Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan NEQ6 Belt Conversion?

sbooder

I have completed the reassembly now and I think I am happy. Just a question. I notice a periodic sound that either comes from the motor pulley and belt, or is the motor itself.

I don't know whether I am hearing new things because everything is quiter, and I have a heightened sense of hearing with my ear up close?

I did notice that when I connected the motor to the mounting plates for test fitting, the motor shaft pulley appeared to be slightly too long on the motor shaft compared to the guide pulleys. Should I reduce this 3.5mm spacing a tad?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have completed the reassembly now and I think I am happy. Just a question. I notice a periodic sound that either comes from the motor pulley and belt, or is the motor itself.

I don't know whether I am hearing new things because everything is quiter, and I have a heightened sense of hearing with my ear up close?

I did notice that when I connected the motor to the mounting plates for test fitting, the motor shaft pulley appeared to be slightly too long on the motor shaft compared to the guide pulleys. Should I reduce this 3.5mm spacing a tad?

I am presuming that the belt should travel as true as possible between the guides and the motor pulley so maybe closing the gap might be an idea.

I too noticed a new noise when I was test slewing which has concerned me a little as it is quite grunty (for want of a better word).

I am presuming that the belt should travel as true as possible between the guides and the motor pulley so maybe closing the gap might be an idea.

I too noticed a new noise when I was test slewing which has concerned me a little as it is quite grunty (for want of a better word).

The sound was like ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz in a regular pattern.

I will remove the motors today, and reassess. The last thing I want is the belt to rub excessively on the guide pulleys and cause unnecessary wear.

The sound was like ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz in a regular pattern.

I will remove the motors today, and reassess. The last thing I want is the belt to rub excessively on the guide pulleys and cause unnecessary wear.

Yup same noise actually, I just ran it to check my grunt description and it is a regular z noise but I think this is the steps of the motor? Might be wrong.

Yup same noise actually, I just ran it to check my grunt description and it is a regular z noise but I think this is the steps of the motor? Might be wrong.

The sound also varied slightly with adjusting the tension of the motor installation.

I think it is difficult for Dave to be precise when it come to the tension on the belts, how can you give precise measurements. Difficult one that.

agreed.

I think the most important thing is to have the motor pulley in the same plane as the belt. Rubbing and friction could easily happen otherwise, and I have a hunch that is what my sound is. Either that, or it has always been there masked by the gravel sounds that come as stock. -_-

It might be worth getting Dave to comment on this as he is probably the best placed to know what sounds and for what reasons can be produced by any misalignment to the belt.  I was of the opinion that the whole thing would be quieter than it is but sometimes we may hope for too much?

I hate it when I miss a trick and I did not think about attaching the motor plate to the idler plate once I had the pulley in place, good thinking on your part there!!

I did not really check but is the toothed area of the pulley wider that the guides, if so this may explain why Dave said there is a level of leeway when setting the 3.5mm gap.

possibly yes. Dave earlier in this thread mentioned that 3mm is fine too, but that is still a minor reduction so you are probably correct. We should wait for Dave to comment then!

I will have to strip down the mount again anyway as I did not cure my RA stiffness, I am now wondering if it is the spacers...maybe not enough of them?  So if there is any alteration to make to the belt setup I can do it then.

New Rowan slewing vid on

Good find. One thing I have just noticed is that they have got a weight on the weight bar. My test slews I didn't, so maybe that was a cause and may be causing motor stress because of imbalance. One way to find out...... :D

Well I am not sure they have it balanced in the video because even with the one weight at the very top of the bar I cannot balance that with nothing in the dovetail clamp and they too have the newer dual head.

Hi,

I've just checked the position of the RA motor pulley on the mount here and it was set to 3.2mm. I didn't notice any significant cyclic noise although there

is a hint of ZZZzzzzzzZZZZZzzzz that doesn't come across in the video. It's difficult to evaluate if this is the belt or motor or a combination of both.

I don't know if, or what  level of  ZZZzzzZZZzz indicates a problem ??

I'll be interested in any further reports / info on this.

It is a good suggestion that kingboya made to look across the idlers and set the motor pulley to them.

There is a small variation in the thickness of the stock material we use for the mounting plates and this could reduce the working tolerance of the 3.5mm setting.

If you take the motor assembly it probably easier to set the motor pulley to visually centre everything.  If that is a better method I'll update the fitting instructions.

The video shows the mount slewing a counter weight which gives a fairly heavy imbalance just to load up the drive as a test. With no counter weight there is less imbalance.

Thanks, Dave.

Nice one Dave.  I am going to eyeball the motor pulley with the idlers and see if there is any significant change in both sound and performance not that it is not performing as it should but it could always make it worse!

Hi,

I've just checked the position of the RA motor pulley on the mount here and it was set to 3.2mm. I didn't notice any significant cyclic noise although there

is a hint of ZZZzzzzzzZZZZZzzzz that doesn't come across in the video. It's difficult to evaluate if this is the belt or motor or a combination of both.

I don't know if, or what level of ZZZzzzZZZzz indicates a problem ??

I'll be interested in any further reports / info on this.

It is a good suggestion that kingboya made to look across the idlers and set the motor pulley to them.

There is a small variation in the thickness of the stock material we use for the mounting plates and this could reduce the working tolerance of the 3.5mm setting.

If you take the motor assembly it probably easier to set the motor pulley to visually centre everything. If that is a better method I'll update the fitting instructions.

The video shows the mount slewing a counter weight which gives a fairly heavy imbalance just to load up the drive as a test. With no counter weight there is less imbalance.

Thanks, Dave.

Thanks Dave.

I am just reinstalling the motors, but using 3mm instead. The RA axis as a result is better. Standby for further........ :D

Right. Both axes reinstalled. I thought the RA was much better, but the Dec now at 3mm is now perfect. There are absolutely no others sounds or noises except the motor noise! :D

I will go a tad further with the ra axis to try and get that one spot on.

I am confident that my extra noises albeit only slight, were from misalignment of the belt with the motor. 3.5mm may need to be a bit flexible?

Good work .

The 3.5mm dimension was too generous. Yes it will be best to set by eye as your photo shows. Thanks.

There was a query about belt tension.

This is again difficult to put a measurable figure to.

Once the belt has been engaged both pulleys, it should be set with light finger pressure only, pushing on the motor or motor plate.

It definitely does not need levering with a screw driver or such. That would be far too tight.

Thanks again, Dave.

Archived