NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EP's for "fast" dob

Am still stuck in the skyliner 200p v 250px dilema that many of you kind peeps have helped me with but am now hoping for some advice on EP's. 

I will innevitably want to buy some better EPs down the line but with the knowledge that the faster f/4.7 scope will be less forgiving on EPs I dont want to commit to buy the 250px only to find that I'll struggle later on to find the cash to splash on a suitable EP.

From what i've read the Televue EPs are tested down to f/4 but are fairly expensive on my budget.

Have read good things about the Explore Scientific EPs which would be more manageable especially if as people have said in various places online they work out cheaper from USA even taking into account shipping and taxes. 

I guess what i'm really asking is, is there an EP out there that doesnt make me wince when i see the price but doesnt scrimp on quality?

The ES eyepieces are still quite expensive compared with many others.  However, the Tele Vue plossl's are more reasonably-priced, especially second hand.  You'll just have a bit narrower field of view.

James

The 68 degree MaxVisions may be interesting. They are said to be a manufacturer's generic rebranding of a cancelled order of Meade EPs which a few years ago would have cost three or four times what they're asking. They are delivered from ES in Germany (who say they have limited quantities left).

i agree with mr wilkinson i have a 14" f4.5 dob and i have a 28mm Maxvision and i love it i also have a 18MM ES 82deg both perform really well on edge correction for the price. ive had the 150,200,250 & 350 dobs and i must say although i love my 350 the 250 was super convenient. im actually looking at picking up 2nd hand one just have to wait for one to come up on ABD thats not to far to travel.  the 350 isnt grab and go were as the 250 was easy to grab for those half hour cloud dodging sessions. i would recommend getting the BST (starguider) EPs i had a full set of these when i had my 200 and gave me some fantastic views and at £50 and EP they are a vast improvement over the stock EP and will last you untill your ready to start buying |GREEN or the ES 82's which are so close to the TV's for the price.  HTH

Dan

If you can afford the 250 and think the weight/portability is fine go for it. It is the same length OTA anyway, I find it very easy to carry around.  While it is true that this scope is harder one eyepieces. If you have interest in DSO observing aperture is still king. The 10 inch does have that extra bit of light gathering power. It is not as if the views seriously break down even in a BST starguider at 50 pounds, the views are still very pleasing.  Especially when starting out you may not evem notice a problem at all and wonder what the fuss is all about. 

In the end of the day a high quality very costly eyepiece will tidy  up the view a bit over a medium price one, a bigger scope can show you new things and objects that a smaller one will not and give more resolution.  

For medium amount of money,  say 50 - 100 pounds per eyepiece and not too wide a FOV  you can get a lot of that high quality view anyway. 

HTH :) 

Thank you all. You've given me plenty of food for thought. At least I now know I wont have to spend an absolute fortune on EPs. Would a coma corrector be of benefit for the dob?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I have a 24mm 68* MV for my 10" F5 Dob and it is an excellent EP.

The ES eps are really excellent too. Only tonight, I have decided to sell a TV Nagler 11mm as I cannot for the life of me see a difference worth keeping it above my ES 11mm 82*. Especially as I find the ES easier to use above the TV. I find the Nagler a bit fussy with eye placement.

The ES EPs are great EPs

Barry

barry how is the 11mm ES? i have the 18mm and it lives in the draw tube

Daniel

I always liked it, but hankered after a Nagler at that focal length. Got a used 11mm Nagler and was delighted. Just cannot see much of a difference between the two, and I have tried to convince myself the Nagler is better, but I can't. The reason I'm selling it is because the eye placement with the Nagler is finicky and the ES is easier to use, without any perceptible deterioration of views.

I'm cured of EP envy at the focal length anyway.

Can recommend it

Barry

Would a coma corrector be of benefit for the dob?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Probably at the longer FL EPs. I got one for a F5 and a F4.5 and there is a difference. I find though, that I only use it occasionally. Don't know why, but I just don't find the coma too objectionable. Thing is as well, with the CC and some of my ES 100* EPs, it's like a baseball bat sticking out of the side of the Dob!!

post-11876-139107064576_thumb.jpg

Barry

Daniel

I always liked it, but hankered after a Nagler at that focal length. Got a used 11mm Nagler and was delighted. Just cannot see much of a difference between the two, and I have tried to convince myself the Nagler is better, but I can't. The reason I'm selling it is because the eye placement with the Nagler is finicky and the ES is easier to use, without any perceptible deterioration of views.

I'm cured of EP envy at the focal length anyway.

Can recommend it

Barry

i had the same when i compared the 16mm nagler to the 18mm ES although you could just see were the nagler was better on off axis performance the 18MM ES views were full of contrast so i sold off the 16mm Nagler.

Archived