new order  :smiley:

Steve 

I don't know how much longer I'll be able to say this but Olly's mount is still the only EQ8 returned in the UK (not just at FLO but across all UK dealers). So from our POV the EQ8 has had a very successful launch.

Much of the negativity centred around only one or two mounts is the natural resistance experienced when any new product threatens the status quo. It will pass and things will settle quietly into their new order :smiley:

Steve

The thing that has stopped me ordering one has been the lack of usable nights since it launched here in the UK. I don't think anyone who bought one has been able to give it a proper run so, as this thread suggests, there is no other news?

I don't know what the lead times are for these now Steve, but In my case even ordering one now, weather aside, once we hit April there's not much usable dark time again until nearly October really. That's a big chunk of warranty gone by with no use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big plus with an observatory based mount is the use of a dedicated PC, and being able to run EQMod is a MASSIVE plus for EQ8 owners and potential buyers, adding features that normally come as part of more expensive handsets/software, and enabling the mount to operate above and beyond its standard specification.

Along with attention to the finer details, like no swinging wires, good shelter from the elements, a pier base separated from the main obsy floor, off axis guiding, etc, it was the ease of use and intuitive controls for pulse guiding within EQMod then enabled my plain old bog standard EQ6 to operate for 30 minute plus subs at nearly 3 metres focal length. If it can enable a simple old EQ6 to perform that well, then surely with a newer more powerful EQ8 mount you'll be just plain sailing? As conditions vary each night you need to adjust the mount and guiding to suit, again a piece of cake in EQMod. Not forgetting the use of wireless controllers of course, can the AP 900 do that? I do miss wireless hand controls :/ The AP900 uses dated connections and I believe are now out of production(?), whilst the EQ8 is just at the start of its life and what promises to be a bright future.

The money you save can go on an off axis guider and very sensitive camera like the Lodestar, which you will need to guide the C11 :D

Why do you say that? There's only one been returned, according to FLO.

This is probably the cause of my worry. I know Olly has been the only noted one that has returned their EQ8 (Not sure about other suppliers but I'm sure its similar). The big hiccup that I'm talking about is the reason Olly returned his. The smaller hiccups that also concern me have been brought up by a good hand full of people here. It varies from noise of gears grinding, bad backlash is one axis or the other, the backlash going away then returning or not returning, ect. Not huge problems but it concerns me that by the laws of nature everything breaks the day after warranty expires :mad:

My hesitation has nothing to do with FLO or SW or anyone than owns an EQ8. Just for the type of money these high mounts costs I'm forcing myself to be over cautious. Especially since this will be my forever mount or until I win the lottery.

Have a look on the EQ8 Yahoo group. There's not many reports of duds on there.

And you've got to remember that NO mass produced mount will have a success ratio of 100%. Example: There's a guy on another forum that I frequent that's trying to get a Paramount ME mount sorted. He's having to resort to swapping out capacitors in the control boards and checking the encoders with an oscilloscope. He still hasn't solved the problem. The Bisque brother are involved and yet the mount won't home properly. I don't see many people questioning the Paramounts though...

I am really, really, REALLY hoping that my EQ8 will be the only mount that I will have to buy in many years. So far, it's been faultless (for the literally hundreds of *minutes* use that it has had! :grin:  Damn this weather :mad: :mad: ).

Its a new mount. A couple of users have had problems. Thats to be expected in any mass produced unit.

Its a storm in a teacup IMHO, and one thats only of interest because the mount is so new.

A big plus with an observatory based mount is the use of a dedicated PC, and being able to run EQMod is a MASSIVE plus for EQ8 owners and potential buyers, adding features that normally come as part of more expensive handsets/software, and enabling the mount to operate above and beyond its standard specification.

Along with attention to the finer details, like no swinging wires, good shelter from the elements, a pier base separated from the main obsy floor, off axis guiding, etc, it was the ease of use and intuitive controls for pulse guiding within EQMod then enabled my plain old bog standard EQ6 to operate for 30 minute plus subs at nearly 3 metres focal length. If it can enable a simple old EQ6 to perform that well, then surely with a newer more powerful EQ8 mount you'll be just plain sailing? As conditions vary each night you need to adjust the mount and guiding to suit, again a piece of cake in EQMod. Not forgetting the use of wireless controllers of course, can the AP 900 do that? I do miss wireless hand controls :/ The AP900 uses dated connections and I believe are now out of production(?), whilst the EQ8 is just at the start of its life and what promises to be a bright future.

The money you save can go on an off axis guider and very sensitive camera like the Lodestar, which you will need to guide the C11 :D

This is a big help. If you were able to get 30min subs with your C11 on a EQ6 then I'll agree with you that the EQ8 "should" have no problems doing that. Give the right equipement that is. I plan on trying to use my dual chip to guide with. I have it so why not?! I know the problems that come with dual chips so I will be getting a OAG to have incase I decide dual chip is not worth the trouble. I also plan on using my QHY5-II as my guide cam and hoping that will be sensitive enough. I know Lodestars are amazing but I don't want to fork over that kind of money for a guide cam.....I know I'm stingy.

Have a look on the EQ8 Yahoo group. There's not many reports of duds on there.

And you've got to remember that NO mass produced mount will have a success ratio of 100%. Example: There's a guy on another forum that I frequent that's trying to get a Paramount ME mount sorted. He's having to resort to swapping out capacitors in the control boards and checking the encoders with an oscilloscope. He still hasn't solved the problem. The Bisque brother are involved and yet the mount won't home properly. I don't see many people questioning the Paramounts though...

