Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Water in obo

Jack Martin

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that ventilation should help.  My floor is raised decking with gaps of around 5mm.  The Pulsar dome gets condensation but not the walls and after a couple of years I've never had wet observatory floors other than a few drips.

Do you need the matting as without it any dampness should evaporate rather than being trapped?  I find that the decking always feels warm underfoot without any covering over it.

It's all a learning process, thoughbut? Even with my pre-build Alexander's Observatory. ;)

If I were attempting an ab-initio build, I'd probably make the base "smaller" than the walls?

Dig a "moat" around it (filled with gravel)? Have the door opening OUTWARDS notably! :p

With an over-sized, patio-style base - Despite installing (uber-sticky!) "flashing" etc. etc.,

Water still manages to creep in somehow! Added gutters are largely *decorative* I find? :o

I might add some wider Aluminium Angle over the WALL intersections. The minor damp on

the floor seems to mostly appear at the corners? The Wooden corners seem ineffective... 

Despite a bit o' damp, the bloomin' thing will most likely outlast me?

A "bouncy" floor is indeed handy - If you are wont to drop things!  :D

Condensation forms when saturated moist air meets a surface colder than the air.  The obvious answer is to:

1 - remove the moisture from the air (not a sensible solution if the roof is off)

2 - stop the surface getting so cold.

I, for one, would go for option 2 and insulate the walls. 

I have a metal shed roll-off roof observatory.  The walls are insulated with 1" of polystyrene foam sandwiched behind 12mm Sterling board inner walls.  The roof is uninsulated save a very thin layer of polystyrene 'veneer' glued to the underside.  This keeps a condensation at bay.

Greets

You could just fit one of these at low level on the wall and leave it on in damp atmostpheric conditions at 120watts it wouldnt cost a fat lot

Dimplex Winterwarm 0.12kW White Tubular Heater.

you can get them from Argos for under 30 quid. I am in no way connected to argos. I'm in the proccess of converting the back end of my garage into an obs and its my intention to fit a couple of these for this very reason.

regards

John

I would like to thank everybody for their input there are a number of options to look at.

The obo was boarded out in 6 mm ply this greatly improved the rigidity, then painted matt black soon after it was installed.

Can I wall mount the heater strips?

Regards,

Jack

Archived