Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If you have never seen Jupiter's great red spot....look now

Moonshane

I think the 160x eyepiece must have fogged up.

The higher magnifications were much better than expected - even with the cloud passing over.

Unfortunately rain stopped play.

Otherwise I would still be out there.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you see that huge white rift in front of the GRS? I really tried to see more detail in it thinking it maybe a few white spots but I just couldn't make it out.

Seeing went from AII to AIII so I made a sketch and called it a day.

Nice to be out though. :)

Did you see that huge white rift in front of the GRS? I really tried to see more detail in it thinking it maybe a few white spots but I just couldn't make it out.

Seeing went from AII to AIII so I made a sketch and called it a day.

Nice to be out though. :)

The spot seemed to have a pale ring / or halo around it - separating it visually from the dark storm band.

This is the first time I have seen it, so I have nothing to compare it to.

GRS has just passed the central meridian right now :smiley:

The pale area framing it is really enhanced at the moment along with a dark "swash" ahead of the GRS. The GRS itself seems darker in tone towards it's southern side. 

Ganymede has just popped out from behind Jupiters shadow to add to the occasion  :smiley:

I'm observing with my ED120 refractor at 150x and 180x at the moment.

Nice to actually do some observing on a "Stargazing Live" evening :smiley:

GRS has just passed the central meridian right now :smiley:

The pale area framing it is really enhanced at the moment along with a dark "swash" ahead of the GRS. The GRS itself seems darker in tone towards it's southern side. 

Ganymede has just popped out from behind Jupiters shadow to add to the occasion  :smiley:

I'm observing with my ED120 refractor at 150x and 180x at the moment.

Nice to actually do some observing on a "Stargazing Live" evening :smiley:

it's putting on a decent show :grin:

John the skies cleared just as Stargazing Live started so I'II have to catch up with that tomorrow.

Reeny that halo gap around the GRS is called the Red Spot Hollow (RSH), basically a big dent in the SEB where the GRS lives. :)

A glorious view with the GRS close to centre and Ganymede emerging (23:00 - 23:20). The movement of moons always seems so much faster when they are close to the disk of Jupiter. The colours seem washed out to me because of the slight mist....

Amazing seeing (x160, x225) considering the mist & murk abounding....

Chris

That pic explains a lot Shane, I've recently seen some sketches showing 3 white spots somewhere around the GRS but I wasn't sure if it was following or preceding the GRS, it was too close to the following limb earlier for me to see the white spots.

I was given some Amazon vouchers for xmas and bought Paul Abel's book on the Kindle, best thing I've done for a long time!

Jupiter is great for a quick look but even better when you start to recognise and understand a little more about it. :)

I've packed up now but the skies are still clear here. It was great following the GRS across the disk and I could make out that trail of pale vortexes in it's wake shown in the photo above.

The brown tongue is the dark "swash" I referred to earlier. It seems to be a really prominent feature currently. Odd to recall a couple of years back when the SEB faded virtually completely and the GRS had no hollow to nestle in  :smiley:

I had a look last night, but made the mistake of using Stellarium to check the transit times. I therefore thought that it would be dead centre at about 10pm. Now I have seen this thread it seems I was a bit early, although I did think I saw it close to the edge of the planet but dismissed it as my imagination! According to the sky and telescope websites transit time predictor it will be dead centre again tonight at 19:08 UT, but that might be a bit early (too low in the sky?), and the forecast is for lots of cloud and rain - oh well.

Dave.

Nice little sketch Nick  :smiley:

Jupiter really did look splendid last night. Saturns ring system is something to behold but for sheer dynamics you can't beat Jupiter - always something going on :smiley:

I had a look last night, but made the mistake of using Stellarium to check the transit times. I therefore thought that it would be dead centre at about 10pm. Now I have seen this thread it seems I was a bit early, although I did think I saw it close to the edge of the planet but dismissed it as my imagination! According to the sky and telescope websites transit time predictor it will be dead centre again tonight at 19:08 UT, but that might be a bit early (too low in the sky?), and the forecast is for lots of cloud and rain - oh well.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I've not found Stellarium that accurate on the GRS to be honest. I prefer to use the Sky & Telescope Java applet as my quick reference to when it's going to be on show and that does seem to be spot on.

At least we know that it will be around again, and again, and again .......  :smiley:

Hi Dave,

I've not found Stellarium that accurate on the GRS to be honest. I prefer to use the Sky & Telescope Java applet as my quick reference to when it's going to be on show and that does seem to be spot on.

At least we know that it will be around again, and again, and again .......  :smiley:

:smiley:

I agree John, it's accurate to the minute for me too.

Yes - lesson learned. The times given by the S+T predictor seem to coincide with the observations above, so I will use that next time it's clear!

Dave.

moons active tonight too:

16:06 UT, Io begins transit of Jupiter.
16:10 UT, Io's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
18:20 UT, Io ends transit of Jupiter.
18:26 UT, Io's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.
23:44 UT, Europa begins transit of Jupiter.
23:54 UT, Europa's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.

Archived