Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3D printing

Enrico

2013 has seen some interesting advances in 3D printing. Any views on when it might change astronomy? Imagine being able to print a mirror (which would need coating, obviously) or other parts for a DIY telescope. It could change the hobby completely, or at least the DIY scene. SGL would need a library of 3D open-source designs for parts!

Couple of people have already done some astro accessories, there was a self-centering bush that looked very useful, and I suspect that bahtinov masks are a possibility.

Mirrors are probably out of it, perhaps the shape cannot be accurate enough but they would also have to be very smooth, and the degree required would I expect be beyond the capabilities of a printer that effectively squirts stuff out of a nozzle.

However a lot of small accessories, eyepiece holders for example should be possible.

Will be interesting to see if one of the retailers sets up and keeps a library of designs and offers to make one off items for people.

It's interesting technology and you can pick up a plastic based printing machine BYO kit for as 'little' as seven hundred smackers.

I think metal 3d printing is now available, which would come in handy for sturdy adapters. Even perhaps lightweight binoculars...with the optics having been bought in.

As Ronin said, it would be interesting to see what design data becomes available...

At the moment there is a lot of media hype surrounding 3D printing.

The materials available are VERY limited and hence the usefulness of the printed objects.

I suspect it is a technology that will mature slowly into something more widely useful, but for the moment is a bit too much of a frontier for everyday usefulness.

I don't see 3d printing having too much of a use for metal parts that need strength, such as anything that might traditionally be forged, as you can't get the grain structure sorted correctly.

For adaptors, finder scope brackets, focuser knobs etc. I think it will be fantastic.

When someone produces a combined 3D print and CNC milling machine.. woo… but given the accurate 3D prints are still based on using a laser to solidify the material out of a pool.. the best would probably be the crowdsourced formalabs: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/formlabs/form-1-an-affordable-professional-3d-printer

Hello there,

I own two 3d printers, teach a class voluntarily, and I see that there are still some misconceptions.

I have made a canon ef mount to 1.25" to connect a camera to a twlescope, a C Mount to EF adapter for video astronomy, a camera to dovetail adapter to get a maksutov on a eq mount, and several things more... Even small parts for educational telescope kits. Oh, and I gave each of my student a small mars globe ;-)

3D Printer kits start around 299 US Dollars. Machines for 200 dollars or even 70 dollars have been announced.

Ready to run machines start at 400usd, simple as it (currently) gets machines start at 800 Dollars.

Plastic prints can be durable if you know the material properties and take it into consideration when designing parts. Threaded adapters, telescope mounting plates, housings... Works quite well. I was surprised myself that I can just print threads.

The material palette increases. ABS and Nylon are pretty versatile. Metal may be available in the future for small shops with limited budgets. Right now it is either expensive, messy, or both. Casting works though.

Resins and bio plastics plus rubbery or stretchy plastics complete a pretty big palette. From jewelery to repairs... It works for many tasks.

There are sites like thingiverse that already contain some telescope stuff. It's amazing.

There is currently a company claiming to print optics with tiny resin droplets and the smoothing properties when letting it sit for a while before fully curing.

I agree there won't be printed telescopes for a while, but where would we stand now if current limitations would stop us from trying, driving innovation further? :-)

I think it has come on in leaps and bounds, the aerospace industry is starting to use quite a lot of 3d printed parts, some of them quite significant.

There are many parts of a telescope that can be printed in this way, I agree mirrors and lenses etc will have to wait and some components the production cost is already very low ( tripod legs for example ) so there will be no point at this time.

Archived