Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

West Sussex Observing Group - social meet up

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a field in Cowfold but it's probably been flooded out (not heard from Paul in a while...).

Thing is weve not actually sat and gathered info and thoughts on a location - weve met twice in a pub and twice in a field. It would be great if we had an indoor location where we could meet to discuss the hows and whys then sort an outdoor location. I'd love to learn the techniques before rushing out in the dark because its nigh on impossible to "learn by red torch light".

Then sort a couple or so locations within easy reach.

Frank

Hi Chris, I'm still going up there.

Just a change of equipment that I'm taking. Not taking the planetary scope, taking the ST80 instead to try and pin point some of the northern DSO stuff that will help for when I'm looking out the front of my flat.

So, still going to make an evening of it. :grin:  

Hi Chris, I'm still going up there.

Just a change of equipment that I'm taking. Not taking the planetary scope, taking the ST80 instead to try and pin point some of the northern DSO stuff that will help for when I'm looking out the front of my flat.

So, still going to make an evening of it. :grin:

I am bringing both scopes. You have nothing to loose bringing both as Jupiter may be visible.

We had a field in Cowfold but it's probably been flooded out (not heard from Paul in a while...).

Thing is weve not actually sat and gathered info and thoughts on a location - weve met twice in a pub and twice in a field. It would be great if we had an indoor location where we could meet to discuss the hows and whys then sort an outdoor location. I'd love to learn the techniques before rushing out in the dark because its nigh on impossible to "learn by red torch light".

Then sort a couple or so locations within easy reach.

Frank

Come on Frank. Tonight is as much about comparing notes and eating biscuits as taking pictures.

Besides this is about learning off eachother, and my torch has white light too :)

Well I still up for coming out with my dob. Isn't there anywhere else we could meet that's tried and tested maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm well keen to have a look through that dob :)

I am leaving now, bringing my camping kettle coffee and biscuits. I will see whomever makes it out there.

It was good while it lasted, unfortunatley the clouds became bothersome and having to get up early I bailed. Was great to see Orions Nebula like I've never seen it before, Jupiter looked good too as did everything else with the naked eye!

Nice to meet you guys, glad to have my first Field Trip, hope next time I can stay longer and it stays clear!

Yeah it was nice to meet you guys. Had my first proper telescope trip and Thanks to you guys I have seen my first lot of galaxies and we attached chris' s laptop and cam to my dob and built up a pic of jupiter. Thanks for the coffee Chris it kept me warm for a bit lol. Glad to be home in the warm now tho. Thank you all, nice people!

Well done folks, Ive just come in from the garden, ice starting to form on the scope. Got a good number of runs of Jupiter using my new bah-mask. Was going to go for Mars too but too cold! Next time I'll be there. How was it for power - my laptop battery kept dying!

I was wearing a t shirt, two hoodies and a jacket, thermal socks and I was pretty cold still! His laptop was on the whole time and seemed to last out ok. Shame you couldn't come brad, would have been nice to meet you

Thanks to everyone. I had a good time.

Good knowledge sharing and fun to play with others toys.

My highlight was the dark sky. Naked eye objects were the Milkyway, Orion nebula and by 11:30 it was totally clear and most the lights in valley where off. We could (arguably) just make out two dim stars called m81 and m82.

Thanks to a manual goto with the dob this was confirmed. Although it did take us about 30min to actually find them in the dob.

I got a real kick out of manual pushto experience.

Thanks to everybody who made it out.

Kat, it was very dark most of the time, we used sky eye but not strapped to my dob, more for reference really but since being shown sky eye I've now downloaded it and am on the hunt for Velcro strap as we speak :) I learnt a few new things last night thanks to those guys, between them they have a fair bit of knowledge. Can't wait for my next outing!

Hi guys, was nice to meet you last night. Glad we helped you find your way around the night sky.

I now I didn't do much gazing myself with my ST80 but it was nice to mooch about and look through other peoples scopes. Next time, if we can guarantee an all clear night so we can watch saturn come up, I will bring the C8.

All in all, a very pleasant evening with pleasant company.

See you next time.

Nooo! I knew when I got home I could have seen Mars and maybe Saturn? But my Mrs and all the daughters had decided to watch a film and have a duvet eve in living room so all were far asleep when I came in, running my chances of taking my dob through to the garden ha ha

Archived