Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Holiday lightweight scope.

I have looked for and am looking for a scope as per topic. Not looking to spend a fortune and I am realistic about what I will get. It must fold down small and not be too heavy.

Looked at this and read about the rubbish mount http://www.365astronomy.com/celestron-travel-scope-70-refractor-with-tripod-backpack-p-319.html?zenid=0ac33cce4e6047c043ac654be224d55f&gclid=CKSOzfS34rsCFW_MtAodC38AgA but the mount being poor isn't insurmountable.

My main aim is to manage up to around 70x mag and be easily transportable.

However I just wondered does anyone else have any other suggestions for one that will throw into a suitcase and weighs under 2kg?

"However I just wondered does anyone else have any other suggestions for one that will throw into a suitcase and weighs under 2kg? "

Under 2kg weight is very limiting for a telescope, so I'd suggest binoculars and a good observing guide.

Regards, Ed.

I have bins but tbh I dont really get on with them mainly down to eyereliaf issues/ glasses. The pair I have are thise lidl ones and although I manage, its just not the same as a scope.

I will see what peter has in mind for me but thanks anyway Ed.

ST80 on a camera tripod? Inexpensive and fit for purpose.

Olly

I'd second this. I'm going to be upgrading soon but will keep the ST80 as a scope for travel and a quick grab 'n' go because it's so good. I'm investigating ways of reducing it's already very low weight further so it can be taken abroad on planes etc. Not sure I'd trust airline baggage handlers with the telescope itself, but something like a camera tripod could go in the hold without too much damage.

DD

Hi,

I use a TBS100 Optolyth fieldscope as it can also be used for terrestrial viewing it has superb HD fluorite optics but you might struggle finding one.

http://www.optolyth.de/english/catalogue/index.

It's smaller bother the TBS80 HD is also an excellent bit of kit and is more readily available on auction websites.

Regs,

M

With a ST80 you can easily unscrew the complete objective assembly, put that in your hand luggage and the rest not so vulnerable items in the hold. No harm done and it screws back together later with no collimation problems.  :smiley:

Surely you can carry on an ST80? I used to carry on a TeleVue Genesis in a special ply box I'd made myself.

Olly

I've never tried. Part of me wished I'd taken it to Iceland, but the weather was shockingly bad (Or "normal" as they call it up there!). My problem would be if they had a limit on the amount of hand luggage you're allowed on. Sleazyjet, for example, heavily restrict you on size, rather than weight. I would want my DSLR too, and my lenses, so that's going to add up to one expensive bag of delicate bits and pieces. I'm going to try for my next holiday to Foreign - I reckon the ST80, my camera, my Kindle and the relevant passports and papers would add up to one single bag's worth. One wonders what airport security will think when they x-ray it!

With a ST80 you can easily unscrew the complete objective assembly, put that in your hand luggage and the rest not so vulnerable items in the hold. No harm done and it screws back together later with no collimation problems.  :smiley:

Now that's a solution...

DD

Depends on the airline hand luggage allowance of course but I have carried a Canon 500mm f/4 lens with a 7D body together with a 70-200mm f/4 lens and netbook...just need to remember how to pack it into my Lowepro 300AW backpack...total weight, just shy of 10kg, and within my allowance.

Tripod and heads go into the hold.

Oh and the Mrs. usually has some spare space in her hand luggage for one or two other lenses...and my AstroTrac :)

I refuse to use airlines that assume you are going to wear the same clothes for an entire week (or two!) on holiday by providing a paltry (or no) allowance...okay if you are just going to sit by the pool every day, all day but that's not for me.

Only had a question once about the AstroTrac but after I had shown them the user manual they were happy.

Wow this topics expanded, hehe. Some good ideas though. My next hol in a week and its bins, but when I goto dom republic for my honeymoon, I want to be able to take a couple of drinks down to the beach for an hour, set something up and look at things we simpky dont see in the uk. Bins wont cut it for mag hence a scope being prefered option. I dont need it until may but I dont want to make it last minute. Anyway, like I said you have given me some ideas and I shall now ponder over them

cheers

Steve

The place in question mate has a private beach, there is no way i would run a risk of setting it up otherwise. Picture show it with lots of tables set out and it is these that give me the basis of viewing idea, hope its not false advertising, haha

Hmm....maybe my idea of bins is trumped by the ST 80, so am changing my mind to that....

Good thing about this forum is we can see when we get it wrong.

Regards, Ed.

Bins are never a bad suggestion! They're uber-portable. I've never considered taking the ST80 on a flight before, but the bins go with me on every trip. Having said that, the ST80 always gets packed into hire cars. Its next trip is to Sennen Cove, if it doesn't wash away...

DD

I've just bought a second hand ST102 to take to the winter star party in February. Unscrew the dew shield, remove diagonal and remove the finder and it fits in a small briefcase with space for the finder, eps & camera. The tripod and head can go in the hold while the delicate optics go in my hand luggage. I got mine second hand and am pleasantly surprised by how well it performs.

Clear skies,

Mark

Archived