Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan NEQ6 Belt Conversion?

sbooder

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a learning curve but I think I have a youtube link to the mount now!

I recognise that sound.  The sky got progressively worse so I packed away about 9pm French time.  But very pleased with the 2 hours I got in with the mount.

Sounds much better doesn't it, I look forward to seeing some imaging results, mine won't get done until next year but it looks like a mod that these mounts have been crying out for.

Here is a 30 min single sub in Ha of M33 taken last night in very bad conditions. I was happy with the guiding, but more so with the right round stars.

It was strange that when I sent a slew command to the scope, I had to watch it move because I couldn't hear it!

:D

Posted Image

Here is a 30 min single sub in Ha of M33 taken last night in very bad conditions. I was happy with the guiding, but more so with the right round stars.

It was strange that when I sent a slew command to the scope, I had to watch it move because I couldn't hear it!

:D

9y3yza3u.jpg

Nice Image.  My handset packed up twice last night because of the dew until it got called enough to solidify the it, the HS was fine after that and I did get my first ever pic of M42.  The mount was perfection, which is much more than I can say for my cone error.  Not having an illuminated reticle I had to do a daytime cone correction which was way off, so during the viewing session I had to guestamate and adjust the dovetail and bring Polaris to the edge of my 2" 28mm EP, it was much better after that.

Hi Dave,

I have noticed that there is a new measurement on the instructions of 1mm when putting on the 47 toothed pulley, is this a more accurate way of getting it to line up with the worm carrier slot?

Hi Simon,

The 1mm dimension is an extra check and places the pulley correctly on the shaft. It ensures that the shaft shoulder butts against the inner race of the bearing.

The shaft should protrude a small amount through the pulley as shown  (photo 19 in the instructions) . If it isn't the pulley could rub on the outer race of the bearing or the side of the housing.

Thanks, Dave.

Hi Simon,

The 1mm dimension is an extra check and places the pulley correctly on the shaft. It ensures that the shaft shoulder butts against the inner race of the bearing.

The shaft should protrude a small amount through the pulley as shown  (photo 19 in the instructions) . If it isn't the pulley could rub on the outer race of the bearing or the side of the housing.

Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave,

thanks for the clarification. That is pretty much as I had it when I put it together so I think I am OK there.  I am about to strip it down this weekend anyway (to change the grease) so I will double check while I am at it.

• 4 months later...

Fitted mine this week and and then came across this thread.  Great kit with good instructions and really nice to fit.  The NEq6 pro is now really tight and silky smooth as mentioned previously.  I can't wait for the cloud to clear and get imaging with it again.  Super kit.

I've also recently joined the Rowan Belt Mod Club :smile:  I think it's a well thought out kit with excellent instructions.

The mount sounds very nice indeed though I'm also impatiently waiting for a clear night to give it a complete test.

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone,

i know this thread is a little bit older, but i think the NEQ6 is still an interesting mount option (albeit it has a very strong contender now with the AZ-EQ6). My EQ6 was bought in october 2014. In december i completely disassembled the mount (also because of curiosity) and i also installed the rowan belt mod. First of all my NEQ6 didn`t have any china goo in the bearings but an almost transparent grease. Nevertheless i changed it in favor of lithium grease for the bearings and mos grease for the the worm gear. In general the gears that were installed made quite a good impression and i only exchanged two.

Unfortunately so far i didn`t record the periodic error of the mount before and after my rebuilt. The only thing i can say is that after rebuild the axis move smoother and my guiding rms is now down by a factor of two. Depending on the declination after belt conversion i now have a guiding rms between 0.4'' and 1" whereas it was more like 1'' to 2'' before. Most notably after my rebuild, the max guiding error has dropped quite alot and is usually well below 2''. I´m not sure but as far as guiding accuracy goes i might be also limited by the resolution of my guider now, which is 5.3 '' per pixel.

Anyway, i think the belt mod really boosts the EQ6 performance at a very reasonable cost. 

I´m more than happy with the NEQ6 now!

best regards

Archived