Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finders : Skysurfer V vs. Telrad

Just acquired my first scope (Skyliner 200p dob) and already think that I want to upgrade the finder to something more intuitive.

There's loads of praise for the Telrad on this forum (It's the ugly bulkiness of the thing that is putting me off!), but much less comment on the Skysurfer V which i'm considering.

Any advice please, before I lay out the dosh?

I have the same scope as you and went with the Telrad. I have it mounted next to the finder. I was considering other finders too but stuck with the telrad as it was so highly rated. I found a place on the interweb that lets you download finder charts with the telrad reticle printed on them to make locating objects easier too.

I would keep in mind the Rigel Quickfinder. It does effectively the same job as the telrad but has a more upright frame and is far less bulky. I actually removed my viewfinder altogether and only have the rigel. Found M82 with it in no time at all the other evening and can say the same for several other targets. I love my rigel!

Only used a red dot finder (sky surfer v), it's very intuitive and I've had no dramas with it at all. It works so much better for me than a normal finderscope, I'd recommend it to everyone with a Dob.

I use it on a skyliner 150 Dob with a zoom EP so the only slight niggle is the combined weight, although I offset this with my own counter weight.

Pick carefully.

Finders are one of those items that different people like different variants.

I have a right angle finder on one scope, an RDF on another and have used a laser finder on one. Friend has a simple straight through on a 12" dob and thinks it is great - put head down look through finder, locate item go back to eyepiece. He never has a problem.loves the damn thing.

They are just one of those things that one of the 4 or 5 options will be right, the catch is finding out which one.

So when someone says "I have type X and it is the greatest thing ever", it may be for them.

Pick carefully.

Finders are one of those items that different people like different variants.

I have a right angle finder on one scope, an RDF on another and have used a laser finder on one. Friend has a simple straight through on a 12" dob and thinks it is great - put head down look through finder, locate item go back to eyepiece. He never has a problem.loves the damn thing.

They are just one of those things that one of the 4 or 5 options will be right, the catch is finding out which one.

So when someone says "I have type X and it is the greatest thing ever", it may be for them.

Good post.

I use a Rigel QuikFinder mounted next to a 9x50 RACI optical finder and the combination works well for me. I don't get on with single dot RDF's because I have a tendency to 'loose' the star I am after behind the dot. But I do know many people that prefer the single dot RDF and just a low power eyepiece. Unless you have a go with something, you won't really know for sure if it's right for you or not.

The joy with the Telrad and the Rigel is that you know the apparent size of the disks they project against the sky. This can really helpful with star hopping as it gives a sense of scale which otherwise can be hard to guage.

The joy with the Telrad and the Rigel is that you know the apparent size of the disks they project against the sky. This can really helpful with star hopping as it gives a sense of scale which otherwise can be hard to guage.

I'd agree this is the main benefit with a rigel/telrad or anything that project circles.  IMHO be it a red dot or telrad/rigel, they all get the job done once you get used to it.  I use a RDF on my smaller Heritage scope and love it too. I use the rigel on the bigger Dob, but never felt a need to move the rigel into the smaller Dob. 

Other things to consider besides weight/size are thing like how likely they'll dew up, brightness adjustment, some are harder to look through.  I also like pulse feature of the rigel which is included by default, and cost extra on the telrad.  I find it can be useful in very faint star situation in combination with setting the pulse rate appropriately. 

You may find this review useful

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cloudynights.com%2Fdocuments%2F9finders.pdf&ei=lK3qUrW2OrSy7AaBvoC4BA&usg=AFQjCNGNaIHFBOWqiTiWpDpzbDu4BEWNWg&bvm=bv.60444564,d.ZGU

I'd like to know people's opinions on the SkySurfer V vs the standard Celestron Red Dot Finder as comes supplied on the 8SE.  I find it really difficult to focus on the stars when the Red Dot Finder enters my vision, I just end up going cross-eyed and see two of everything!

I can't comment on the particular RDF you mention but my favourite between the Telrad and Rigel is the latter. As mentioned it includes the pulsing feature, weighs much less and its small footprint and viewing height are great. You need to mount your 200p Dob on a Water Butt Stand http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/205732-my-sw-skyliner-200p-additions-and-modifications/ and should then find looking through the straight through 9x50 and the Rigel comfortable for your back and not a contorsion exercise.

