SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

West Sussex Observing Group - social meet up

Busy imaging mars through soup ... packing up

I was going to ask how you were going to do any imaging tonight... After all I'm not far from you and it's rubbish here.....

Still updating the dark library is well under way..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawkeye, Have you though of doing your darks in the fridge? I have built a library up in the fridge over night.

My fridge allows me to set the internal temperature between 0 and 7 degrees

I have 2 temperature sets 8C & 16C EXIF temperature (Fridge set at 0C & 7C)

ISO1600 (64 x Frames reduces to 1/8th Noise)

BIAS    - at 1/4000 

Darks  - at 180S and 300S

250 000 miles an hour or something I believe? Should have lined your scope up for it Chris :)

sent from within the darkest depths of my telescope

Don't joke I have seen people image this!

Not sure how you would track it, I am sure you would need a impressive mount!

Imagine trying to track it in the DOB! Lol.

So Just done my stacking and it came out all right, considering how rubbish the conditions where.

I could only see the Moon, Jupiter, Mars and 2 or 3 stars through the murky clouds. 

I find some times in these conditions you get less usable frames, but the ones you do get are good because the clouds act as a filter.

Anyway here goes

gallery_32740_3139_68417.png

Don't joke I have seen people image this!

Not sure how you would track it, I am sure you would need a impressive mount!

Imagine trying to track it in the DOB! Lol.

I'm pretty sure it is only going at a slow 17,000 mph. And again I'm not 100% but if you are using eqmod to control the mount you can use a custom tracking script. Well I hope you can as this is something I want to have a go at

So Just done my stacking and it came out all right, considering how rubbish the conditions where.

I could only see the Moon, Jupiter, Mars and 2 or 3 stars through the murky clouds.

I find some times in these conditions you get less usable frames, but the ones you do get are good because the clouds act as a filter.

Anyway here goes

gallery_32740_3139_68417.png

Looks good considering, I didn't even bother setting up in the end, as it was not very clear.

I'm pretty sure it is only going at a slow 17,000 mph. And again I'm not 100% but if you are using eqmod to control the mount you can use a custom tracking script. Well I hope you can as this is something I want to have a go at

This sounds like a great challenge. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi guys sorry I missed you - was on a date night with my misses.

Hope you had a good night, my date night is next Thursday. 

Weather better be bad, otherwise missus is going to be peeved! :)

Just been on YouTube and there are some good video's about it but it looks like you have to manually track it with the clutches released... Still worth a try though

Had a go at ISS tonight... Not easy at all... 12600 frames taken and maybe 1 or 2 that sort of look like it...

Looks like it needs a really fast frame rate camera... 30 frames per second didn't really do it.

Finally got time to get the scope out, gonna try some bog standard imaging this evening of Jupiter so will see how it goes, Polar Aligning the EQ2 & getting the motor just right is a pain though! will see how it goes #FingersCrossed

You can just make out the two arms :) and you did capture it.

Just been out and the Moon not yet clearing the neighbours house to see it and Mars even though had been outside half an hour could not resolve into a steady disc in any eyepeice 32,16 and 6 (which was pushing it). So not a great session.

Just a thought.... There was talk about getting some sort of meeting place organised (in the Cowfold area?)...

Is this still a possibility or has it died a death?

To be honest, I have no idea.

I'm close to 2 other counties, will travel a certain distant but there hasn't been must happening anywhere recently due to the weather we had been having.

But there is no excuses now as its getting better.

Just a thought.... There was talk about getting some sort of meeting place organised (in the Cowfold area?)...

Is this still a possibility or has it died a death?

Still possible and probable, just need to organize it.

Problem is getting people to commit as a hall costs money. If we meet in a field then all good.

Weather is nice, who is up for this weekend?

Ps nice pic, can see the solar panels. Good going!

Am away too going to dark Sheppey I hope. Been looking for a low power green laser for pointing out stars to people.

As for the meet ups and a place to hire out; am still up for this but the lack of support from this site (! Take note mods) in allowing us to create our own society page has made this very difficult to organise...plus the weather has not helped.

I'm able to set up our own website because without someway of indicating our posts are for the Horshamish Imagers then they get mixed up with all the others.

As to where to meet, a good idea would be to get a location of where everyone is so we can find the best neutral location even if it ends up as Cowfold. Then discuss how much willing to put into it, who will do what, structure of meet ups eg chat then observe or chat then observe following week etc.

I want our meet ups to allow us to share details of kit and How Tos - at the moment we are running into the field still without a shared knowledge of how to set up the basics or a common knowledge base.

Mods! Please allow us to create our own society forum so we can get going as a group!! Thanks

Frank

ok much more success in stacking images in DSS tonight than last night, still not a clue how to work this program effectively though so need to read up and do it properly. Ordered a Bahtinov Focus Mask as it's a bit difficult getting the focus bang on, more learning to be done yet!

Archived