newbie question

Hello, I'm just getting into astronomy and I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a pair of 10x50 binoculars been delivered within 5 weeks, I was wondering what can i see with 10x50 binoculars? Can i see galaxies? Planets? Star clusters? 

Hope I get answers soon. :D

Hello and welcome to the forum. A 10x50 binocular is a great way to start. It is capable of showing Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus, not in the detail shown in the magazines but you can still see the phases of Venus and Jupiter's Moons. There are several galaxies within its range, the Andromeda Galaxy being the easiest, these will appear as faint grey smudges at best. There are very many star clusters available, this is what the binocular will do best, a very capable instrument if used with patience from a dark sky location.  :smiley:

DeeJayAstro.......Hi, Binoculars are great for studying the skies at night, giving fairly wide views. The darker the skies, the better. If you further start saving and get an 8" Reflector telescope ( my choice is the Dobsonian mounted version) then you will get to see more detail on the planets and further deep space objects, depending on conditions. Binoculars are a great start to this amazing hobby.

Congratulations on your excellent decision to get in to Astronomy with 10 x 50 binoculars! It's a great way to get started and learn your way around the sky and you'll be amazed at what you can see. Galaxies, nebulae and globular clusters will appear as 'fuzzy smudges' with a distinct shape. Some open clusters and asterisms (groups of stars which make interesting shapes) will look spectacular, especially if there are different coloured stars. Some stars are deep red, others blue and others yellow it's good to track down some notable examples. There are also some binocular double stars which look great. The most spectacular thing to see with binoculars is the Milky Way - just scan back and forth along the Milky Way and you will see some amazingly rich star fields. The moons' pretty cool too.

To make things more comfortable when using bino's I would suggest a desckchair, or campbed or even a rug on the ground to make it easier to look up for long periods.

If you have an ipad, load Star Walk or Sky Safari and take it outside with you - couldn't be easier! :smiley:

10x50's are a good choice for astronomy, so well done. Using them regularly, with a planisphere, star chart app or atlas is a great way to learn the constellations too, which to me is very rewarding. ( Think of the night sky as a "join the dots" picture and you will know what I mean)

The perseus double cluster is another good target to view.  Right now it is pretty much straight overhead in the early evening, so laying on your back will be your best viewing of that.

Yea, well, it's not going to look like this in your bino's....   but, it is one of the coolest things to look at.

hundchi_volker.jpg

Some interesting things about the perseus double cluster, it they are far more than HALF WAY across our galaxy (70,000 ly).

Most of the dimmer stars you see are in the FOREGROUND.

The two clusters are at a distance of 10 light years apart (that's how far away it is).

The stars in it are so bright becuase they are very young stars, and are about 50,000 times as luminous as our sun.

Knowing all that, I have laid and stared at the clusters for LONG periods of time, just going...  wow....

I'd bet money on it that about 98% of people (ok let's call them astronomers :tongue: ) have a pair of 10x50 bins close at hand most clear night, no matter what other equipment they use. The reason for this is because 10x50 work and work well. They are the "work horse" in any astronomer's kit. It is so lovely to just sit back/stand on a clear night and scan the skies with 10x50's and soak up the universe. As has been said, the views they offer are not going to be telescope quality................let alone Hubble quality. The Moon, inner planets, some clusters, Orion Nebula, general star fields will give very pleasing lovely views. You will even squeeze in a few galaxies (Andromeda being the best.........but they will just be grey/white faint smudges).

The best 10x50 bins i own (i have 3 sets of 10x50) are the Bresser ones i bought from Lidl about 5 yrs ago for about 20 quid. 

I dont even need to say "enjoy your new bins when they arrive", because i know you will. 

Archived