Telrad replacement

I think I'm kind of jinxed when it comes to Telrads...my second one is being funny these days and never holds alignment for more than a day. Strange! Let alone that blackouts regardless of how new the batteries are.

I'll be looking for an alternative soon, but don't feel comfortable going yet for another telrad. And since I'm doing it anyway...I'd prefer to go for something lighter to stick on the Dob. I'm aware of the Rigel ones, but can't justify the price for what it is. However, I came across this one on Ebay, but I not sure how efficient it is.

I'd use my Baader Skysurfer V RDF, but unfortunately there's only one shoe on the Dob that I'm using for the optical finder.

Looks kind of flimsy....but isn't the Telrad as well :D ?!

$T2eC16d,%21ygE9s7HKKrUBR5%28pv7LPQ~~60_

image.png

Hi, I think I know what you mean about the Rigel when you say "but can't justify the price for what it is" as when I first got mine thought it looked very cheap and plasticky. However it seems to be stronger and more resilient than it looks and certainly works well and holds its adjustment well enough.

Regarding the "one shoe" problem - my 130EQ didn't have a shoe at all until I fitted one. Took the primary out and drilled it with the tube vertical so swarf didn't touch the secondary and could check the tube was clean. Shoe quickly bolted in - whole job done and collimation checked inside an hour. Preparation the key. I've heard of a shoe being glued or fitted with double sided tape (as per Rigel)  too.

I know you have had problems with the Telrad but I would be tempted to try and borrow one from someone local as plenty of us get on fine with them. I used mine for some time and struggled when near the zenith and invested in a 4" riser and it's now a completely different animal.

Hope you get it sorted, good luck.

I know you have had problems with the Telrad but I would be tempted to try and borrow one from someone local as plenty of us get on fine with them. I used mine for some time and struggled when near the zenith and invested in a 4" riser and it's now a completely different animal.

Hope you get it sorted, good luck.

I've got mine on a 2" riser and for what it does, it's absolutely fine...it's been doing my head in recently though. I have doubts that my little daughter was playing with it when I left on the couch the other day...if she could talk I'd ask her, but I'm afraid she can barely do that :D

I'll have a fiddle again tonight and see if I can salvage it.

My telrad looks cheap and nasty but it has worked fine. Silly price for what they are but cant complain, it does the job. Still keep going to the straight through finder tho.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

This particular one has been discussed at length here only very recently (can't find/link the thread right now) and having read the discussion I have decided to buy Rigel instead.

The only problem I have with Rigel is the fact that you can't easily take it apart (it seems to be permanently glued together).

Whereas Telrad can be easily taken apart.

It did not the get greatest reviews from what I recall, I thought about it too but settled for the rigel and I adore it, the rigel comes in a close third after my missus and my cat  :smiley:

Sky's the limit does that KSON cheaply.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KSON-Electronic-Reflex-Circular-Finder-Red-Dot-Finder-Scope-/160984609976?refid=store

Have a read of this though

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/9finders.pdf

My Telrad has been fine for more than a couple of years, same set of batteries from new all it gets is a wipe from time to time with a micro cloth to get the grim off and a blast with the hairdryer to clear the dew that's formed under its dew shield.....

In case it's any interest, here is a useful review of 9 illuminated reticule / red dot finders which includes the Telrad, the Rigel and the one you linked to at the start of this thread:

I currently use a Rigel on my dob alongside a 9x50 RACI optical finder, the Vixen RDF in the review on my Vixen and a generic multi-reticule finder on my ED120 refractor. I have owned a Telrad in the past as well.

They all have their little quirks but, on balance, the Telrad and the Rigel are the best at what they do, in my opinion.

I'd not describe any of them as truly child proof though  :rolleyes2:

In case it's any interest, here is a useful review of 9 illuminated reticule / red dot finders which includes the Telrad, the Rigel and the one you linked to at the start of this thread:

I currently use a Rigel on my dob alongside a 9x50 RACI optical finder, the Vixen RDF in the review on my Vixen and a generic multi-reticule finder on my ED120 refractor. I have owned a Telrad in the past as well.

They all have their little quirks but, on balance, the Telrad and the Rigel are the best at what they do, in my opinion.

I'd not describe any of them as truly child proof though  :rolleyes2:

Great report. Thanks, John.

Archived