NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Image stabalized 'bins

baggywrinkle

I use Canon 15x50is binos and love them. The stabilization works very well at damping down the high frequency jitters and I think this allows you to see more than similar unstabilsed binos.

The optics are very good, nice and sharp, although I do think stars are slightly tighter when they are mounted on a tripod without the stabilization running.

Overall, they are a great way to have a quick observing session, or to take somewhere dark if you don't have a scope. I've seen plenty with my binos at very dark sites.

Stu

Don't own IS binos, but have looked through 2 different Canon IS models. I'm told they eat batteries, maybe rechargeables a good option.

Of course if the batteries die you can still use the bins, but no IS.

You can mount regular bins on a tripod for a stable view, but the IS bins give far greater freedom of movement, a lot easier to view overhead, zero set up time.

Regards, Ed.

I've tried quite a few IS Canons and do like them. However, a lot depends on the magnification you'd like to have. If it is low, in search of a wide field, then the other option is to buy more expensive glass in conventional bins and this was my own choice. I went for second hand Leica 8x42 and I love them. However, if you'd like more magnification then the IS advantage kicks in. Personally I like the wide field of 8x viewing. I wouldn't mind a pair of 15x50is though, if anyone's buying! I think I'd use the higher power more for birding than for astronomy.

Olly

My 15x50 are fantastic albeit expensive. Excellent optics and without needing a tripod. I take them in my laptop bag when I go away with work / family. I do sometimes mount them on a homemade pgram mount at home so I can refer to notes or star charts.

Well worth it, I've had mine for years and still frequently use them.

Mark

I have the  Canon 10x30's and they are great.  More aperture would be nice but that does push the price up.  I use them both for terrestrial and astro use and the IS really does help especially if you have been using them for a while to see a target.

Baggywrinkle - give me a PM when you get to Ely and we can meet up and you can have a look through them.

Cheers John 

I have the Canon 18x50IS bino's and they're fantastic. Have allowed me to see detail in the rings of Saturn handheld, which for binoculars is no mean feat.

Interestingly, there are some Zeiss 20x60 image stabilised bins for sale on Astromart at the moment. I imagine these would be spectacular... Can't see myself dropping US$4900 on binoculars any time soon though!

I have the Canon IS 15x50's and they are brilliant for astronomy - they perform much better than the 50mm aperture would suggest and relatively faint stars which would normally wash away with the slightest shake stay visible thanks to the stabilization.  The are rather heavy for continuous hand holding so many owners including myself use a Konig neck tripod (£12.00 approx.) which also further improves the stability.   They do have a little chromatic aberration so for daytime/birding  use I would probably prefer the 10x42L (which is virtually CA free) or one of the smaller/lighter models.   Best thing about them is you can be out and observing in no time at all and even better, at the end of the session be back indoors/in bed without having to break down/dry off/put away all that big and heavy 'scope equipment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived