Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Session at Blaenavon 7/12/13

Matthew

The next observing session will hopefully be held at Blaenavon  on the 7/12/13, for those who have not attended before here's the site co-ordinates +51° 47' 25.57", -3° 4' 10.74" 

I will also be planning a session on either the 20th or 21st of December but this will be a very late one as its main purpose will be to observe and image whats left of comet Ison ( details will follow once we know whats left of it ),so who's up for it ?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guys on the weather forum are talking snow anytime Thursday

Into Saturday next week and blaenavon is right in the firing line.keep an eye on the forecasts folks and keep safe if it does come off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Always in the winter these things go Mike- I guess its the time of the year we put the greatest strain on them . Nothing nailed on with the weather yet though - I've seen these things threatened on the forums before- everyone gets very excited then virtually overnight synoptics change. In one way its a very dynamic hobby I guess (metrology) but it doesn't have the predictability that astronomy does- although if you'd been watching the various Ison threads and live broadcasts from Nasa on Friday you might think otherwise.

I'm off to Oxford on Friday for the weekend- struggling to find time at the moment but I've got 2 weeks off over Christmas- hoping to get some serious scope time in then- maybe even a trip into mid Wales that I've been threatening for some time. Seems like an age since I've had the scope up or met up with you guys. 

I think last night may have been the best night this week but fingers crossed for the weekend.  Got our Christmas tree last night but was then stuck in the attic for hours cramped up amongst a myriad of boxes and junk and couldn't find the lights - another foray tonight but missed my chance last night with the scope which was disappointing. I woke about 3am looked outside and I thought it had snowed the frost was everywhere but at 6am when I got up - it had completely gone and the temperature as 7 degrees - what a change.

I'm not sure it did. The weather was terrible here in Bristol, and with a poor forecast for Blaenavon and no confirmation of the night going ahead, I made the decision to stay home. Fingers crossed for good, predictable weather.

It was cancelled, but accidentally posted on last months thread. 

Archived