SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Our 200p Dob arrived!

Good morning all,

I took the day off work Tuesday to be in for the courier and built the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p in the lounge.

I knew it would be big but was not prepared for the sheer size of it. And to think I was mulling over whether to go for the 250px!

To cut a long story short got it together and looked at the moon, M42 and Jupiter with it Tuesday night.

2 observations(sic):

I believe it may be out of collimation a little (I need to get a Cheshire collimation tool)

I need to get a Barlow lens for the planets.

Tried to find the Andromeda galaxy but I think we have too much light pollution where we are. Tuesday night was not the best for viewing anyway.

One question: If the collimation circle on the primary mirror is slightly off centre (difficult to say how much as no collimation cap or tool) then when correctly collimated, will this make the subjects brighter as there is more light pointing in exactly the right direction?

This may be an obvious question but I'm a beginner so apologies if it is.

Many thanks for reading this.

I'll do a proper "first light" when the scope is truly collimated and we have some good weather.

Clear skies,

Terry.

An 8" scope is a nice size. They can keep you busy for years finding things to look at  :smiley: If you have an old film canister, chop the bottom  off and put a hole in the cap, 3mm ish, and use this for assessing/refining the collimation. Then tweak on a star once outside. Good hunting :smiley:  

Excellent - a new telescope is an exciting event.  :)

You've bought a great telescope there that will truly bring you a lifetime's worth of enjoyment.

I thought the 200p was a great all rounder on planets and deep space objects.

With regards to collimation, if it's 'off' on a telescope the image will appear to be fuzzy and not well focused. if you want to know more, please read this excellent article that many new UK astronomers have used to deal with the thorny issue of collimation:

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Collimation tends to be stable on the 200p because of its smaller size and once you've checked and aligned the secondary mirror (and spider only if necessary - the spider is the thin cross strips that holds the secondary mirror in place), you can often get away with just aligning the primary mirror on subsequent sessions.

I have used one of these for years and it's always done the job: http://www.365astronomy.com/skywatcher-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece-p-2476.html?zenid=6a74ae8197afce8cd26b0c354358432b&gclid=CIGhipvt8bsCFc3KtAodHwoA1w

Thanks for all the replies and info guys.

Last night had a proper go at looking around the sky but the moonlight made the sky a tad bright. I think I need to practise my "seeing".

My neighbour came over with his Skywatcher 150mm refractor on an EQ6 mount. He told me it was a birthday present from his family. They paid £350 second hand. Bargain!!!!

He lent me a 42mm 2 inch eyepiece to try out and I loved it. But it didn't seem to fit in my 2" holder for some reason. I'll have to check the 200p boxes in case I'm missing an eyepiece mount.

All in all a very pleasurable evening.

Especially as our views of Jupiter were about the same using both scopes with 10mm eyepieces. I was afraid the big frac would blow my Newt out of the water.

I now have to take the dob 6 or 7 miles away for an evening as we're lucky enough to be that close to some truly dark skies (apparently)

All the best for now.

Terry.

Thanks for all the replies and info guys.

Last night had a proper go at looking around the sky but the moonlight made the sky a tad bright. I think I need to practise my "seeing".

My neighbour came over with his Skywatcher 150mm refractor on an EQ6 mount. He told me it was a birthday present from his family. They paid £350 second hand. Bargain!!!!

He lent me a 42mm 2 inch eyepiece to try out and I loved it. But it didn't seem to fit in my 2" holder for some reason. I'll have to check the 200p boxes in case I'm missing an eyepiece mount.

All in all a very pleasurable evening.

Especially as our views of Jupiter were about the same using both scopes with 10mm eyepieces. I was afraid the big frac would blow my Newt out of the water.

I now have to take the dob 6 or 7 miles away for an evening as we're lucky enough to be that close to some truly dark skies (apparently)

All the best for now.

Terry.

Man, that is awesome, I so wish I had an astronomer for a neighbour! :) 

You are very fortunate.

Archived