Narrowband

If you have never seen Jupiter's great red spot....look now

Moonshane

Showing very well at the minute and very rosy. In a newtonian it's on the top band and working its way from right to left. It's currently top right. Detail holding good at 223x and I think I am getting hints of central darkening in the spot itself.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Shane, went out again, with the platform this time. Had a good 40 mins watching it, had a good view at 240, the GRS very visible with good detail. Started to come and go towards the end but still got a sharp view without the Barlow at 120mag. Off to bed now.

What moon didn't you see? Im thinking its Callisto since its the smallest Gallilean moon

It would have probably been Callisto but depending on the hour observed last night, it would have been tucked behind Jupiter and out of view.

• 1 month later...

Awesome views tonight! I could not make out the GRS though with my Skywatcher 130 and Xcel 7mm. I think I could just about but not convincingly.. wonder if this scope should be upto the job or am I hitting a limitation in the scope?

Still very much enjoyed the session. Would love to take a peak with a 12" dob though.

Awesome views tonight! I could not make out the GRS though with my Skywatcher 130 and Xcel 7mm. I think I could just about but not convincingly.. wonder if this scope should be upto the job or am I hitting a limitation in the scope?

Still very much enjoyed the session. Would love to take a peak with a 12" dob though.

obviously not as big or quite as detailed but I was getting views like the last one in the series in this post, The orientation is the same in your scope and the spot move from right to left in our scopes. in the shot below, it is just about to disappear. if you watch for a while the majority of the sort of detail shown in this pic was visible, you just have to work for it a bit - good fun though!

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/203826-some-of-the-better-shots-from-2013/?p=2158226

That is impressive! With my scope where I am I could make out more detail than I have on previous nights but no where near these photos. I seem to be hitting focus ok but the image is pretty soft showing the two main bands and a third thinner one. I could see a difference where the GRS should be but if I had not known it was there I doubt I would have noticed.

Although it was still awesome I wonder if I could see more detail with a bot more tinkering or is this the best I can see with this combo?

just give it a good half hour of 'staring' and you'll start to see detail coming through. once you find your best focus don't touch it again as the sharpness will ebb and flow. you might only get a few seconds of true sharpness every minute.

Just saw it for the very first time tonight - but I needed 200x plus magnification.

I was swapping between different eyepieces on the Moon and Jupiter, using 210 / 230 / and even 280x.

Jupiter was best at 210x.

The red spot was clear and well defined using a Barlowed 12mm Plossl

Johns reply earlier today about using massive magnifications on the moon was to blame.

post No.10 http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/204272-6mm-delos-first-light/

Archived