Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommended lunar eye pieces?

MahlerMoonMan

Hi folks

After having a read through 'discover the moon', by Lacroux & Legrand (a fine lunar guide it seems), I am wondering:

1) have I got a good scope for detailed lunar observing? And,

2) have I got off on the wrong foot with expanding my eye piece collection, from the lunar observation aspect?

Changing my ED80 f7.5 really is not an option financially, and as I've had it for nearly 10 years now and it's still very under-used, due to numerous circumstances that have arisen over the years .... I definitely can't go 'bigger and better' for a good few years to come yet ....

As for eye pieces ...? What do folks think? The book recommends plossls or orthoscopics as more appropriate for lunar study than more wide-field EPs .... Certainly I still have my Sirius plossls that came along with my ED80 .... They are not without fault but I have liked the views I have seen through them over the years .... Saturn, Jupiter, The Pleiades, etc, and the moon ... My BSTs 8mm & 12mm, MaxVision 24mm and Pentax 10mm are more recent acquisitions for me and I haven't enjoyed many views through them yet .... I know they are highly regarded EPs in almost every aspect ... And they boast 'wide-fields' .... Are they appropriate for more detailed lunar observing? Taking in to account they'll be used on an ED80 f7.5 ....?

Or should I consider expanding my plossl/orthoscopic EP collection to really view the moon and/or planets the best that my scope will permit? Adding a couple of good quality EPs later in the year is far more doable for me than getting a new/improved scope! As much as I'd like a top of the range 5-6" frac!!! :D

Couldn't make up my mind wether this post should go in general or lunar observing, or here! Please feel free to move me! :)

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks :D

Donaldo

although I have a good set, I have found it cheaper to buy a further scope than further eyepieces.

there's no real right or wrong, on this. all eyepieces pretty much will provide good images of the moon. personally though I don't like complex eyepieces on the moon, much preferring plossls and orthos. many though prefer wide fields.

your scope will have low resolution but good contrast and should provide decent views but there will be some chromatic aberration. that said, some eyepieces produce this too.

you seem to have a decent mix of eyepieces currently. I'd just enjoy them with the scope you have.

I agree with the other posters. You have all thats necessary to squeeze the most you can from the ED80. Your eyepieces will work pretty well with larger aperture scopes too so maybe now is the time to step up.

I'd keep the ED80 if you can though.

The 127mm Mak is a good suggestion as a step up but I'd also suggest thinking about a 6" F/8 newtonian such as the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P dobsonian. They do very well on the moon and planets for their cost.

Thanks guys, I've appreciated the encouragement generally to enjoy the moon through the gear I've currently got .... And I've enjoyed the James Bond-erisms too thanks :D

I'll see how I get on with my ED80. Optically I know it's decent, and I've got a few quality EPs too ... But I've always, and still do, struggle with the mechanical German EQ mount ... I don't know if it needs lubricating/greasing at all? It's always tough to move from object to object, particularly when it's very cold! The hassles I've had with it have put me off observing on many occasions!! Really gets to me when I think about how much my scope & EPs could be showing me n many a night!!!

Anyway, I digress! Apologies for going off the thread! Whether it's lunar, planetary or deep sky, my ED80, German EQ and all it's hassles (I've attached a clock drive to my RA axis, and I've got no slow motion control! Is that normal?!) ... That's my lot until my 'bank manager' (wife!) says otherwise ..... I may still 'upgrade' my Sirius plossls yet, l'll see how I get on in the course of time ...

Kind regards,

Donaldo

Lunar observing is I find never easy to comment on.

Simply what scale on the moon are you observing. The structures are fairly large and your scope should be fine, however locating that small crater made by a micro-meteorite is going to take some good equipment. In effect not knowing your expectations/requirements is a factor.

The ED should go with the 6mm easily, it would only be 100x, I would try the 8mm BST and barlow for 150x, both being good I would expect the combination to be usable. The scope has good glass and at f/7.5 I would espect it to handle 150x without much problem. Depending of course on the combination of scope/barlow/eyepiece.

I do wish that BST Explorer/Skyguiders came in a 4mm, 5mm and 6mm eyepiece.

If the 8mm and barlow are good, then arises the question of a 3.5mm. although that could be at the limit.

Happy-Kat

That probably would be a very sensible option to consider ....  And I have very occasionally thought about doing just that certainly .....  But at the moment part of me, the INSANE part of me probably, doesn't want this chunk of metal to get the better of me.  So far it has, definitely.  But despite the difficulties that I have found with my mount I am determined to one day master it!!! :D  When that day finally, gloriously, arrives I can then have the pleasure of deciding if I'll keep with it, or upgrade ....  I just don't want to splash-out hundreds on a fancy mount just now when, probably, with a bit more determination and application on my part, and perhaps with a bit of help from one or two contacts I have up here also, I really should be able to make this mount work as it should ....  In a nut-shell, I wish to master the traditional equatorial before I feel I could then consider upgrading to anything 'go-to' style ....  But this is definitely still a bit of a dilemma for me ....  Probably more-so than 'should I buy better EPs for lunar observing?!' LOL :D 

I hope some of that makes some sense?! 

Donaldo

Archived