Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Success at last

I looked out last night, and behold........a clear sky moment.

Got out my 6SE with a 25mm EP and  started to look around.

Having failed on many occasions with the skyalign, I again made an attempt. After advice here I went for the auto 2 star align........guess what.........it worked.

Knowing where I could find Betelgeuse, I used that as the first star, then went on to Mizar.........and success.

The only issue I think I had on accuracy was maybe the time taken between alignment of the 2 stars. When I subsequently selected Jupiter as a 'goto' I was marginally off when looking through the RDF, and indeed Jupiter was just in view within the scope eyepiece. So I then had the manual correction necessary when selecting other targets.

Does the time lag between star selection have a significant effect on accuracy, as seen, or did I get as accurate as the system allows???

In all, it was a great hour just looking around and searching with the handset. For me, as a newbie, this was just perfect.

One ting I learnt was that some planning is essential for an evening session!!!

in addition to what Peter says one other issue is probably your eyepiece. Even a small difference when centering a star for alignment purposes can make a big difference when slewing to your chosen object after you have aligned. That is why it is better to use a large 25mm eyepiece to get it near as you did, and i then usually pop in a 6 mm slightly out of focus to get it bang on.

Another tip is you will find when your scope approaches a target, it will make the final adjustments from the same direction. My goto last moves are up and right as i look at it. This is important because of the slack in the gear train (not sure exactly how much it is but for arguments sake lets estimate a 1/2 of a degree, think thats about half a 25mm eyepiece view in your case).

Therefore it will improve your accuracy if you also approach alignment from the same directions as your scope does when slewing to targets to eliminate as much as possible the gear train slack.

hth

steve

Archived