Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

bradfrankshaw

West Sussex Observing Group - social meet up

I'm in, Petworth is only a 40 minute drive from me.

Might be worth letting emadmoussa know as he now lives in that neck of the woods.

Duncton hill on road out of Petworth towards Chitchester has car park and I think very likely seriously dark

Just checked that Google link yes that is the car park I was thinking of, it is beautiful around there

Nice good to hear, won't have time to suss beforehand.

I'm in, Petworth is only a 40 minute drive from me.

Might be worth letting emadmoussa know as he now lives in that neck of the woods.

Thanks Antony, please extend invite.

Still waiting on chairman "Frank" to confirm.

I'm in! first free weekend since last year so the timing could'nt of been better. Driving from Shoreham but distance is no issue for me, just want some darker skies and a proper 1st field trip! Looking forwartd too it

• Like 1

I'm in! first free weekend since last year so the timing could'nt of been better. Driving from Shoreham but distance is no issue for me, just want some darker skies and a proper 1st field trip! Looking forwartd too it

Nice one.

I dunno if I'm going to be out all night yet.

Have not been up that road for maybe 3 years but I guess unlikely to change. There are trees but from memory mainly behind/one sided.

• Like 1

Okay I think we are getting close to a critical mass, please spread the word and try to get people to join.

I will make my decision to drive out their by tomorrow lunch time as I need to get all my stuff prepared.  

I am planning on going out to B&Q to get a power inverter so I can power mounts and cameras.

I also have a kettle for coffee and biscuits, people can arrive and leave when ever it suites them.

I will try to hold the fort for as long as possible - probably from 19:30 through to 02:30. 

So far we have

+1 Chris

+1 Obsey

+1 Denis

+1 Bathurst

? Frank

?  happy-kat

? Any others?

Anybody else who wants to come just +1

If you any of the above cannot make it let us know by lunch time tomorrow.

Thanks

• Like 2

Fingers crossed they're right about the clear skies, my astronomy thing on accuweather says it's worst viewing night between tonight and sun. .. But then it says tonight is good viewing :blink::huh:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Been using accuweather for a week now, might delete it. Not very good.

Its weired hobsey, its always been pretty bang on with weather reports even with the hourly predicions through the day but recently it seems to be wrong most of the time. Looking forward to tomorrow and meeting you all so am hoping for clear sky!

• Like 1

Fingers crossed they're right about the clear skies, my astronomy thing on accuweather says it's worst viewing night between tonight and sun. .. But then it says tonight is good viewing :blink::huh:

Met office is usually really good for this type of thing 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/petworth-west-sussex#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1393632000

Check the weather (clouds) and visibility indicators. (Good is not the best, but they are usually conservative.)

But we will need to keep a eye on it as the by lunch time we will know for definite.

It is currently clear over Manchester and this high pressure should drift over us by tomorrow night.

Depending how fast or slow it moves will determine if tomorrow night is viable.

• Like 1

Met Office is usually right but always best to check in within the 24hours leading up to the event, being a Groundsman I rely on Weather sites/apps on a daily basis and know all too well how wrong they can be but also how right as well!

Hi everyone - sorry today was my daughters birthday so been a bit busy. I'll be up for this. Need to check location on the map but should be good.

Okay, I am all set for tonight, please let us know if anybody cannot make it.

Weather is holding up strong clear all day and night till 3am and I have managed to get a inverter to power equipment.

Nice starting to get excited, its all looking good.

Yep, I'm all set.

Couldn't get hold of a dew strap for the c8 so I'm going to have to join 2 smaller ones together.

yep I'm all set,  I'll aim for 7:30ish should take about 35-45mins, just to confirm it's here we're meeting right?

http://goo.gl/maps/NJY94

Still a few clouds dotted about but hopefully they'll clear off, forecast seems certain they will anyway.

Hate to throw a spanner in the works but I have just been looking at the location on google street and it is north facing with no south facing views.  :huh:

Edited by hobsey

Well I still up for coming out with my dob. Isn't there anywhere else we could meet that's tried and tested maybe?

Blimey its nearly an hour from me! Soz guyscant make tonight im on taxi duty for daughters day-after birthday friends night out...

I'll try get out in the garden..