Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

iPod app recommendations for use with binoculars

themos

Hello everyone, 

I'd like to try an iPod app to replace Stellarium when I am using my mirror mounted 15x70. I need to be able to customise the Field Of View (including the extra vertical flip of my setup), adjust brightness of stars to match what I see, star magnitudes down to 10, Messier and NGC/IC catalogs, variable and  double star catalog, comet, asteroid, artificial sattelites, easy switch to larger views to plan a starhop , etc. What is your favourite?

Hi

Having used Sky Safari for a while I recently stumbled upon an app called Luminos... This has become my favourite app to support observing through the scope and bins. The app has a range of object categories (solar system, Messier, comets, satellites etc) you can also set the fov and flip images to match the view. Not sure if it's exactly what you're after but it might be worth checking out?

Hope that helps...

I've tried both Sky Safari and Luminos - both great apps.

My view is that Sky Safari is more feature rich than Luminos and is the one I use when out in the field.

However it is more expensive and the differences are not that great so in these straightened times Luminos is a very attractive package.

Another consideration is that if like me you are planning on using your iPad/iPod to remote control your mount Luminos only support Astro-Physics, Celestron, Meade, iOptron, and LX200 Compatible mounts.

The conspicuous omission being Skywatcher which is supported on Sky Safari.

The other functionality of Sky Safari that I could not find in Luminos was the ability to export your custom observing lists in various formats. If like me you enjoy keeping track of your previous observing sessions but don't want to have a huge number of lists on your App then this is a handy feature.

Hello everyone, 

I'd like to try an iPod app to replace Stellarium when I am using my mirror mounted 15x70. I need to be able to customise the Field Of View (including the extra vertical flip of my setup), adjust brightness of stars to match what I see, star magnitudes down to 10, Messier and NGC/IC catalogs, variable and  double star catalog, comet, asteroid, artificial sattelites, easy switch to larger views to plan a starhop , etc. What is your favourite?

I bought Luminos and so far I am very pleased with it, it does most of the things on the list (haven't seen variable/double star info yet).

• 3 weeks later...

I use both SkySafari plus and Luminos.

I use Luminos almost exclusively for the kit lists and for calculating fields of view and exit pupil. I find the planetarium in SkySafari nicer to use for some reason.

Stu

Archived