Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My observatory has gone mouldy!

Bizibilder

Last night I noticed that the underside of the plywood roof of my new observatory was covered in little gray/black specks - I assume this to be gray mould caused by the constant damp weather??  There are no leaks but the constant rain and high humidity can't be doing it any good.  The underside of the roof was not painted during construction - a job that was left for the spring due to work etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to kill the mould off?  I can think of wiping the surfaces with either meths or dilute bleach, either of which should do the trick.

Biz. Solution with bleach would kill the mould then paint with a bathroom paint which should be more tolerant to all the moisture.

Best would be a way of keeping things drier in there

Good luck.

Gareth.

Last night I noticed that the underside of the plywood roof of my new observatory was covered in little gray/black specks - I assume this to be gray mould caused by the constant damp weather??  There are no leaks but the constant rain and high humidity can't be doing it any good.  The underside of the roof was not painted during construction - a job that was left for the spring due to work etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to kill the mould off?  I can think of wiping the surfaces with either meths or dilute bleach, either of which should do the trick.

Mines the same a plywood sheet with green stuff that's a bit wet, i think the bleach will work, and i have some bathroom paint that worked very well until the wife re-coated it with B&Q stuff....I think it will need to dry out so i will be  leaving it until the summer and some sunshine....

id get a couple of dehemidifiers in their and also get some anti bacterial mould paint to slap on from a BNQ to stop it or prevent it from coming back for as long as possible as the last thing you want is for your optics to start festering mould :(

Just a though is this only happening to Roofs that are rubber covered...????

Nope i have a workshop covered with 18mm ply and double layer of felt and i have been getting mould for years now only in certain parts for some reason.

Even after continuous treating and paint and better air flow it still comes through,really annoying.

I just spray Dettol mould and mildew remover  now whenever i see it coming through,lasts a while when treated so not a permanent fix.

I run a dehumidifier for a couple of one hour slots per day in my wooden observatory but have noticed mould this year on the inside of the South side. The timber is all coated in Sadolin but the mould grows on top! It must be a combination of warmth and extra damp recently, nothing on the other surfaces.

What I also have this year is an infestation of ladybirds huddled in several groups of 50-100! Does anyone else have these over wintering visitors?

Linton

That's what concerns me - there is good ventilation that can get in under the roof overhangs and, in the breeze we've been having recently, there is no shortage of ventilation.  The ply is not in any way "damp" ie not visibly wet or wet to the touch -it's just the current persistent high humidity and above average temperatures that seem to be the problem.

here is a swift picture of the offending spots:

post-4502-0-25881500-1388851339_thumb.jp

I would suggest that good ventalation would help considerably, I have a roll off shed - so it is up on wheels with a dirty great slot cut into the floor, plus I added vent holes above the door and just below the roof overhang to allow hot air out if we ever had a run of hot weather (hahaha).

Living in very wet Wales my shed stays absolutely dry, as does the kit inside and I have never had any mold.

Pete

Archived