NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheap light panel for flats??

Bizibilder

Heads up with this as a possible cheap and cheerful lightbox for taking flats - at £14 it must be worth a punt??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12W-100-LED-White-3014-SMD-Ceiling-Panel-Downlight-Bulb-Lamp-Square-Home-Office-/171202796533?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item27dc7b5bf5

(I have to add a thank you to Dave (wolfman) for the original heads up on another forum).

Remember that old saying " You get what you pay for " i bet there will be people on here will buy one... :)

I'm in that horrendous position of having more sense than money. I'm still looking for someone with more money than sense to buy me stuff :laugh:  not many rich widows left unfortunately...  :rolleyes:

My Ebay light panel arrived, the led section measures 250mm by 250mm, the power supply has on the mains side 2 brown wires there  one is L and the other N  would be nice if there were brown and blue, the light panel is nice and bright with a even spread of light and 20 minutes alight the psu just got warm,,,,,,

DSC_9976.jpg

Mine arrived as well today - On first look it seems fine.  It is very bright when compared to my current light box (home made) and may need dimming a little.  If this was done using opal acrylic the light would be even more diffused - it seems pretty even already but I've not tested and checked this yet.  Annoyingly it is only 250mm square over the light panel (300mm over the aluminium "frame") so it is just too small for the C11 !!!

At best it will do the job, at worst it will be a far more even light source than I have already! (and to be honest my light box is pretty good!!).

Yes - but I've used these in the past:  https://www.plasticstockist.com/Opal-White-Acrylic-Sheet.aspx  as they sell all the different opacities and will cut to size for you.  Their prices are pretty good as well.  I would go for the 37% transmission as a starter - if you need more then you could double up the thickness or add a piece of higher transmission.

My Ebay light panel arrived, the led section measures 250mm by 250mm...

Do you reckon it could used as a ceiling light panel in a very small office?

I have all kitchen lights in LED (like them very much) and was looking for something like this for my PC room, but hesitated about buying blind, so would be grateful for your opinion (even though it drifts OT from your intended use :grin: )

Just taken this by holding the light panel to the end of my 120mm APO:

This was taken in the middle of the panel:

post-4502-0-05870300-1388772690_thumb.jp

This was taken in the corner of the panel:

post-4502-0-28067000-1388773142_thumb.jp

I had to reduce the ISO setting to 100 and let the camera choose the exposure - 1/500 sec.  seems to have worked OK.  (This is a modded 1000D by the way).

I'm sure it is OK to take flats at ISO 100 when my lights are at ISO 800??  Could someone confirm please? 

(For flats at ISO 800 the camera used 1/4000 sec (ie shortest possible exposure) and got this result:

Again middle of the panel:

post-4502-0-40949400-1388772952_thumb.jp

Which looks over-exposed and with a horrible black band at the bottom - I assume the shutter caused this?

Which looks over-exposed and with a horrible black band at the bottom - I assume the shutter caused this?

Maybe try a sheet of paper to reduce the intensity of the light so you can increase the exposure time to even out the switching.

Archived