Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kielder Gets Official Dark Sky Status

M4lcs67

Was listening to Radio 2 this morning and on one of the news bulletins was the news that Kielder has been awarded dark sky status and is officially regarded as one of the worlds premier sites for stargazing. Well done to all who were involved in obtaining the award. I will be venturing there myself just as soon as I can. It is probably  2 hours from where I live, more than doable. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25260186

Full credit to the campaigners.

As mentioned on the local news, it is also the protection of the ecology of native wildlife that will benefit from this measure to omit light pollution from this region. Such as the feeding habits of bats and small mammals.

I took a 6 hour round trip to to visit the observatory about 6 weeks ago it was epic and would do it again. Clouds cleared just as we arrived and stayed away for the four hours we were there.

They were saying there going to be doing a large extension to the place if this dark sky status went through. Looking forward to visiting again

Well done to all those involved!

It is getting featured regularly on the BBC news channel at the moment.

I hope that the site gets an all year campsite so that I can turn up at short notice throughout the winter!

There is - I have not stayed at this campsite myself and I think it opened about two years ago or so.  Boerigg is between Bellingham and Kielder and is open all year, welcoming to stargazers. 

www.boerigg.co.uk

Archived