Wide field eyepiece advice.

I am looking for advice on which widefield eyepiece would give reasoably good views when used with  Skywatcher 150mm Star Travel refractor.But wide field,I mean 68 to 82 degrees. I have heard it said that quitye a few wide field eyepieces donot give good views when used with faster telescopes such as f5.I also have a Skywatcher 10 inch f4.7 dobsonian.

Any advice or recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,

Martin.

The Meade 30mm UWA would give good results without spending Nagler cash or the same from ExSc. The Aero range from Sky Watcher are reasonable but will soften at the edges at F5. In the 68 degree range why not look at the Maxvision selection so much talked about of late at either 28mm or 34mm, both are very good as I once had the Meades version of the same thing.

Alan

Try and find, (and I say try as they don't come up often) a SH 27mm Panoptic. People that own these keep em (except idiots like me :D ).

These are one of Televues best kept secrets, and one of their very finest eyepieces.

People that sell these on (fools ;) ) thinking the grass is greener (and blacker) with more expensive designs, soon find out their mistake........Doh! :BangHead::D

I will get another one someday :rolleyes:

Seems I am going to have to get one of these 27mm Panoptics. It will give the widest FOV in the LX when used in conjunction with the F 6.3 reducer. I have the two either side of the 27mm and I can't see much wrong with them, infact I can't see anything worng with them, too expensive, maybe.

Alan.

I have the two either side of the 27mm and I can't see much wrong with them, infact I can't see anything worng with them, too expensive, maybe.

Alan.

Do I sense sympton of an ocularholic? :wink:

Back to OP's topic, I'd agree with Alan about the Maxsions if you're OK with the weight, the Performance/price is simply the best.

I have tried the MaxVision 24mm 68 deg at F/6 and it is great, I hear the 28mm is easily as good. Both should be OK at F/5. Nagler-wise the 31T5 "Panzerfaust" is also awesome for wide field views, and the 22T4 is also a stunner. The MaxVision 24mm 82 deg is a bargain at the moment, and should have a Nagler-like performance similar to the Meade 14mm UWA I used to have. Well worth considering.

Archived