Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this the new Skywatcher Dob 18 ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much bigger they will go? I mean there is a point that they will become too expensive or just too big  for anyone to be able to handle, or am I lacking imagination? I  can see a large shed (sort of  like a airplane hanger) running out of the shed a smaller gauge rail track, with some sort of railmotor ready to haul out this (portable) monster, those who suffer from vertigo won't want to climb the Huge ladder necessary to get to the eyepiece( because it would have to be a reflector) safety harness would be required and thick warm coats during the cooler months, still this is all folly, I mean in the age of automation you shouldn't have to leave your computer, ah well it was developing into a  fairly good yarn, see ya.

• 11 months later...

Hi niallk. Yes i have i was concerned with the line "Altitude axis get stuck and it jumps when trying to manually center an object". Yet ive read another review that said motions in all directions was smooth. So i need to see the product in person. I wonder if FLO have it in a showroom? Ill give em a call.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting truss braces! Out of interest, where did you come across this ad? I know it has been on the product roadmap, but expected it to be a couple of yrs before we see it released as SW judges the market reaction to the 18".

Interesting truss braces! Out of interest, where did you come across this ad? I know it has been on the product roadmap, but expected it to be a couple of yrs before we see it released as SW judges the market reaction to the 18".

My girlfriend came across it on a French astro forum. There was some chat saying is was appearing sooner rather than later. I'll post the link later.

Nice one Mert! Very interested in these dobs even though I'm not in the market to buy... My dose of aperture fever dreams are only barely in remission! The step from a 10" to a 15" this year has only whetted my apetite :) Reality is I won't be buying a scope for another 10 yrs...

Nice one Mert! Very interested in these dobs even though I'm not in the market to buy... My dose of aperture fever dreams are only barely in remission! The step from a 10" to a 15" this year has only whetted my apetite :) Reality is I won't be buying a scope for another 10 yrs...

I know what you mean, aperture fever is never cured I feel lol

I know what you mean, aperture fever is never cured I feel lol

Thought I was, too. Had some very handy advice that I'd need to upgrade to a 25 incher to make a visible difference from the 16 inch...just cannot afford that, so that's my treatment for aperture fever...  :D

Thought I was, too. Had some very handy advice that I'd need to upgrade to a 25 incher to make a visible difference from the 16 inch...just cannot afford that, so that's my treatment for aperture fever... :D

lol I went from 3" frac to 8" dob, then from a 12" dob to the 22" dob, then I bought a 5" dob formy 4 year old daughter who loves it.

The whole mirror is completely exposed. Don't like that.

Agreed. Very exposed and vulnerable. As suggested, a light shroud would help, but looks all too easy to drop something on it, or just brush the shroud against.

Would still suffer from dewing, I think, unless you're using it in the Atacama Desert.

Reading the link - fascinating. The French seem quite suspicious of mass produced mirror quality at that aperture....and advise to go for a smaller aperture made by bespoke mirror makers....

It's interesting reading, a friend has been in contact with David Lukehurst and other suppliers looking for a big scope, he was looking at the 18" also.

Archived