Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which finderscope is best

after trying my scope out last night, i found it quite frustrating finding objects i couldnt see using the finderscope as the image is back to front and i got to thinking, what would be better :

1) right way round finder scope

or

2) Red Dot Finder

Now i realise the right way up finderscope would show more but that in itself could be confusing (or not)

I just want to find the easiest way to line up my scope and locate objects without using a goto system

I use both a red dot finder and a RACI (Right Angle Corrected Image) finder and am happy with either. There can be advantages to having a finder that shows fainter objects that the naked eye but using a red dot finder allows you to point pretty much at the spot you want to.

The biggest problem I find with finders is their positioning on the OTA - if they are too close to the tube I end up with a cricked neck...

James

When I decided to get the RA finder for my Newt, to save my neck at high altitudes, I decided to get the 'correct view' finder figuring it would be easier to switch between a fully inverted view and teh correct view that between inverted and partly inverted. I seem to have been right, and after all, an RDF is correct view by default. I have both finders on my Newt. With bright objects I use the RDF to put myself right on target. With dimmer objects I use the RDF to get into the general area, then fine tune iwth the optical finder.

I've not got the exact same model as Gary, but I do have the William Optics Red Dot Finder which (without a different brand model for comparison) I'd say is an excellent accessory and appears to be a very similar model to Gary's. However, I did buy the 'scope and finder second hand and they had already been zeroed in, so I can't say how easy or hard it was to do.

The finder works superbly for lining up with objects visible in with the human eye, although for faint nebulas I have to star-hop. A possible best-of-both-worlds might be one of the Baader 40mm Sky Surfer finders, although I'm not sure if it gives any boost to magnification.

I have this one and it is brilliant.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=bskysurferv

very solid piece of kit, 11 brightness levels for the dot. i have had it on and off my scope a lot and have not needed to adjust it yet. at 40mm it is very easy to navigate and star hop with. i am so far up to about 12 messier objects and have found them all by star hopping with this finder

I quite like a Telrad, yeah I know it's big and has all the charm of a breeze block but it does work really well.

Tonight for example we had 8 year old children lining up and using an 8" dob. I have a set of charts by SKYSPOT which are for use with a Telrad and they are just great. I bought my unit through ebay and it worked out to £27 delivered from the States, came in about a week, might get another one.

Dave

Im confused about red dot finders. What is the point of them? People keep talking about them because it makes it "easier" to point at things. But my finder scope that came with my Celestron C8-N has a crosshair in it. I can point at things easily. Whats the point of spending more money on a red dot laser when you can just have a normal finder scope with a crosshair in it like the ones I've seen on loads of scopes? Just put the object in the middle of the cross and there you have it. Been doing this to line up Mars in a 333x eyepiece in good seeing and got it in the centre of the FOV with no problem. Getting a laser sounds like a waste of money to me.

I can assure you, they are not a waste of money. The big advantage of RDF's is what you see is the right way up, unlike a normal finderscope. Planets wouldn't be an issue but if you're trying to star-hop to a DSO using a map, a RDF is much easier to use. I have a finderscope on my C8N and an RDF on WO ZS110 and I know which I'd rather use...

BTW. It's not a laser, it's a tiny red LED light that is projected onto a semi reflective piece of glass/plastic. The light doesn't actually go any further than the finder into the night sky!!

Tony..

Ah so its simply a case of image correction? For that I just use computer sky mapping software and flip the image to correspond to my 5 degree FOV in the finder, zoom in so the software is also at 5 degree, then can see exactly what Im looking at. Or use my 5 degree wire circle on a star map and just flip the image in my head

Also, with RDF's, you can find objects that you can't even see with a magnifying finder because if you know where an object is relative to naked eye stars, you place the dot on that place and find it with a widefield eyepiece. With a magnifying finder, determining this point can be much trickier.

Also, you don't need your eye up to an RDF. You can comfortably point your scope looking from the bottom of the tube and not have to get into awkward positions to see in the finder scope or rotate the tube.

I find them incredible value for money, but actually agree that with objects visible naked eye or through a 50mm finder, they can be of some benefit.

Cheers

Andrew

after trying my scope out last night, i found it quite frustrating finding objects i couldnt see using the finderscope as the image is back to front and i got to thinking, what would be better :

1) right way round finder scope

or

2) Red Dot Finder

Now i realise the right way up finderscope would show more but that in itself could be confusing (or not)

I just want to find the easiest way to line up my scope and locate objects without using a goto system

Both kinds of finder have advantages and disadvantages. They aren't particularly expensive, so having one of each is a real possibility, and what I would recommend (agreeing with James). I probably use my red-dot more often, because so much of the observing I do is demonstrating familiar objects at public events. But the magnification of a RACI finder is invaluable when looking for objects that aren't naked-eye visible and aren't conveniently located relative to something that is.

Here's an article comparing finder types and suggesting pros and cons of each.

- Richard

Cheers guys for all your replies. I have read all the links and have decided on the Baader Sky Surfer V ( i like the idea of the larger apature ) but i have a new question, is it possible to mount both the Sky Surfer and also have the finder that came with my scope fitted at the same time?

Thats always something really left to the owner imho, I have had a finder and a red dot on my scope, basically by either positioning a plate to take the new kit or by using the sticky back tape that normally comes with some. The telrad for instance can be taped but the tape is strong and due to the size of the telrad it can be quite a lot to have positioned.

Cheers guys for all your replies. I have read all the links and have decided on the Baader Sky Surfer V ( i like the idea of the larger apature ) but i have a new question, is it possible to mount both the Sky Surfer and also have the finder that came with my scope fitted at the same time?

Just chose one of these myself and yes came to the same conclusions regarding the need for both finder scopes types, but thought well lets start by making it nice and easy, you can always move on to a two scope system or a Ra later. Hey write a review when you can on the Baader. :wave:

Archived