Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrofest2014 Today

Pig

Did anyone else go to the Astrofest ?

I have just got home from a very enjoyable day and I only spent £6.00p :shocked:

After seeing quite a few Dobs today I have to admit they are starting to grow on me, the Orion 16 inch, GSO & ES 12 inch look very nice indeed.

I also got to meet a couple of members of SGL and spent a big chunk of time with young  Imad, what a great bloke he is, fantastic sense of humour and a pleasure to meet.

I must add meeting genuine people seems to be more of a rarity these days. However, today I did meet a few.

I had a chat with Mr Nagler, a very inspirational man indeed. I think I have personally paid for his tan with the eyepieces I have purchased this year.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish I could have been there with you, we do not have anything like this. Something makes me think I would have spent more than 6 quid though, the 4.7mm Ethos may have been difficult to leave behind.

Alan.

I was very tempted Alan,

I had a good look at the Ethos range and picked up a 4.7mm Ethos, feels and looks a very nice eyepiece indeed. :grin:

hahahaha...you'll be in the dob mob before you know it..only £6.00...typo there!

I think you may be right Calvin, maybe not quite yet :smiley: but one day. They are lovely scopes without a doubt.

I went today and was very tempted by the ES 12" dob - much more portable than my solid tube.

I came away with another TV EP - 24mm Panoptic this time.  My daughter likes her space colouring-in sheet, glow in the dark planets and free cardboard binoculars better though.

Andrew

I went today and was very tempted by the ES 12" dob - much more portable than my solid tube.

I came away with another TV EP - 24mm Panoptic this time.  My daughter likes her space colouring-in sheet, glow in the dark planets and free cardboard binoculars better though.

Andrew

Yes we had a good chat with the guy on the ES stand, The 12 inch looks very portable indeed, 3 small boxes altogether I believe. From the sales pitch it sounds that it is purposely constructed from aluminium with the intention of not being a dew magnet.

Been there today, had a chat with FLO, met Barkis, Bunnygod and another member whose name I didn't catch due to my rubbish hearing (Ears are also bunged up which didn't help), bought a light pollution map from the BAS stand, then went and bought a QHY 5 II guide camera on my way out, even though I wasn't going to spend any money :embarassed: . Saw the new Vixen 100mm f/3.8, had a play with the focusing ring, now trying to find the thick end of £6k for it.

Was very impressed with the ASA direct drive mount, and under £7k too. A bargain!

So, a really great day out and not too expensive.

really enjoyed astrofest today, met and spoke to some very interesting people who were happy to share there knowldge. it was agood job i left the credit card at home today though ! 

Went yesterday afternoon but didn't meet any SGL members - perhaps we should wear badges. Looked at all the dobs but just bought a couple of bits and pieces and a couple of nice books from the CUP stand.

Very enjoyable just chatting with peep,on their stands and viewing all the gear

Went yesterday afternoon but didn't meet any SGL members - perhaps we should wear badges. Looked at all the dobs but just bought a couple of bits and pieces and a couple of nice books from the CUP stand.

Very enjoyable just chatting with peep,on their stands and viewing all the gear

I agree Kerry, its quite difficult to know who anyone is unless you have an indication. I took a guess with Imad and fortunately it was him :smiley: I think others may want to keep their anonymity, which is understandable :smiley:

Similar oddly, bought a moon map - this one makes sense, couple of books, spoke to Al Nagler - I have enough of his eyepieces afterall. Presume the ES 12" was the one with twin fans built in, spoke with the guy there for some time.

Found the talks talks reasonable, only booked for the morning and went off for lunch after the break and looking round.

So not too costly a visit at the end.

In a way I'm glad I couldn't have gone - I've got a holiday to pay for, and I've got to put aside some money for AP, which will inevitably get spent :rolleyes:.

In another way though, I wish I could have been there, it would very much feel like I was a kid in a candy store. I'm sure many of you wouldn't spot me, unless I introduced myself that is ;)(or, and far more fun, I brought all my scopes along :evil:).

Similar oddly, bought a moon map - this one makes sense, couple of books, spoke to Al Nagler - I have enough of his eyepieces afterall. Presume the ES 12" was the one with twin fans built in, spoke with the guy there for some time.

Found the talks talks reasonable, only booked for the morning and went off for lunch after the break and looking round.

So not too costly a visit at the end.

The moon map does look quite detailed Ronin, especially so now I have had time to have a quick look at it at home. I did mean the twin cooled ES 12 " :laugh:

Archived