Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First try AP, M42 and "The running man"

HenryW

For  a couple of months ago i hadn't the slightest idea how to take atrophotos, i did'nt know about ISO and exposure settings and did'nt even know how to manipulate a camera. Thanks to this Place i have followed many posts here With Incredible informations and instructions, also  i bougt "Making every photon Count", so i took the plunge, bought me a Canon EOS 550D and started Reading and here is the first result.

Intruments: SW 200P on a EQ5 upgraded With synscan

Place: A very dark Place in Telemark With some moon luminance

Time: 23.11.13  at around 23:00

30x20 sec exposures + 15 darks and 15 bias

Stacked in DSS and processed With Photoshop

I know there are much better shots here, but for me this is the wow factor, a great moment

Two different Processing of the same stacked Picture:

M42Prosess1_zpsbea73e25.jpg

M42medRunningman_zpsae914294.jpg

Great first try, well done. If you get the chance do some longer subs, about 2 minutes and some about 8~10 seconds, process them and then combine them in PS to get the core from burning but the long exposure will bring the surronding nebulasity out. Look forward to seeing  more.

I took the liberty of taking the two posted captures and combinthem in photoshop just to demonstrate how it can look like, although it wbe much better with two differenrt exposures rather than two different processing of the the same data, hope you don't mind.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-08094700-1385302018_thumb.j

The first one, to me, is the better one. The colour balance is better without the swing towards green. You have resolved the four main Trapezium stars and could sharpen them a little, too, but never sharpen the whole image.  A key idea in processing is to process different parts in different ways.

Very very good start.

Olly

. If you get the chance do some longer subs, about 2 minutes and some about 8~10 seconds, process them and then combine them in PS to get the core from burning but the long exposure will bring the surronding nebulasity out. Look forward to seeing  more.

One question though, is it possible With no guiding to take 2 min. exposures without startrails?

Well done Henry, it's a very good first effort.  The only thing I would do to improve it is to up the saturation or vibrance in PS. Vibrance only affects the unsaturated colours, whilst saturation does everything.

I shoot at 1 min subs without a guide camera, not sure whether you would be able to do much more as at 1.15 I start to get startrails instead of clean stars.  It's all to do with correct Polar alignment and how accurate you are when setting up.

Brenda  :smiley:

One question though, is it possible With no guiding to take 2 min. exposures without startrails?

That's a fantastic first of M42,every photon counts is a great book for astrophotography.In answer to your question the length of subs you can do is dependent upon a number of factors such as accuracy of polar alignment imaging scale and mount capabilities including the weight it is carrying.To get accurate polar alignment there are various software programs that can help achieve this such as alignmaster or eqmod.Given you are using a 200p on an eq5 mount then you are pushing the mount to its limits regarding imaging and your imaging scale would also make long subs unguided very difficult.I would try maybe one minute subs and increase the time to see what you can get.

You just have to try it. There is no answer from theory. Your focal length is fairly long but just give it a try. Expect to lose some frames but those you keep would make a difference.

Olly

Thanks for all the Advice folks.i'll try some longer exposures Next time im at my cabin (Yes it is Telemark in Norway, Pieter :-). i also restacked the series and added some more darks and bias that i forgot i had and reprosessed. The difference si very small but "The running man" became clearer

post-8905-0-18515800-1385585525_thumb.jp

Great shot. Did you use a coma corrector for this? Telemark? As in Telemark Norway? Lovely place.

Regards,

Pieter

Thanks, yes it is in Norway :-) and didn't use a coma corrector the Picture is "stright out of the Box" so to speak

Archived