I am really, really, REALLY hoping that my EQ8 will be the only mount that I will have to buy in many years. So far, it's been faultless (for the literally hundreds of *minutes* use that it has had! :grin:  Damn this weather :mad: :mad: ).

Its a new mount. A couple of users have had problems. Thats to be expected in any mass produced unit.

Its a storm in a teacup IMHO, and one thats only of interest because the mount is so new.

I havent had a look at the yahoo group. Good to hears the problems are at a minimal on there to. Unfortunately the AP900 is discontinued so that is a problem I hadn't really thought of.

I do have a bit before I could purchase a new mount so I guess by that time there should be enough reviews to put this whole thing to rest. Or at least have a suitable solution to any problems.

Hopefully the dual chip will be enough for you. At f10 you will find suitable guide stars to be few and far between, although I have never failed to find one, having a moveable guide chip has been the difference, ie, rotating the guider around to find a star. Even at f7 the choice is limited.

Earlier in the thread I think someone mentioned AO guiding, and whether it has died a natural death. From the results I have seen so far, the attraction of the system is to make long focal imaging more accurate and increase resolution. However to do this effectively the AO guider needs to find a bright enough star in the FOV that it can adjust the window many times per second. Enter the above problem of suitable guide stars....

The best image I have seen produced with one was taken by MartinB, a long focal length Horsehead nebula. But to produce the image I seem to recall that Martin was guiding on Alnitak.......

The technology is very appealing for sure (isn't it all? :D ) but you can go a long way to get decent resolution by fine tuning the little things to keep the mount steadier.

Cheers

Tim

I have to agree with Zakalwe- I use my EQ8 on a pier with EQMOD and PHD and last night managed 90 minutes of 10minute subs of NGC 3953 which were only ruined and washed out by a full moon- also storm clouds stopped play! Still it performed perfectly for me found the target easily and tracked well -Tony

EQMOD compatibility was a big driver for me when selecting this mount. Chris Shillito and the other developers have done the amateur community a massive service by developing EQMOD. I think that they deserve recognition by Skywatcher et al....the software is a tremendous boon to users of their equipment.

• 1 month later...

Hi:

I live in the USA and plan to acquire a mount to take to the field. I have a Celestron CGE Pro that is installed in my observatory. I am looking for a good mount that I can take to the field for astrophotography, but it must be very stable. I have been looking at the EQ8 and considering it. It is lighter than the CGE Pro bit seems to be very stable. I would like input from EQ8 users as to reliability, tracking accuracy over long exposures (if possible around 20 minutes to 30 minutes), quality of the product in terms of construction, use in the field, and if there are any problems with the mount (actual end verified problems please, not "I heard" or "I read somewhere").

I shall appreciate any help.

Jose Auger

Hi - took some H alpha subs tonight-half moon around -30mins and round stars with 1 metre FL with my 8inch RCT -so it is possible to guide long exposures with this mount -Tony

I'd echo this. Mine guides beautifully. I haven't done any decent unguided tests, just some quick'n'dirty 2 minute subs in horrible conditions. But they were at 1.7 metres focal length and they looked good.

My PE looks OKs too....5.1 arc-seconds.

NewPECanalysis_zps7eb83518.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi:

I live in the USA and plan to acquire a mount to take to the field. I have a Celestron CGE Pro that is installed in my observatory. I am looking for a good mount that I can take to the field for astrophotography, but it must be very stable. I have been looking at the EQ8 and considering it. It is lighter than the CGE Pro bit seems to be very stable. I would like input from EQ8 users as to reliability, tracking accuracy over long exposures (if possible around 20 minutes to 30 minutes), quality of the product in terms of construction, use in the field, and if there are any problems with the mount (actual end verified problems please, not "I heard" or "I read somewhere").

I shall appreciate any help.

Jose Auger

Hi Jose,

Head fine, legs awful, (rust if looked at) and adjustment leg bases usless, as not attached and don't move around with the mount legs in adjustment. Still early days at present. Need some good weather to test it out properly.

Regards,

Derek

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but are there any new reports, progress updates from longtime users? What is the QC on EQ8 now, have the early niggles been worked out?

Thanks

Darren

Darren

------------------------------------------------

Twitter: @SalAstroSoc @Astronut1639 www.salfordastro.org.uk

Nexstar 8 GPS ADM MDS Rings & Counter Weights, Skywatcher ST80 & Synguider, Canon EOS 1000d,

Dew Heaters & 4 Channel Controller, Orbit Wedge, Observatory and not enough clear nights

Don't want to tempt fate... but....

Pretty impressed & happy. There is a little DEC play but surprisingly as yet I haven't bothered trying to adjust it out as it doesn't seem to be causing an issue. At least not with the C925 & an OAG. I'm effectively running it with full automation now too with ACP.

Been running the C925 & an Esprit 80 fully loaded with CCD's FW heavy Moonlight with focuser/rotator motors. No problem at all. Quite a step up from the EQ6. I did get another weight to keep the C/balance closer to the mount.

Don't want to tempt fate... but....

Pretty impressed & happy. There is a little DEC play but surprisingly as yet I haven't bothered trying to adjust it out as it doesn't seem to be causing an issue. At least not with the C925 & an OAG. I'm effectively running it with full automation now too with ACP.

Been running the C925 & an Esprit 80 fully loaded with CCD's FW heavy Moonlight with focuser/rotator motors. No problem at all. Quite a step up from the EQ6. I did get another weight to keep the C/balance closer to the mount.

Why did you want the counterbalance closer to the mount? The further away gives more stability as the moment of  inertia increases the farther out from the pivot point, thus decreasing the susceptibility to movement by wind etc. I'm a bit puzzled over that?

Derek

Archived