Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO120MC Camera

Barv

while we are on the subject of the camera ASI120MM, whats best the colour or mono version???? As im gonna go for this, ive got a colour filter wheel, and filters.......is the sensitivity much better??? Very little difference in price, wanna go for what gives me best images, and is it much harder process to image tri-colour??

"Best" is a subjective term :)

As I said above, I believe the sensitivity of the colour camera is about 15% lower than the mono camera.  I don't think the processing is that much harder if at all once you have your workflow sorted, though it's probably a fair bit more time-consuming.

James

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think once you have had a taste of mono imaging there is now way back ;) i am looking to looking to upgrade from my dmk21au04. Whether i get the newer dmk or zwo i am not sure but, it will be the mono despite the extra processing needed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm on Win7 64b too, and both the MM and MC worked fine for me. Capturing on my dual core 2.2MHz 4GB RAM laptop is fine too and isn't too demanding on resources. Processing may be a little longer, with three or four AVI's to stack per picture, but they are shorter AVI's, and it's something to fill in time when it's cloudy! Assembling them into a picture isn't difficult, and each layer/colour can be adjusted without affecting the others. I went for the mono also for use imaging the Sun and Moon, but haven't found using filters to be a difficult learning curve. I'm sure my pictures ( shown above ) will improve further with more practice, but I was very pleased with the results from the first two nights out with the camera.

I'm on Win7 64b too, and both the MM and MC worked fine for me. Capturing on my dual core 2.2MHz 4GB RAM laptop is fine too and isn't too demanding on resources. Processing may be a little longer, with three or four AVI's to stack per picture, but they are shorter AVI's, and it's something to fill in time when it's cloudy! Assembling them into a picture isn't difficult, and each layer/colour can be adjusted without affecting the others. I went for the mono also for use imaging the Sun and Moon, but haven't found using filters to be a difficult learning curve. I'm sure my pictures ( shown above ) will improve further with more practice, but I was very pleased with the results from the first two nights out with the camera.

Hah!  "something to fill in time when it's cloudy", the man says.  I've had time to evolve an entirely new form of sentient life and build a working nuclear fusion reactor, here. :D

James

120MC runs on W8, W7 and XP although some XP machines can be a problem - I know I've experienced it! One point to mention regarding rotational blurring - if you use Winjupos, the normal circa 90s capture limit no longer applies, as Winjupos can de-rotate your AVIs for you.

..mines 32, is that gonna be a problem do you think??? Its a dual core laptop, 2 GB RAM......

I've run the Mono camera on an ancient Win XP single core laptop with 512MB of RAM. It will run on this, but I had to limit the frame rate to 30fps. I would think dual core and 2GB will be fine.

You'll be fine for capture, though an old hard disk might struggle at higher fame rates with bigger ROIs. I might be tempted to upgrade ram if you will be stacking and processing on this - a 4GB upgrade is not expensive nowadays. Nice to have 200GB of spare hard drive - I easilly capture 80GB on a good night, though use PIPP to sort the best frames generally reduces this to around 15GB per session.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Archived