Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading from the kit SW eyepieces

Hi,

So I know this get's discussed a lot, but I'm still a bit unsure.

I've been using the kit 10mm and 25mm Skywatcher Plossl's to date (that came with my 130P) with the 130P and now also the 200P

I think they were quite good enough for the 130P, but I think the 200 seems to reveal their short comings. In any case I think now might be the time for an upgrade, they've served an excellent purpose to get me started.

To replace the 25mm for the 130 which is 650/25 = 26x on the 200 I'm thinking of a 32mm (1000/32 being 31.25). On this my question is really, is a 1.25" fine or would it be worth spending more on a 2"

Contenders seem to be the BST or SW Panaview possibly. Can anyone comment on these, probably looking for best value for money solution below £100 and closer to £65 or less would be better.

As for the 10mm. Well I have a 7mm that I got for smaller planetary nebula and planets, the 7mm Celestron x-cel LX - I'm happy with that. I'm wondering if something more like a 12mm or 14/15mm would be a good replacement on the 200 - here, either a BST (good VFM) or another Celestron might do the trick.

I'm unclear on when 2" eyepieces become important, at what focal length, above 32mm and what field/eye relieve I'm trading off. From the makes BST and skywatcher are particular models best for the wide 32 and the narrower ~12mm ish eyepieces and should I look also at other makes. BSTs seem to float around on ebay for £50 and I'd be comfortable getting a couple of these if they were any good.

Many thanks!

Well the BST's are generally good so a bit of a safe option.

The Celestron X-Cels are said to perfom almost exactly the same.

Will say I tend to get a set rather then 2 of one set, 2 of another and so on - generally means they are parfocal (ish) so less refocusing.

The BST's are £49, the X-Cels £65, the X-Cels have the slight advantage of a 5mm, 7mm, 9mm then 12mm at the low end. The BST's come in 5mm, 8mm the 12mm.

There are now BST Wide Angles (narrower the the Starguiders?), which have a reasonable selection of focal lengths, just no idea of how well they perfoms.

There is another BST eyepiece out that is 70 degrees but not seen it on sale here, it may be somewhere just no idea where.

I think there is a line called Lacetera sold by 365Astronomy.

At under the £100 a piece mark is the TV plossl, they stop at 8mm however.

You could check Rother Valley and Green Witch, they used to sell Antares W70 eyepieces. Quite good but never caught on here.

To me it comes down to: do you want 5mm, 7mm, 9mm (X-Cel) at the lower end or 5mm 8mm (BST).

Apologies I forgot the Vixen plossls, around £35-40 and also have a good reputation, I think like the TV's they go down to 8mm. Even if they had a 5mm it is likly to be too short anyway.

Hi,

To replace the 25mm for the 130 which is 650/25 = 26x on the 200 I'm thinking of a 32mm (1000/32 being 31.25). On this my question is really, is a 1.25" fine or would it be worth spending more on a 2"

Contenders seem to be the BST or SW Panaview possibly. Can anyone comment on these, probably looking for best value for money solution below £100 and closer to £65 or less would be better.

Many thanks!

Buy BST's in pairs from Alan at Skies_unlimited, so that you can trial them side-by-side, returning the ones you don't like (if that's possible - I like all my lenses?) the 8mm & 18mm were my first choices.
The 32mm Panaview from FLO at £79 can be bought later, but is a great low power wide view lens.
Its really the 10mm SW lens that requires changing. Your 25mm should still be ok, but you may have problems seeing all of M31 or the Plaeides The EP's supplied with my 200P were modified kellner achromatic EP's. The BST's have a 60° AFOV and good eye relief. Didn't realise they gave Plossl`' away with the 130P?

thanks! Maybe the kit lenses are not Plossl's - I thought all simple EPs were likely that type, I'm probably completely wrong here!

So as I have a 7mm already, maybe a 12-18mm would be good. There seem to be different types of BST, some with 58 field, is it the starguider range I should be looking at?

