If you have never seen Jupiter's great red spot....look now

Moonshane

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Shane.

Do you have to change time scale as it's in UT

not currently but possibly for BST.

UT is equivalent to GMT so in summer you'll have to add an hour (just as you do to get from GMT-->British Summer TIme (BST))

Dave.

moons active tonight too:

16:06 UT, Io begins transit of Jupiter.

16:10 UT, Io's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.

18:20 UT, Io ends transit of Jupiter.

18:26 UT, Io's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.

23:44 UT, Europa begins transit of Jupiter.

23:54 UT, Europa's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.

Shame about the weather forecast......

Chris

True Dave but I suspect that the utilities take your location into account. Best to check the right hand boxes when BST comes in.

It does take your location in terms of timezone into account, but I believe it only ever displays UT plus or minus your timezone (if I remember correctly from last summer). It is, as you say, worth checking though!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

I think we might be in for a treat tonight. All this rain now normally means crystal clear skies later and with a GRS transit starting at about 00:00 and possibly a glimpse of aurora means I will be going to bed with a big smile on my face :)

Although I'm not getting my hopes up

I think we might be in for a treat tonight. All this rain now normally means crystal clear skies later and with a GRS transit starting at about 00:00 and possibly a glimpse of aurora means I will be going to bed with a big smile on my face :)

Although I'm not getting my hopes up

Fingers crossed!

:smiley:

All my gear got thoroughly soaked by passing showers - given up in disgust and both scopes etc inside to dry out  :evil:

Bad luck but it should be OK.

I spotted that lot coming (from your direction !  :smiley: ) and got my scope in just in time.

Pity, as the night had been decent for a couple of hours and the GRS was just starting to peek around the corner of the disk.

Bad luck but it should be OK.

I spotted that lot coming (from your direction !  :smiley: ) and got my scope in just in time.

Pity, as the night had been decent for a couple of hours and the GRS was just starting to peek around the corner of the disk.

I would have spotted it as well, but instead of keeping an eye on the weather I was inside the workshop working :embarrassed: while waiting for things to settle and GRS to appear.

OTA should be fine, as you say, only worry a bit about the eyepieces and finderscope and Rigel ...

At least missed the worst of it - soon after I got things back inside it started really chucking it down for a bit.

It is dry and beautiful now :huh:

Jupiter was pretty much the best I've ever seen it through my C8 last night.  I spent a bit of time experimenting with collimation and testing focus with a homebrew bakhtinov mask on Procyon, and was rewarded with very clear views of the GRS transit and quite a lot of detail across the face of the planet.  I got the moons down to tiny sharp discs for the first time.  Packed up at 2am because I had toc ome to work this morning :sad:

Archived