Narrowband

West Sussex Observing Group - social meet up

Nooo - don't give up now Anthony! The weather has been exceptionally rubbish for all - I've not been out for ages - last time out I managed to get a few shots off then my cable release broke! The weather will be improving soon and the gardens drying out. Once we are in the start of spring, you are most welcome to come around to my place if you want a dark site; it faces north, east and a good slice of west. I've made a thread asking if people are interested in hiring a hall. There is one in Cowfold, and loads in Horsham. Maybe we can organise something where we meet at a hall once a month to talk about our kit, get ideas, talk about software, alignment etc etc. What do you think? You obviously have a passion for it to get into it in the first place but you're frustrated by location and not getting out. 

Another bug for me is that we don't have our own forum page - even if just a minor one - take note Mods!!! I could set up a free php based one where we can do the same as here but be more focussed. 

Once we have our basics down, you'll easily be able to jump to a location near you and set up and go. You've got some fab kit, I want to see it pushed to make images, we just need to get you out when the stupid weather calms down. 

Waddya think!

frank

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are all welcome tomjoin and come along to Worthing Skywatcher events too.

Anyone interested look the page up on Facebook or PM me for details.

We have a Jupiter obs evening on March 7th and we meet up regularly for obs evenings.

You are all welcome tomjoin and come along to Worthing Skywatcher events too.

Anyone interested look the page up on Facebook or PM me for details.

We have a Jupiter obs evening on March 7th and we meet up regularly for obs evenings.

Is this the official worthing one with the membership fee or the free one without, to quote the website, "the politics" ? :)

As part of National Astronomy week the Worthing Astronomers will be holding 2 free public observing events on March 7th and 8th.

Was just joking above, had a look at this and looks like it may be good fun.

http://www.worthingastronomers.org.uk/ or https://www.facebook.com/events/822864364407456/

We should co-ordinate and all go on the evening. (the met office will dictate which is best.)

Excellent news Anthony! :) Thanks for the offer Jon - if we can't get enough steam or if SGL won't give us our own social page, then it could be a good idea. I wanted to get a group going that was all practical, helping each other work out the kit, set up etc and not sit around discussing stuff in depth. If you do that, that's good. Where do you meet? (Saying that I should have a look at your site!)

It's supposed to be a good early morning tomorrow - 3~5am - so I'm going for a Mars and Saturn shot :)

frank

Hi Guys, I'm up for a meeting if you decide to, have van can travel with kit.

Hello,

We are all busy debating where and when we are going to meet, due to this awful weather. 

Currently we are a bit like a flash mob that meets in a ad-hoc basis. :)

Tonight is going to be lovely till about 10, so I am setting up to try get 2hrs of data on the Orion Nebula.

I had a extremely successful run last night from 3 through to daybreak and managed to get 2:30min of good data on M51.

The crescent Moon and Venus in conjunction was beautiful this morning, but I could not get a picture.

Anyhow, welcome to the lounge and our little group.

The way it works is that somebody in the group drums up interest in something and convinces others to participate.

Anybody can do this for any agenda that they feel others will want to do.

Speak again

This is the free one, Worthing Astronomers.

We will all be there at the Jupiter event on the 7th March.

You are all more than welcome to join us. No politics just good banter and astronomers doing what we love.

Is this the official worthing one with the membership fee or the free one without, to quote the website, "the politics" ? :)

As part of National Astronomy week the Worthing Astronomers will be holding 2 free public observing events on March 7th and 8th.

Was just joking above, had a look at this and looks like it may be good fun.

http://www.worthingastronomers.org.uk/ or https://www.facebook.com/events/822864364407456/

We should co-ordinate and all go on the evening. (the met office will dictate which is best.)

A pinch and a punch for the first of the month! the weatherman says Saturday night is clear all night! Whoop Whoop.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/haywards-heath-west-sussex#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1393632000

Is anybody interested in getting together?

Jupiter, Orion, M45 Peliades, M82 and the Supanova will be out early evening with no moon.

After 12:00, a very thin crescent moon and Venus, Mars will be up, followed by a early morning Saturn.

Other targets include (M31) Andromeda, M51 Whirlpool and some others :)

We could also discuss some basics around setup, aligning and taking pictures.

Anybody keen, any suggestions for locations?

Ooh I'm off to winchester tomorrow to go to a planetarium by the way, a valentines prezzy from the other half! Should be back in time to go star gazing tho. ..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nice one on the Planetarium!

We where thinking of the Mid Sussex area, depending how many people show interest.

This may be a far drive for you. Unless you know somewhere nice half way, near Petworth,  this area is seriously dark sky territory.

Archived