Hiya Avocette,

(Beautiful bird btw.)

Thanks for your comment and the link - good improvisation!

One of the things i love about astronomy (and this forum) is the good old "just knocked it up in me shed, son" ethos.

You know, dew shields made out of camp mats, "jam a bit of cardboard into the base of your £3000 pound telescope and it will sort it out". Etc.

Bring it on!

m

Hi

If you aren't bothered about the circles that the Telrad and Rigel give you, and are happy with a red dot, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Skysurfer V. They really are excellent and I have two.

Richard

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hi Richie P,

Thanks for your comment  -  It begs a question which i've been thinking on:   How easy/difficult do you want astronomy to be?

One of the reasons I chose a dob is because I want to learn the night sky for myself. My dad's got a meade go-to type scope (hardly ever used, annoyingly) but he hasn't got a clue what he's looking at - he just types codes into the control pad. That's fair enough if it's what you're into, but I want astronomy to be a bit more of a learning curve than that, else I might as well just watch the flipping telly!

On that note, I think, having being doing my research about the Rigel/Telrad rings, and taken on bored all the FANTASTICALLY BRILLIANT AND HELPFUL COMMENTS ON THIS FORUM (sorry for shouting), I'm more inclined towards red dot.

I want to have to work a bit.  Does that make sense or am i being shortsighted?

M

I've had a Telrad for years - and never got on with it :)  It usually sits on top of the 12" Newt as an ornament. I don't know if it's because I wear eyeglasses or what, but I just can't see through the thing. If I stand away I can see the target I'm looking for, put my face next to the scope peering through the Telrad I just can't see it. I much prefer an optical device like a finder. [Caveat] my Rigel QuickFinder mounted on Miyauchi binos is another matter, I can locate targets quite well using it.

ChrisH

I've had a Telrad for years - and never got on with it :)  It usually sits on top of the 12" Newt as an ornament. I don't know if it's because I wear eyeglasses or what, but I just can't see through the thing. If I stand away I can see the target I'm looking for, put my face next to the scope peering through the Telrad I just can't see it. I much prefer an optical device like a finder. [Caveat] my Rigel QuickFinder mounted on Miyauchi binos is another matter, I can locate targets quite well using it.

ChrisH

Yes, quite agree.  Maybe RDFs are just not for me in any form and I should stick to magnifying finders.  I wonder if a low-mag finder would help with my 8SE.

I've owned both Telrad's and a Baader Skysurfer V.  The Telrad's bullseye reticle is useful, however I owned two in succession and both failed after a number of years.  The Baader is built like a tank and has never accumulated dew (unlike the Telrad, which is a dew magnet).  I never got the Telrad thing - to me it's just an over-priced lump of cheap and ugly plastic.

Another point in favour of the Telrad and the Rigel is that they can be dimmed right down. I find the reticules in the multi reticule finders that I've used rather bright even on their dimmest setting.

As Rik says though, there is no right or wrong way, find what suits you, optical, RDF, MRF or a combination. The one approach that did not work for me was trying to use a really lower power, wide field eyepiece as a finder in a Megrez 90 refractor. Even 12.5x (50mm eyepiece) showed just too little sky for finding purposes.

Hi Richie P,

Thanks for your comment - It begs a question which i've been thinking on: How easy/difficult do you want astronomy to be?

One of the reasons I chose a dob is because I want to learn the night sky for myself. My dad's got a meade go-to type scope (hardly ever used, annoyingly) but he hasn't got a clue what he's looking at - he just types codes into the control pad. That's fair enough if it's what you're into, but I want astronomy to be a bit more of a learning curve than that, else I might as well just watch the flipping telly!

On that note, I think, having being doing my research about the Rigel/Telrad rings, and taken on bored all the FANTASTICALLY BRILLIANT AND HELPFUL COMMENTS ON THIS FORUM (sorry for shouting), I'm more inclined towards red dot.

I want to have to work a bit. Does that make sense or am i being shortsighted?

M

I totally agree. For me the excitement is in the effort of finding things by myself (especially if the DSO isnt that spectacular visually), and being able to find them again and again.

I once heard someone described as a "human goto" for their effortless finding of objects. I would love to be like him!

Richard

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Archived