SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light tonight :)

Moox

After the trial of my new scope being delivered with a smashed up base/mount, like FedEx were using it as a battering ram on something, and having to send it all back for another one as the neighbour saw the delivery driver throw the scope box out of his van, I finally got to use my new scope in anger and WOW!

Coming out of a karate class tonight to clear skies I rushed home and hurriedly carried the scope outside. Sod cool down time, I'm viewing now! In goes the EP, line up scope by eye as the finder wasn't attached, eye to EP and boom! Jupiter, 4 moons, 2 bands, colours, hooked! "Quick kids come look at this!" 5 year old and 9 year old amazed, even SWMBO thought it "quite good" - I'll work on her.

Kids go in for warmth, plus I think there was some cartoon they wanted to watch, and they leave me to it. Swap the EP for the 8mm BST with x2 Barlow and Jupiter is now Double Wow! Amazed by how much I can see considering the scope hasn't cooled properly and I haven't had anywhere near enough time to get my night vision on.

Change of target time, M45. Find it with a bit of faffing in the 25mm EP and there they all are shining bright, amazing. Go to change EP and WTF? Who stole the stars? In my excitement hadn't noticed the clouds rolling in. Ho hum. Jupiter still just in the clear so back we go and I snatch a few more precious minutes until it too disappears in the clouds.

Well it was short but my word it was sweet. So much better, unsurprisingly, from my views as a kid down my Tasco refractor, and I can't wait for the next clear night. Might have to invest in some fingerless gloves though...

Hey Moox,

I've recently got the same scope as you and have just bought an Ostara 3X Barlow.

the 25mm EP is ok with the barlow but the 10mm EP supplied with the scope is rubbish and refuses to get a good focus. Soft is not the word!

Would you recommend the 8mm BST as a good EP for the 200p and have you tried your 10mm with the barlow?

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Terry.

To tell you the truth I didn't try the 10mm. As I heard it was junk I bought the 8mm at the same time as the scope and went straight to this. Worked a treat and I'd recommend it.

Nice report and enjoy, great scope  :smiley:  There is only negative thing to be said about this hobby I find, the urge to spend on extras. I never really had that with any other hobbies in the same way. I managed to keep it fairly sensible so far ( I think ), but to me now any spare coins floating around look like oculars :grin:

Cheers for all the kind words. Had cracking observing last night, seeing M31, M42, M45, NGC884 and 869 double cluster in Perseus through the clouds. And yes AlexB67, I've already ordered a Telrad and another EP...

I bet ya, if the driver knew you were in doing karate classes he wouldn't be throwing boxes around like that,,,

they don't give a dam whats inside as long as its dropped over and on to next delivery to throw around,,

i still have to write up a first light report

clear sky's

Greg

Ha you're right Greg, now normally I wouldn't say karate should be used for violence, and I certainly wouldn't teach my students this, but if I'd seen him throwing my scope around it would be him seeing stars! :)

Your very lucky to get clear skies.

Not seen a glimmer of anything for weeks now, and the forecast looks unchanged for next few days. Every time there's a hope during the day that things will clear, in rolls the cloud and down comes the rain.

I would just like at least a few seeing days before the nights draw out, and the midges start swarming.

Well I think since the scope came there has been 2 one hour slots between the clouds. Reminds me of 2 years ago when I bought a soft top car and then we had the wettest summer on record...

Archived