For the wide EP, a 32mm skywatcher Panaview would be a good improvement over the kit EP? Would it matter it's 1.25" rather than 2"

I'd not considered getting the same type would mean the focusing would be the same when switching, that's a nice feature. However since I need a really wide and a narrow field then perhaps it's unlikely I can get them from the same make and range.

Are there any BST ranges I should avoid, some on ebay are <£50 but I don't want to get the wrong model because of the price temptation.

Hi LouisJB, I don't think you can go wrong with the BST Explorers/StarGuiders, they are the 'safe' bet as identified above.  However, in addidtion I would say the SW PanaView 32mm is a good buy and good value for money for its performance, great for DSO's and starfields, this was my very first purchase and still my most used ep.

thanks! Maybe the kit lenses are not Plossl's - I thought all simple EPs were likely that type, I'm probably completely wrong here!

So as I have a 7mm already, maybe a 12-18mm would be good. There seem to be different types of BST, some with 58 field, is it the starguider range I should be looking at?

For the wide EP, a 32mm skywatcher Panaview would be a good improvement over the kit EP? Would it matter it's 1.25" rather than 2"

I'd not considered getting the same type would mean the focusing would be the same when switching, that's a nice feature. However since I need a really wide and a narrow field then perhaps it's unlikely I can get them from the same make and range.

Are there any BST ranges I should avoid, some on ebay are <£50 but I don't want to get the wrong model because of the price temptation.

The BST's on Ebay are the only ones available and the real McCoy

thanks everyone, that's excellent. I think I'll be making some purchases shortly :)

I've not seen clear sky for a while but when it re-appears I'd like to be ready to get straight out there. My last observing session with the kit lenses I was really wow-d by M42 and the visible nebulosity. Even though I've imaged it, it's really nice to see it 'in person' so to speak. That was with the 25mm kit EP. Can't wait to try again with a nicer wide EP and maybe try the UHC on it too.

What's the difference between BST Starguider and Explorer, is there one I should get over the other?

As for 32mm, so a 2" panaview (are all Panaviews 2"?) sounds like a sound bet then too.

Excellent :D Just need to decide on the narrowed EP, maybe a 12mm would be good, making a 6mm with a barlow and so not doubling on my existing 7mm.

After searching around as far as I can tell the BST Explorers and Starguiders are the same, it's just rebranding - please correct me if wrong.

So shopping list is 12mm BST Starguider and 32mm SW Panaview - nice. Won't break the bank either.

Just to check though, on the wide EPs, is the 38mm worth considering or stick with the 32mm?

thanks for all the advice

To replace the 25mm for the 130 which is 650/25 = 26x on the 200 I'm thinking of a 32mm (1000/32 being 31.25). On this my question is really, is a 1.25" fine or would it be worth spending more on a 2".

I'm unclear on when 2" eyepieces become important, at what focal length, above 32mm and what field/eye relieve I'm trading off.

Hi LouisJB.

The 1.25/2" transition is said to be 32mm for a Plossl eyepiece of AFOV 52 degrees. Any longer focal length Plossl would have its view restricted by the focus tube. But equally a shorter focal length wide angle lens would risk being restricted. There is probably a table somewhere on the forum which indicates the transition points for 68, 82 and 100 degrees lenses.

I'd thoroughly recommend the 8mm flatfield from Skys the limit. It works very well at f/5 . I wouldn't bother with a 32mm ep, preferring to search and view with a 25mm. There is too much light pollution here for a 32mm.

The 15mm SW Panorama gives an 82 degree space walk view , which is very impressive on clusters and nebulae.

The 6mm Antares Plossl is one of my sharpest on planets at a cheap price.

Given our weather I wouldn't be spending shed loads as seeing dominates your views,

Nick.

Thanks for the replies. I guess eyepiece focal lengths etc come down also to the focal length of the tube you're using with them.

Nick, do you us those with the 200 F6, what focal length is that?

Why is light pollution an issue with the 32mm? We're not free of LP here so don't want to get something I can't make good use off.

I have a 7mm that I'll probably keep, was thinking of things to replace the 25 and 10mm, I suppose I could get a decent 25mm if the 32 wouldn't be a good idea.

Archived