Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ3, SmartEQ, Other (please specify).....

Hi

I have been thinking for ages about upgrading to an EQ mount for my 127mm Skymax so that I can dual purpose it as a widefield tracking mount for my DSLR (for focal lengths up to about 200mm).

I have narrowed my choices down to either a Skywatcher EQ3 or a iOptron SmartEQ pro.

Both have goto, both claim to be able to hold up to 5kg and both come in at around £400-450.

Has anyone been able to compare these two mounts?  If so then which would you rather use?

Thanks

The trouble is, there's always a better bit of kit out there for another £50 here or £100 there. I have to draw the line somewhere.

I'm not badly off but I have a young family and they come first so suggestions will need to be within a similar budget.

I'd happily go second hand but I've been looking for a while and I haven't seen anything suitable come up in a long time.

The trouble is, there's always a better bit of kit out there for another £50 here or £100 there. I have to draw the line somewhere.

I'm not badly off but I have a young family and they come first so suggestions will need to be within a similar budget.

I'd happily go second hand but I've been looking for a while and I haven't seen anything suitable come up in a long time.

I agree there is allways something a little better for a bit more.

I am happy with my EQ3-2 it is reasonably portable and performs well with short/medium focal length camera lenses and small scopes often matching the sub lengths of an EQ5 it also has a reasonable resale value if you ever decide to go further with AP.

I cant comment on the iOptron but im sure someone might chip in.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I've not used the EQ3 but have the SmartEQ pro. I really live it. My requirements were a little different though. For me it was all about an airline portable, go-to mount that didn't cost the £1k+ an astrotrac would have been. For me it fits the bill. I use with with an Equinox 66 or widefield rig guided though a 9x50 finderguider. For info here's an orion pic that I took recently:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgibbs/11798630854/in/set-72157629146002557

I think the main thing you need to think about though is using it with the 127. It's a long focal length scope so any vibration will show. At that FL the SmartEq isn't ideal as the tripod is not the best. Equally, the scope is approx 3.5kg if I remember rightly so that doesn't leave much room for a camera/eyepieces and finderscope with the 5KG limit.

My advice would be to go second hand and get an HEQ5 or EQ5 if you're not restricted weight wise.  There's a goto CG5 (same as the EQ5 I believe)  on Astrobuyandsell at the moment or an EQ5 with 200p (you could sell the 200p to be within your budget). Please note that I'm not in any way connected with either seller. 

Other option is put in the Extra £50, get an EQ5 pro from FLO and sell the handset and buy a EQ Direct module for direct EQMOD control of the EQ5 Pro via stellarium etc.  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html 

I've not used the EQ3 but have the SmartEQ pro. I really live it. My requirements were a little different though. For me it was all about an airline portable, go-to mount that didn't cost the £1k+ an astrotrac would have been. For me it fits the bill. I use with with an Equinox 66 or widefield rig guided though a 9x50 finderguider. For info here's an orion pic that I took recently:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgibbs/11798630854/in/set-72157629146002557

I think the main thing you need to think about though is using it with the 127. It's a long focal length scope so any vibration will show. At that FL the SmartEq isn't ideal as the tripod is not the best. Equally, the scope is approx 3.5kg if I remember rightly so that doesn't leave much room for a camera/eyepieces and finderscope with the 5KG limit.

My advice would be to go second hand and get an HEQ5 or EQ5 if you're not restricted weight wise.  There's a goto CG5 (same as the EQ5 I believe)  on Astrobuyandsell at the moment or an EQ5 with 200p (you could sell the 200p to be within your budget). Please note that I'm not in any way connected with either seller. 

Other option is put in the Extra £50, get an EQ5 pro from FLO and sell the handset and buy a EQ Direct module for direct EQMOD control of the EQ5 Pro via stellarium etc.  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Thanks, it's nice to hear an owner review, they're few and far between for this kit.

I'm not planning to use the mak for photography at all, just for visual use, and I don't believe it can be any wobblier than the Skywatcher Synscan AZ mount.  If anything I was thinking I'll maybe attach a short tube refractor in the future but that's about it.

All that said I'm still torn between this and the EQ mounts from Skywatcher, I see the occasional one come up second hand but invariably they're always on the other side on the country and by the time I factor in fuel cost I may as well get a new one.

I'm in no hurry so I think I'll just bide my time a little longer.

For £450 you can get an HEQ5 second hand on ABS - I've checked the archives. That's what I would get for that budget.

And if one ever comes up again at that price, I will.

Bear in mind that the original remit was a tracking mount for my DSLR for some widefield work.

Archived