NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Windows XP Processing Software

all-on-black

So I have the unfortunate problem that I have XP on both my desktop PC and my laptop.

This means that I can't use new versions of Photoshop, apart from Elements, which i've trialled and don't get on with it. There just isn't enough built into it for astro work.

So is it possible to download older versions of Photoshop, that run on XP?

XP would probably limit you to CS4 or CS5... Sometimes cheap "copies" of these appear on amazon (they act as an online shop for other vendors when you see "Facilitated by Amazon" or auctions sites but they are neaarly always pirated copies of the software...

While not suggesting you mean to get anything other than a "legal" copy of the older software you have asked about downloads so bfore anyone suggest links to torents etc.. and for the benefits of newer members who may not have taken onboard the contents of the Code of Coduct that they agree to when they join the forum...

Here's the relevant section...

Pirated Materials, Cracks, Keys, and Key-Generators
Stargazers Lounge relies heavily on software to accomplish certain tasks – star maps, observing reports, imaging and so on. This software is often created by individuals (and released by them under a licence) who should expect the terms of their licence to be adhered to, including receiving fair payment for their work if they so choose..

For the purposes of Stargazers Lounge, the following definitions apply:
• “Piracy” is the illegal copying and/or distribution of copyrighted content including, but not limited to, games, software, music, movies, pictures, ROMs, abandon-ware, and leaked software
• “Cracks” are programs that disable copy-protection technology
• A “Key” is a combination of numbers and letters that is required for software installation
• “Key-Generators” are programs that generate valid Keys

You may not encourage, post in support of, link to, or discuss activities, methods, and/or techniques involving piracy, cracks, keys and key-generators. In addition, the following are grounds for moderator action on your post and/or account:
• Seeking help to create any of the above
• Admitting to possess pirated materials, cracks, keys and key-generators
• Admitting to distribute pirated materials, cracks, keys and key-generators
• Uploading any such files to Stargazers Lounge sites
Generally breaking this rule will result in an instant permanent ban. However a “first-offence” warning may be issued at the discretion of the Administration Team.

Peter...

Crikey! Well, no, I wasn't after a link to a non-legitimate version of Photoshop. But thank you for your provided information.

So basically the answer is no then, it's not possible to get hold of an older version? Which means i'm now stuck.

How can I process my images effectively, with software that is good for astro use? Things like gradient removal are important because of the crazy light pollution around me (including my neighbours kitchen light which is on ALL the time!).

I had to upgrade to Win7 to use Photoshop CC..  But have a two machine license for PS CC and LR5 for less than a tenner a month under the Photoshop for Photographers Scheme...

Have you tried GIMP...  and is there a 16 bit release of it? I will go and check...

looks like you should be fine if your running XP at SP3

http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00422-16-bit-goat-invasion-ready

http://www.gimpusers.com/downloads

Peter...

Ive tried gimp but just dont get on with it.

I also tried updating to windows 7 but apparently my pc wont run with it.. unless im missing something!

Elements, it just feels like its designed for complete newbies because everything is automated and i cant run add-ons with it like gradient exterminator. All the tutorials on youtube are on photoshop so i cant follow them easily.

I guess without a new desktop pc im stuck for now then?

If you have tried the alternatives it looks like it... :(

I guess the OS update may fail because of "driver" issues with older hardware and as you say the tutorials tend to be centred around one of the many versions of photoshop...

The only other cheap commercial alternative I can think of is CorelPhotopaint which can use some of the PS plugins and filters...

Peter....

you can stretch images in elements, but things like layering, and plugins arent possible. removing gradients are a big thing for me due to light pollution, but maybe something i'll have to live with or get myself a newer pc. more monies!!

Stretching an image in 8 bits per channel is stretching it, I'd say ;) After all, they come out of the camera with 16 bits per channel (or 14 if it's a DSLR), and just using 8 bits over the entire range is 1/256th of the resolution.

/per

I use XP for all my processing. Many, many years ago I bought a copy of PS v7. That had pretty much everything I ever needed for image processing. Some time later I purchased an upgrade to CS2 and so far I've not found any reason to upgrade the box (well, it's not a box any more, but a virtual instance) running XP, nor the version of PS.

There are sources of legal copies of Photoshop available - and at reasonable prices, too. However if you only want to do a spot of image processing, you can pop into your time machine, go back to Jan 8 2014 and head to the GAOTD site and slurp down a free copy of Zoner Photo Studio 15 PRO which was the freebie on that day only (Giveaway of the day stipulates that you can only get the software for free on the day it's made available). I'm told that this package can (as opposed to the non-Pro version) run Photoshop plugins.

Alternatively, you can wait on the offchance that a version of Zoner will be made available again in a few months time - not guaranteed or look at some of the other very capable free image editing tools.

BTW: There is also a trialware version and versions you can buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Never could work out why software companies don't sell older versions of their own software. Even if they offered it with no support, I dare say there are many people that would happily buy it to run on older hardware that isn't up to running the latest versions or the newer ones have many features that people won't need or use.

Photoshop cs2 is free to download from adobe.

Provide you have a valid license for it....

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated …

You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930>.

Never could work out why software companies don't sell older versions of their own software. Even if they offered it with no support, I dare say there are many people that would happily buy it to run on older hardware that isn't up to running the latest versions or the newer ones have many features that people won't need or use.

If they sold the older software a bit cheaper, they know that lots of people will just get the older version. Even if it's the same price, they'll feel it would hurt their marketing efforts to get existing users to upgrade, and they may want to put more sophisticated anti-piracy features in the newer versions.

Windows XP itself will no longer be supported by Microsoft after April, it's no surprise that third-party software has stopped supporting it.

And as regards Adobe, IIRC they were planning on moving completely to subscription pricing, so customers can no longer buy once and have it for good, now they must keep on paying. I expect most of the big-name developers will move to such models in the next few years, making regular retail software a thing of the past. They'll love it, they can keep getting their regular revenue stream and don't even need to bother developing new features to attract upgrades any more, instead having the customers over a barrel with the vendor lock-in; stop paying, and you can't open all the work you've done any more.

/disillusionedrant

Archived