Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do I need to anything else?

Hi guys

Thanks for all your advice in my last thread. I have definitely opted for the skywatcher heritage 130p dob. As it's on offer in FLO I have decided to spend a bit of extra cash on a few accessories. I have picked a couple of bits, could I get your thoughts on them please and anything else I might need or if I even need these

I really want to get the best views of nebula as I possibly can and according to turn left at Orion, Nebula filters are required. Is this the right nebula filter for that scope?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/SW_UHC_filter-1.html

I thought this set would last for a while and stop me getting bored, plus it seems the best value for money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-94303-Telescope-Piece-Filter/dp/B00006RH5I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390036701&sr=1-2&keywords=Eye+piece+set

Thanks in advance

Thanks James,

I have Turn left At Orion which has been great, I've been using it alongside skysafari3 on iPad to learn where things are and trying to find them before I get my scope.

It's probably a dumb question but what's the right light torch used for?

Crittertrailx.........Hi. Its horrible when people just jump in and say  this, but the prices your just about to spend amount to the cost of an 8" Sky-Watcher Skyliner telescope, and I have`nt even read your other threads yet, I honestly dont think you'll make full use of a kit lens setup. And the 8" will give you far more than the 130P Dob will ever give you. Then in  all honesty you will only need 2 additional lenses a low powered at about 32mm and a high between 6 & 12 mm. You dont need filters, yet or ever? The  freeware program Stellarium is invaluable in the learning process. Download it.

That 130P is ok, but your outlay that your suggesting at present WILL GET YOU MUCH BETTER! FOR THE SAME PRICE. The supplied lenses with a skyliner, will be good to go. 

Sorry I should of said, I've gone for the heritage 130p as I have minimal storage and I will be transporting it quite a lot in a small car, so any bigger isn't really an option especially after I checked sizes of them. I just want to try and get the best views I possibly can with this scope

Crittertrailx............Thats ok. Remember, we only offer advice, Its your money i'm spending.  I have read a post of yours from 12th (.......I have a budget of around 150 but could possibly stretch to 200 if there was massive differences in the scopes........)   I'll  still stick to my  earlier thoughts.

The 130P is still regarded as an ok telescope for beginners alike.  Enjoy it.

I would pass on the eyepiece set until you've got used to the scope and then buy individual eyepieces in the focal lengths you want.

James

Definitely, I'd wait and see what you find you're lacking, then get quality specific EPs to suit that.

Red torch, more essential than a nice to have if you ask me, everything is a trip hazard in the dark and it's easy to lose things. You're lose dark-adapted eyes very quickly (almost instantly) if you put a normal light on so really this is an essential, must have - at least it's cheaper than most of the things needed for astronomy!

Archived