NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light 10" skywatcher dob.

DazC

Last night (4/12/13) was first light for me and my new 10" dob. I only had a couple of hours so I chose to revisit a few of my old favourites.

First was M45, it was breathtaking. Even just through the finder scope. I only used my 32mm ep as I wanted the wide angle view so I could take it all in.

Next on to M31 with M32 also in view. M31 was as bright as I've ever seen it before and M32 was alot clearer than with my 130mm scope. I still couldn't find M110, I've tried many times but have never seen it.

Jupiter next. It had just cleared the houses but I didn't have too much time left so had to put up with the heat shimmer. I was like a kid in a candy shop, swapping ep to ep. I was surprised at how much bigger it looked compared to the view through my 130mm.

Even with my 7mm ep and 2x barlow giving 342x mag the image was clearer than my 9mm ep in my 130mm scope, even with the shimmer.

I can't wait to see Jupiter higher in the sky. Plus with this scope, the GRS should be visible.

Just before pack away time, I decided there was time for a quick look at M42, possibly my favourite DSO.

Amazing with the 32mm ep, then tried 20, 9 and 7mm.

9mm was my favourite for this object as it framed it perfectly.

Only a short first light, but I was very impressed and cannot wait for the next clear night.

The dob mount felt a little strange to use at first but I'll get used to that in no time, and I think I need to loosen the centre nut on the base so the scope turns a little more freely.

After that, it should be plain sailing!

I've only used the scope once, but already i would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for reading.

D.C

great report.  seems like the aperture upgrade was worth it then . regarding m110 , I failed a few times with the 8" , however it was mainly due to the fact its further away from m31 than you may think. once I found it I was amazed at how far away it was  visually compared to photographs.

I bet the orion nebula was a real treat .

clear skies.

M110 is one of those ones that really needs a dark sky. I used to see it regularly in the New Forest and spotted it easily with the ST80 on Exmoor. Looked at M31 last night from London and couldn't see it at all.

Reading these observing reports from people with 10'' dobs make me sigh with envy. I'd love one, but first I need a garden to put it in...

DD

Great report! Just love reading first light reports like this one. Especially when the jump in aperture is as big as in this case. You're going to have lots of fun with that scope.

Yep, make sure the center bolt isn't too tight, it'll make a huge difference in movement. M110 shouldn't be hard to see in that dob. I can see it with the 6", although very, very faint. But with the 12" it's actually hard to miss it. It should be pretty much the same with your 10" I think. It's a bit farther away from M31 than you might think visually however.

Once again, great report and thanks for sharing!

M110 is one of those ones that really needs a dark sky. I used to see it regularly in the New Forest and spotted it easily with the ST80 on Exmoor. Looked at M31 last night from London and couldn't see it at all.

Reading these observing reports from people with 10'' dobs make me sigh with envy. I'd love one, but first I need a garden to put it in...

DD

With a 10" Dob it's fine from my location (3 miles from Leeds city centre), it's quite far out from M31 - which you might not have been expecting.

Daz, did you see any green tint with M42?

Archived